Oh, What Those Oats Can Do. Quaker Oats, the Food and Drug Administration, and the Market Value of Scientific Evidence 1984 to 2010
Article first published online: 13 DEC 2011
© 2011 Institute of Food Technologists®
Comprehensive Reviews in Food Science and Food Safety
Volume 11, Issue 1, pages 56–99, January 2012
How to Cite
Fitzsimmons, R. (2012), Oh, What Those Oats Can Do. Quaker Oats, the Food and Drug Administration, and the Market Value of Scientific Evidence 1984 to 2010. Comprehensive Reviews in Food Science and Food Safety, 11: 56–99. doi: 10.1111/j.1541-4337.2011.00170.x
- Issue published online: 13 DEC 2011
- Article first published online: 13 DEC 2011
- MS 20111129 Submitted 9/1/2011, Accepted 9/22/2011.
- 2009. Personal interview. .
- 2010. Personal interview. .
- 1985a.Continued FDA-FTC split on food claims suggested at NFPA meeting. Food Chem News 28–9. .
- 1985b. CSPI asks for food industry moratorium on health claims. Food Chem News 3–5. .
- 1989 What to eat? confusion is the main course. New York Times, p. 172. .
- 1990. Foodbusters. New York Times, A30. , .
- 1988. F.D.A. faulted for shift on food label rules. New York Times , C4. , .
- 1990. Congress votes bill on labeling of food and health claims. New York Times, A1. .
- 1992. Honest food labels? fat chance. New York Times, A26. .
- 20002008. PepsiCo, Inc. Annual report. Purchase , N.Y. : PepsiCo, Inc. .
- 2009. Form 10-K: fiscal year 2009. Edgar Search. Mergent Online. Boston , Mass. : Harvard Business School Baker Library. Available from: http://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/77476/000119312509033126/d10k.htm. .
- 1996. Quaker Oats Company. Advertisement. Why is this man smiling? New York Times, A40. , .
- 1997a. Quaker, gen’l mills start oat bran ads. Advertising Age, p. 12. ,
- 1997b. Advertisement. Now he has another reason to smile! New York Times, A15. , .
- 2000. Profile: Polly Kawalek, Chicago-Booth Magazine, Spring 2000. ,
- 2010a. Advertisement. Yours in health, wealth, and a good breakfast. Online image. Cosmopolitan November 1896. Magazine Art: Vintage Magazine Cover and Advertising Art from the Golden Age of American Illustration. Available from: http://www.magazineart.org/main.php/v/ads/foodandbev/breakfast/QuakerOats-1896A.gif.html. , .
- 2010b. Advertisement. Quaker oats: the great American breakfast. Good Housekeeping November 1926. Magazine Art: Vintage Magazine Cover and Advertising Art from the Golden Age of American Illustration. Available from: http://www.magazineart.org/main.php/v/ads/foodandbev/breakfast/QuakerOats-1926A.gif.html. , .
- 2010c. Advertisement. Quaker breakfast cookies. Available from: http://www.quakeroats.com/products/oat-snacks/breakfast-cookies/oatmeal-chocolate-chip.aspx. , .
- 2010d. Advertisement. Quaker instant oatmeal. Available from: http://www.quakeroats.com/products/oatmeal/instant-oatmeal/original.aspx. Accessed Jan. 4, 2010. , .
- 2010e. Advertisement. Quaker oatmeal to go. Available from: http://www.quakeroats.com/products/oat-snacks/oatmeal-to-go-bars/brown-sugar-and-cinnamon.aspx. Accessed Jan. 4, 2010. , .
- 2010f. Advertisement. Quaker products. Available from: http://www.quakeroats.com/products.aspx. Accessed Jan. 4, 2010. , .
- 2010g. Annual report. Chicago : Quaker Oats Company, 1989–2000. , .
- 2010h. Quaker oats announces re-positioning of business to focus on power of the whole grain oat. Available from: http://www.pepsico.com/PressRelease/Quaker-Oats-Announces-Re-Positioning of-Business-t.html. Accessed Feb. 4, 2010. , .
- 1989. stop: states crack down on misleading food claims. Business Week, Sep. 25. ,
- United States. Cong. Rec. 1990a. Jul. 30, 5844.
- United States. Cong. Rec.1990b. Cong. Pure food and drug act. united states statutes at large. 59th Cong., 1st Sess., Chp. 3915, Sec. 1.
- United States.. Dept. of Health and Human Services. 1993. Food and drug administration. food labeling; general requirements for health claims for food. Federal Register 58 (Jan. 6).
- 1986. What has all-bran wrought? Consumer Reports, October, 638–9. .
- 1989. Appetite for change: how the counterculture took on the food industry. New York : Pantheon. .
- 2007 The foreign policy of the calorie. Am Hist Rev 112.2 (November):337–65. .
- 2006. Consumers’ use of nutritional labels: a review of research studies and issues, Academy of Marketing Science Review, 9. Available from: http://www.amsreview.org/articles/drichoutis09--2006.pdf. ., , .
- 1990. L’Homnivore. Paris : Odile Jacob. .
- 2000. The state, health, and nutrition. The Cambridge World History of Food. Cambridge , U.K. : Cambridge UP. p 1577–84. .
- 2000. US government regulation of food with claims for special physiological value. In: Mary KS, Theodore PL, editors. Essentials of functional foods. New York : Springer. p 399–63. .
- 2004. The business of brands. Chichester , West Sussex , U.K. : Wiley. , .
- 2000. Nutrition and heart-related diseases. The Cambridge world history of food. Cambridge , U.K. : Cambridge UP. p 1097–9. , .
- 2005. The omnivore's dilemma: a natural history of four meals. New York : Penguin. .
- 1980. Food: an authoritative and visual history of the foods of the world. New York : Smithmark. .
- Top 10 cereal brands. 1996. Advertising Age, Sep. 30, S14.
- 1997. Breaking up America: advertisers and the new media world. Chicago : Chicago UP. .
Works Consulted Primary Sources
- American Heart Association. 2009. Nutrition labeling: AHA advocacy position. Available from: http://www.americanheart.org/print_presenter.jhtml?identifier=4631. Accessed Dec. 5.
- 1969. Related disease—related cause? Lancet 6 (December):1229–31. .
- 1989. Can corn flakes cure cancer? Business Week, Oct. 9. .
- 1812. Treatise on materia medica. Benjamin SB, editor. Philadelphia : Edward Parker. .
- 1988. Cholesterol report sows wild run on oat bran products. Los Angeles Times, Dec. 10. .
- 1986. Read the label: reducing risk by providing information. Boulder , Colo. : Westview. .
- 2007. Hot consumer campaign: quaker opens ‘smart heart café.’ Successful Promotions, Nov. 14. .
- 1994. Quaker oats to buy snapple for $1.7 billion—pact is viewed as averting unwanted takeover; analysts call price high. Wall Street Journal, Nov. 3, A3. .
- 1997. Quaker to sell snapple for $300 million—unit's sale to triarc cos. to mean pretax charge of about $1.4 billion. Wall Street Journal, Mar. 28, A3. , , .
- 2002. Sorry marge. Meanjin 61.3–4:108–16. .
- 1998. The merry wives of windsor. John DW, editor. Cambridge : Cambridge UP, 2009. 42 (III.1.60). .
- 1993. Cereal Killers: Store brands are laying siege to ready-to-eat cereals, using the big brands’ own marketing tactics. Brand Week, Jan. 11, 15–8. .
- United States. Cong. House. 1993. Dept. of Health and Human Services. Food and drug administration. Food labeling: health claims; fruits, vegetables, and grain products that contain fiber, particularly soluble fiber, and risk of coronary heart disease. Federal Register, Jan. 6.
- United States. Cong. House. 1994. Cong. Senate. S 784. Dietary supplement health and education act of 1994. 103rd Cong. 2nd Sess. Washington , D.C. : GPO.
- United States. Cong. House. 1996. Dept. of Health and Human Services. Food and drug administration. Food labeling: health claims; oats and coronary heart disease; proposed rule. Federal Register, Jan. 4.
- United States. Cong. House. 1997. Cong. Senate. S 510. Food and drug administration modernization act of 1997. 105th Cong. 1st Sess. Washington , D.C. : GPO.
- 2009. Quaker oats jumps on health and wellness bandwagon. Brand Week, Mar. 9. Available from http://www.brandweek.com/bw/content_display/news-and-features/promotion-incentive/e3ia82652ffac56b32ea9bea49424dab704. .
- 2001. Be healthy: the Harvard medical school guide to healthy eating. New York : Free Press. ,
- 2008. State of the art reviews: the oatmeal cholesterol connection: 10 years later. Am J Lifestyle Med 2:51–8. , .
- 2000. Are some comparative nutrition claims misleading? the role of nutrition knowledge, ad claim type and disclosure conditions. J Advert 29.3(Autumn):29–42. , , .
- 1997. Sociology on the menu: an invitation to the study of food and society. London : Routledge. , .
- 1990. All about breakfast cereal; the snap has turned to slog. New York Times, Nov. 18, 35.
- 1997. Food, health, and identity. London : Routledge. . editor.
- 1990. History of health claims regulation. Food Drug Cosmetic Law J 45:655–91. , , .
- 1987. The new FDA position on health-related messages for food products and constitutionally protected speech. Food Drug Cosmetic Law J 42:365–92. .
- 1993. The NLEA, health claims, and the first amendment. Food Drug Law J 48:631–64. , .
- 1997. The mirror makers: a history of American advertising & its creators. Urbana : Illinois UP. .
- 1996. Advertising and popular culture. Thousand Oaks , Calif. : Sage. .
- 2005. New food product development: from concept to marketplace. Boca Raton : CRC Press. .
- 1991. editors. Food product development: from concept to the marketplace. New York : Chapman and Hall, , ,
- 2007. Can't stomach it: how michael pollan et al. made me want to eat cheetos. Gastronomica Summer:75–9. .
- 2005. Functional foods: what are they? how are they regulated? what claims can be made? Am J Law Med 31:305–40. .
- 2005. Inside the FDA: the business and politics behind the drugs we take and the food we eat. Hoboken , N.J. : Wiley. .
- 2001. Functional foods: regulatory and marketing developments. Food Drug Law J 56:1997–225. .
- 1991. Food and drug law: cases and materials. 2nd ed. Westbury , N.Y. : Foundation Press. , .
- 2002. Advertising nutrition and health: evidence from food advertising 1977–1997. Federal trade commission bureau of economics. Washington , D.C. : GPO. , .
- 2004. Marketing: the core. Boston : McGraw-Hill. , , .
- 2004. Principles of marketing. 10th ed. Upper Saddle River , N.J. : Pearson. , .
- 1986. Social communication in advertising: persons, products, and images of well-being. New York : Methuen. , , .
- 1999. Health claims in food advertising and labeling: disseminating nutrition information to consumers. Agric Inf Bull 750 (May):189–212. , .
- 1998. So you want to market a food and make health-related claims—how far can you go? what rules of law will govern the claims you want to make? Food Drug Law J 53:421–36. .
- 2005. The visionary package: using packaging to build effective brands. New York : Palgrave MacMillan. , .
- 1995. Everybody eats: supermarket consumers in the 1990s. Ithaca , N.Y. : American Demographics Books. .
- 2000. Food Labeling. The Cambridge world history of food. Cambridge , U.K. : Cambridge UP. p 1621–8. .
- 1974. Advertising as information. Journal of Polit Econ 82.4 (July to August):729–54. .
- 2005. Nutraceuticals: in the realm of consumer protection, is the united states’ regulation too much or not enough? J Med Law 9:369–88. .
- 2003. Food for health: the use of nutrient content, health, and structure/function claims in food advertisements. J Advert 32.3(Autumn):47–55. .
- 2006. Food is love: food advertising and gender roles in modern America. Philadelphia : Pennsylvania UP. .
- 1998. No foreign food: the American diet in time and place. Boulder , Colo. : Westview. .
- 1983. The making of modern advertising. New York : Basic Books. .
- 1990. Product health claims and the first amendment: scientific expression and the twilight zone of commercial speech. Vanderbilt Law Rev 43:1433–61. .
- 2007. Policing pleasure: food, drugs, and the politics of ingestion. Gastronomica summer:53–61. .
- 2001. Fast food nation: the dark side of the all-American meal. New York : Houghton-Mifflin. .
- 2004. Something from the oven: reinventing dinner in 1950s america. New York : Viking. .
- 1995. Epidemiological studies: a practical guide. New York : Cambridge UP. .
- 1986. The federal trade commission's view on health claims. Food Drug Cosmetic Law J 41:105–10. .
- 2003. Understanding corporate reports: a user's guide. Hoboken , N.J. : John Wiley and Sons. , .
- 1999. The end of paternalism: a new approach to food labeling. Food Drug Law J 54:401–22. , .
- 1989. Satisfaction guaranteed: the making of the American mass market. New York : Pantheon. .
- 2000. Advertising and the mind of the consumer: what works, what doesn’t, and why. St. Leonards , New South Wales , AU : Allen and Unwin. , .
- 1988. Health claims for foods: present law, future policy. Food Drug Cosmetic Law J 43:603–35. .
- 1991. The value-added chain approach as a method of assessing business strategies. Helsinki : The Helsinki School of Economics and Business Administration. .