The author wishes to acknowledge the Family and Parenting Institute in the United Kingdom, who invited him to present a keynote address at their “Parent Child Conference 2006” in the New Connaught Rooms, London, UK, on November 14, 2006. That address, though changed considerably in the intervening period, provided the basis for this article. The author also wishes to acknowledge Elizabeth Rowe and Kasia Waldegrave in New Zealand and Carol Halliwell in the United Kingdom for critiquing drafts of this paper and for contributing helpful suggestions to improve it. Further helpful suggestions were made by the editor and referees of this journal, for which the author is grateful. Finally, he wishes to acknowledge the ongoing support, knowledge, and broad experience of his colleagues at the Family Centre, who have helped shape the views and challenges outlined in this article over thirty years. All the aforementioned persons are not responsible for the views outlined, which are those of the author.
Cultural, Gender, and Socioeconomic Contexts in Therapeutic and Social Policy Work
Article first published online: 27 FEB 2009
2009 © FPI, Inc.
Volume 48, Issue 1, pages 85–101, March 2009
How to Cite
WALDEGRAVE, C. (2009), Cultural, Gender, and Socioeconomic Contexts in Therapeutic and Social Policy Work. Family Process, 48: 85–101. doi: 10.1111/j.1545-5300.2009.01269.x
- Issue published online: 27 FEB 2009
- Article first published online: 27 FEB 2009
This article has been cited by:
- 2Visions of the 21st Century Family: Transforming Structures and Identities, 2014,,
- 3Community Family Therapy: A Model for Family and Community Problem Solving and Development in South America, Journal of Family Psychotherapy, 2013, 24, 2, 155, ,
- 4Reflections on Family Therapy in Australia, Contemporary Family Therapy, 2013, 35, 2, 400,
- 5The ‘Rainbow Nation’ way of teaching sensitivity to diversity for social work with groups, Groupwork, 2012, 22, 1, 27,
- 6Witnessing Life Transitions with Ritual and Ceremony in Family Therapy: Three Examples from a Metis Therapist, Journal of Systemic Therapies, 2012, 31, 3, 68,
- You have free access to this content8