Inside-Out and Outside-In? Global Development Theory, Policy, and Youth
Article first published online: 8 NOV 2011
© 2011 by the American Anthropological Association.
Special Issue: Psychological Anthropology and Adolescent Well-Being: Steps Toward Bridging Research, Practice, and Policy
Volume 39, Issue 4, pages 432–451, December 2011
How to Cite
Worthman, C. M. (2011), Inside-Out and Outside-In? Global Development Theory, Policy, and Youth. Ethos, 39: 432–451. doi: 10.1111/j.1548-1352.2011.01211.x
- Issue published online: 8 NOV 2011
- Article first published online: 8 NOV 2011
- W. T. Grant Foundation. Grant Number: DS804 383–2854
- Russell Sage Foundation Faculty Scholarship
- 2007 Global Perspectives on the Sexual and Reproductive Health of Adolescents: Patterns, Prevention, and Potential. Lancet 369(9568):1220–1231. , , , and
- 1964 Human Capital: A Theoretical and Empirical Analysis, with Special Reference to Education. New York: National Bureau of Economic Research.
- 1997 Delayed Reciprocity and Tolerated Theft: The Behavioral Ecology of Food Sharing Strategies. Current Anthropology 38(1):49–78. , and
- 2008 Cultural and Community Determinants of Subjective Social Status among Cherokee and White Youth. Ethnicity and Health 13(4):289–303. , , , , , and
- 2009a Cultural Models and Fertility Timing among Cherokee and White Youth in Appalachia: Beyond the Mode. American Anthropologist 111(4):420–431. , , and
- 2009b Moving from Ethnography to Epidemiology: Lessons Learned in Appalachia. Annals of Human Biology 36(3):248–260. , , , , , and
- 2009c Lifecourse Priorities among Appalachian Emerging Adults: Revisiting Wallace's Organization of Diversity. Ethos 37(2):225–242. , , , , and
- 2006 The Life Course Trajectory Interview (LCT): Method Development and Psychometrics of a Measure to Assess Cognitive Models and Achievement across the Life Span. International Journal of Methods in Psychiatric Research 15:192–206. , , and
- 2005 Education for All Global Monitoring Report 2006: Literacy for Life. Paris: UN Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization.
- 2006 Demographic Transition Theory. Dordrecht, the Netherlands: Springer.
- 2009 Human Capital, the Structure of Production, and Growth. Review of Economics and Statistics 91(1):66–82. , and
- 2006 Literacy and Growth. Topics in Macroeconomics 6(2):Article 4. http://www.bepress.com/bejm/topics/vol6/iss2/art4/, accessed September 10, 2011. , and
- 2004 Youth in Extreme Poverty: Dimensions and Country Responses. In World Youth Report, 2003: The Global Situation of Young People. New York: United Nations.
- 2009 Cultural Consonance, a 5ht2a Receptor Polymorphism, and Depressive Symptoms: A Longitudinal Study of Gene X Culture Interaction in Urban Brazil. American Journal of Human Biology 21(1):91–97. , , , and
- 2007 Cultural Consonance and Psychological Distress: Examining the Associations in Multiple Cultural Domains. Culture Medicine and Psychiatry 31(2):195–224. , , , and
- 2007 What Is Intelligence? Beyond the Flynn Effect. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
- 2010 Increased Educational Attainment and Its Effect on Child Mortality in 175 Countries between 1970 and 2009: A Systematic Analysis. Lancet 376(9745):959–974. , , , and
- 2000 Remembering What One Knows and the Construction of the Past: A Comparison of Cultural Consensus Theory and Cultural Schema Theory. Ethos 28(3):275–319.
- 2009 Contributions of Societal Modernity to Cognitive Development: A Comparison of Four Cultures. Child Development 80(6):1628–1542. , and
- 2003 Child Poverty in the Developing World. Bristol, UK: Policy. , , , , and
- 1932 The Effect of Schooling upon Income. Bloomington: University of Indiana Press.
- 2007 Developmental Potential in the First 5 Years for Children in Developing Countries. Lancet 369(9555):60–70. , , , , , and
- 1986 The Modern Demographic Transition: An Analysis of Subsistence Choices and Reproductive Consequences. American Anthropologist 88(2):400–417.
- 2003 The Consequences of Global Educational Expansion. Cambridge, MA: American Academy of Arts and Sciences. , and
- 2008 The Role of Cognitive Skills in Economic Development. Journal of Economic Literature 46(3):607–668. , and
- International Labor Organization 2009 Global Employment Trends-Update. Geneva: International Labor Organization.
- 2005 When the Future Decides: Uncertainty and Intentional Action in Contemporary Cameroon. Current Anthropology 46(3):363–385.
- 2005 Quality Education for All Young People: Challenges, Trends and Priorities. Quarterly Review of Comparative Education 35:5–12.
- 1994 Evolutionary and Wealth Flows Theories of Fertility: Empirical Tests and New Models. Population and Development Review 20(4):753–791.
- 2000 A Theory of Human Life History Evolution: Diet, Intelligence, and Longevity. Evolutionary Anthropology 9(4):156–185. , , , and
- 2006 MAOA, Maltreatment, and Gene-Environment Interaction Predicting Children's Mental Health: New Evidence and a Meta-Analysis. Molecular Psychiatry 11(10):903–913. , , , , , , and
- 2009 Human Development Report 2009. New York: Palgrave Macmillan.
- 2008 Comparison of Mental Health between Former Child Soldiers and Children Never Conscripted by Armed Groups in Nepal. JAMA 300(6):691–702. , , , , , , and
- 2001 Education for Growth: Why and for Whom? Journal of Economic Literature 34(4):1101–1136. , and
- 2001 “Improve the Women”: Mass Schooling, Female Literacy, and Worldwide Social Change. Harvard Educational Review 71:1–50. , , and
- Lloyd, Cynthia B., ed. 2006 Growing up Global: The Changing Transitions to Adulthood in Developing Countries. Washington, DC: National Academies Press.
- 2006 The Burden of Disease and Mortality by Condition: Data, Methods, and Results for 2001. In Global Burden of Disease and Risk Factors. A. D. Lopez, C. D. Mathers, M. Ezzati, D. T. Jamison, and C. J. L. Murray, eds. Pp. 45–240. New York: World Bank–Oxford University Press. , , and
- 2009 Epigenetic Regulation of the Glucocorticoid Receptor in Human Brain Associates with Childhood Abuse. Nature Neuroscience 12(3):342–348. , , , , , , , and
- 2006 Thinking About Youth Poverty through the Lenses of Chronic Poverty, Life-Course Poverty and Intergenerational Poverty, CRPC Working Paper, 57. Manchester: Chronic Poverty Research Center, Manchester University.
- 2000 Women and Human Development: The Capabilities Approach. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
- 2011 Creating Capabilities: The Human Development Approach. Cambridge, MA: Harvard University Press.
- 2007a Treatment and Prevention of Mental Disorders in Low-Income and Middle-Income Countries. Lancet 370(9591):991–1005. , , , , , , , , , and
- 2007b Mental Health of Young People: A Global Public-Health Challenge. Lancet 369(9569):1302–1313. , , , and
- 2007 Pubertal Transitions in Health. Lancet 369(9567):1130–1139. , and
- 2001 Where Has All the Education Gone? World Bank Economic Review 15(3):367–391.
- 2004 Human Development and Economic Growth. Discussion paper, 887. New Haven, CT: Economic Growth Center, Yale University.
- 2002 Risky Families: Family Social Environments and the Mental and Physical Health of Offspring. Psychological Bulletin 128(2):330–366. , , and
- 1979 Equality of What? Tanner Lecture on Human Values. May 22, 1979. Stanford: Stanford University.
- 1999 Development as Freedom. New York: Knopf.
- 1996 Culture in Mind: Cognition, Culture, and the Problem of Meaning. New York: Oxford University Press.
- 2008 A Social Neuroscience Perspective on Adolescent Risk-Taking. Developmental Review 28(1):78–106.
- 1997 A Cognitive Theory of Cultural Meaning. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press. , and
- 2005 The Political Benefits of Adult Literacy. Paper commissioned for the EFA Global Monitoring Report 2006, Literacy for Life. http://unesdoc.unesco.org/images/0014/001461/146187e.pdf, accessed September 10, 2011.
- 2008 Neural Bases of Moderation of Cortisol Stress Responses by Psychosocial Resources. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology 95(1):197–211. , , , , , and
- 2006 Early Family Environment, Current Adversity, the Serotonin Transporter Promoter Polymorphism, and Depressive Symptomatology. Biological Psychiatry 60(7):671–676. , , , , , and
- 1990 Human Development Report 1990. New York: Oxford University Press.
- UNICEF 2008 State of the World's Children Report 2009. New York: UNICEF.
- United Nations 2005 World Youth Report 2005: Young People Today, and in 2015. New York: United Nations.
- 1935 Capital Concept Applied to Man. Quarterly Journal of Economics 49(2):255–285.
- 2007 Human Development Report 2007/8. Fighting Climate Change: Human Solidarity in a Divided World. New York: Palgrave Macmillan.
- 2008 Education for All Global Monitoring Report 2009. Oxford: Oxford University Press and UNESCO.
- 2006 Child Soldiers: From Violence to Protection. Cambridge, MA: Harvard University Press.
- 2005 The Impact of Inequality: How to Make Sick Societies Healthier. New York: New Press.
- World Bank 2006 World Development Report 2007: Development and the Next Generation. Washington, DC: World Bank.
- 2009 Child Survival and Health. In Handbook of Cross-Cultural Developmental Science. Marc H. Bornstein, ed. Pp. 41–79. Mahwah, NJ: Erlbaum.
- 2009 Tracking Biocultural Pathways to Health Disparities: The Use of Biomarkers. Annals of Human Biology 36(3):281–297. , and