2 Comprehensive Reviews in Food Science and Food Safety
Principles of Microwave Combination Heating
Version of Record online: 3 JAN 2013
© 2012 Institute of Food Technologists®
Comprehensive Reviews in Food Science and Food Safety
Volume 12, Issue 1, pages 24–39, January 2013
How to Cite
Datta, A.K. and Rakesh, V. (2013), Principles of Microwave Combination Heating. Comprehensive Reviews in Food Science and Food Safety, 12: 24–39. doi: 10.1111/j.1541-4337.2012.00211.x
- Issue online: 3 JAN 2013
- Version of Record online: 3 JAN 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 21 SEP 2012
- Manuscript Received: 4 JUN 2012
- National Research Initiative. Grant Number: 2003–35503—13737
- Anonymous. 1998. Fighting the good fight against gloppy peas. The New York Times, August 30, 1998.
- 2000. The science of cooking. Springer-Verlag, Berlin.
- 1991. The basic basics combination & microwave cookbook. Grub St.: London.
- 1992. Microwave cooking and processing for the food scientist. Van Nostrand Reinhold: New York.
- 1998b. Understanding and improvements of microwave oven heating. Proceedings of the Appliance Manufacturer Conference and Expo; 1998 October 12–14; Nashville, TN.
- 2007. Porous media approaches to studying simultaneous heat and mass transfer in food processes. I: Problem formulations. J Food Engr 80(1):80–95.
- 1985. Microwaves in the food processing industry. New York: Academic Press.
- 2001. Basic principles for using a home microwave oven. In: Datta AK, Anantheswaran RC, editors. Handbook of microwave technology for food applications. Boca Raton, FL: CRC Press.
- LG Electronics. 1997. Microwave oven in combination with induction heating cooker. US Patent No. 5698125.
- 2011. Food container for microwave oven. Japanese Patent Number: JP 2011073735.
- 1984. On food and cooking: The science and lore of kitchen. New York: Collier Books.
- Sharp. 2011. Sharp Super Steam Oven operation manual. Model AX1200. Available from: http://files.sharpusa.com/Downloads/ForHome/HomeAppliances/SuperSteamOvens/Manuals/ssomanAX1200.pdf. Accessed 2011 August 15.
- 2011. Self-adhesive bags for steam-cooking in a microwave oven. UK Patent Number: GB 2 478 282 A
- 2001. Packaging techniques for microwaveable foods. In: Datta AK, Anantheswaran RC, editors. Handbook of Microwave Technology for Food Applications. Boca Raton, FL: CRC Press. , .
- 2002. Handbook of microwave technology for food applications. Boca Raton, FL: CRC Press. , .
- 2005. Properties relevant to infrared heating of foods. In: Rao MA, Rizvi SSH, Datta, AK, editors. Engineering Properties of Foods. Boca Raton, FL: Taylor & Francis. , .
- 2000. Infrared and hot-air-assisted microwave heating of foods for control of surface moisture. J Food Engr 51(4):355–64. , .
- 2000. Simulation of microwave, conventional and hybrid ovens using a new thermal modeling technique. J Microwave Power Electromagnetic Energy 35:34–43. , .
- 2001. Analysis of heat and mass transfer during combined microwave-convective spouted-bed drying. Drying Technol 19(34–):485–506. , .
- 1996. Cake baking in conventional, impingement and hybrid ovens. J of Food Sci 61(1):188–91. , .
- 2007. Baking fundamentals. Upper Saddle River, New Jersey: Pearson//Prentice Hall. , .
- 1990. The microwave convection oven cookbook. Mount Vernon: Consumers Union. , .
- 2000. Drying of steamed Asian ginseng (Panax ginseng) roots by microwave-hot air combination. Pharmazie 55(2):124–28. , .
- 1986. Microwave-convection versus electric range ovens—Tradeoffs in energy use, time and food quality. J Microwave Power Electromagnetic Energy 21:1–8. , .
- 2005. The microwave processing of foods. Boca Raton, FL: CRC Press. , .
- 2001. Ingredient interactions and product development for microwave heating. In: Datta AK, Anantheswaran, RC, editors. Handbook of microwave technology for food applications. Boca Raton, FL: CRC Press. , .
- 2011. Texture prediction during deep frying: a mechanistic approach. J Food Engr 108:111–21. , .
- 2001. Generation and release of food aromas under microwave heating. In: Datta AK, Anantheswaran RC, editors. Handbook of microwave technology for food applications. Boca Raton, FL: CRC Press. , .
- 1995. A quality comparison of breads baked by conventional versus nonconventional ovens—a review. J Sci Food Agric 67(3):283–91. , .
- 2001. Electromagnetics of microwave heating: Magnitude and uniformity of energy absorption. In: Datta AK, Anantheswaran RC, editors. Handbook of microwave technology for food applications. Boca Raton, FL: CRC Press. , .
- 2003. Microwave power absorption in single- and multiple-item foods. Trans Inst Chem Engr. 81C:257–66. , .
- 2005. Dynamic optimization of complex distributed process systems. Chem Engr Res Design 83:724–29. , , .
- 2001. Mathematical modeling of impingement drying of corn tortillas. J Food Engr 50:121–28. , , .
- 2005. Microwave combination heating. Food Technol 59(1):36–40. , , .
- 2007. Modeling the heating uniformity contributed by a rotating turntable in microwave ovens. J Food Engr 82(3):359–68. , , .
- 2008. Heat transfer in a combination microwave-jet impingement oven. Trans ICheme- Part C: Food Bioproducts Process 86:53–63. , , .
- 1997. Microwave and air drying I. Fundamental considerations and assumptions for the simplified thermal calculations of volumetric power absorption. J Food Engr 33(1–2):207–19. , , .
- 2010. Combined microwave and convection heating: a conjugate approach. J Food Engr 97:31–39. , , .
- 2005. Microwave-convective drying characteristics of pharmaceutical powders. Powder Technol 153(1):23–33. , , .
- 2009. Surface heat transfer coefficients in food processing. In: Rahman MS, editor. Food properties handbook. Boca Raton, FL: CRC Press. , , .
- 1980. Differences among top round steaks cooked by dry or moist heat in a conventional or a microwave oven. J Food Sci 45(4):777–81. , , .
- 2002. Food chemistry: acrylamide is formed in the Maillard reaction. Nature 419:448–49. , , .
- 1999. Moisture transport in intensive microwave heating of biomaterials: a multiphase porous media model. Intl J Heat Mass Transfer 42(8):1501–12. , , .
- 1991. Drying of Agaricus bisporus mushrooms by microwave hot air combination. Food Science and Technology, Lebensmittel-Wissenschaft & Technologie 24(6):479–83. , , .
- 2005. Microwave, infrared and infrared-microwave combination baking of cakes. J Food Engr 71(2):150–55. , , .
- 2000. Impact of impingement on cooking time and food quality. J Food Engr 43:179–87. , , .
- 2009. Radiative heat exchange modeling inside an oven. Am Inst Chem Engr J 55(9):2448–60. , , , .
- 2011. Mathematical model of pork slice drying using superheated steam. J Food Engr 104(4):499–507. , , , .
- 2012. Microwave combination heating: coupled electromagnetics- multiphase porous media modeling and MRI experimentation. AIChE J 58(4):1262–78. , , , , .
- 2010. Heat transfer during microwave combination heating: Computational modeling and MRI experiments. Am Inst Chem Engr J 56(9):2468–78. , , , , .
- 2007. Transport and related properties of breads baked using various heating modes. J Food Engr 78(4):1382–87. , , , , .
- 2003. Computation of airflow effects on heat and mass transfer in a microwave oven. J Food Engr 59:181–90. , , , , .
- 2011. A study on degree of starch gelatinization in cakes baked in three different ovens. Food Bioprocess Technol 4(7):1237–44. , , , , , .
- 2002. A combined electromagnetic and heat transfer model for heating of foods in microwave combination ovens. J Microwave Power Electromagnetic Energy 37(2):97–111. , , , , , , , , .