MAGIC WITH A MESSAGE: The Poetics of Christian Conjuring
Article first published online: 2 MAY 2012
© 2012 by the American Anthropological Association
Volume 27, Issue 2, pages 193–214, May 2012
Total views since publication: 29
How to Cite
JONES, G. M. (2012), MAGIC WITH A MESSAGE: The Poetics of Christian Conjuring. Cultural Anthropology, 27: 193–214. doi: 10.1111/j.1548-1360.2012.01140.x
- Issue published online: 2 MAY 2012
- Article first published online: 2 MAY 2012
- 2004 What a Fellowship: A History of the Fellowship of Christian Magicians. Maple Grove , MN : Fellowship of Christian Magicians. , and
- 2007 Tommy Angel. Cabinet 26:106–108.
- 1987 Bible Believers: Fundamentalists in the Modern World. New Brunswick : Rutgers University Press.
- 1993 Mine Eyes Have Seen the Glory: A Journey into the Evangelical Subculture in America. New York : Oxford University Press.
- 1972 Steps to an Ecology of Mind. New York : Ballantine.
- 2006 The Miracles of Jesus. 150 min. British Broadcasting Corporation. London . , and , dirs.
- 1992 Genre, Intertextuality, and Social Power. Journal of Linguistic Anthropology 2(2):131–172. , and
- Routining a Gospel Magic Show. Printed by author. N.d.
- 2005 Authentic Fakes: Religion and American Popular Culture. Berkeley : University of California Press.
- 1986 The Audience as Co-Author: An Introduction. Text 6(3):239–247.
- 2002 Modern Enchantments: The Cultural Power of Secular Magic. Cambridge , MA : Harvard University Press.
- 1994 Science and the Secrets of Nature: Books of Secrets in Medieval and Early Modern Culture. Princeton : Princeton University Press.
- 2008 Faith beyond Belief: Evangelical Protestant Conceptions of Faith and the Resonance of Anti-Humanism. Social Analysis 52(1):56–78.
- 2011 Moral Ambition: Mobilization and Social Outreach in Evangelical Megachurches. Berkeley : University of California Press.
- 2007 A Problem of Presence: Beyond Scripture in an African Church. Berkeley : University of California Press.
- 1992 The Technology of Enchantment and the Enchantment of Technology. In Anthropology, Art, and Aesthetics. Jeremy Coote and Anthony Shelton, eds. Pp. 40–63. Oxford : Clarendon .
- 1998 Art and Agency: An Anthropological Theory. Oxford : Clarendon.
- 1990 He-Said-She-Said: Talk as Social Organization among Black Children. Bloomington : Indiana University Press.
- 1959 The Presentation of Self in Everyday Life. New York : Anchor.
- 1989 Praying for Justice: Faith, Order, and Community in an American Town. Ithaca : Cornell University Press. .
- 2000 The Book of Jerry Falwell: Fundamentalist Language and Politics. Princeton : Princeton University Press.
- 2011 Faith in Objects: American Missionary Expositions in the Early Twentieth Century. New York : Palgrave Macmillan. .
- 2003 Evangelical Christian Women: War Stories in the Gender Battles. New York : New York University Press.
- 2009 The Word and Its Witness: The Spiritualization of American Realism. Chicago : University of Chicago Press. .
- 2010 Modern Magic and the War on Miracles in French Colonial Culture. Comparative Studies in Society and History 52(1):66–99. .
- 2011 Trade of the Tricks: Inside the Magician's Craft. Berkeley : University of California Press.
- 1979 Emotion and Feeling in Sinhalese Healing Rites. Social Analysis 1:153–176.
- 2003 Semiotics and the Social Analysis of Material Things. Language and Communication 23(3–4):409–425.
- 1986 Medicine, Miracle and Magic in New Testament Times. New York : Cambridge University Press.
- 2000 Magic in the Middle Ages. New York : Cambridge University Press.
- 2000 Greater Gospel Magic. Greensburg, IN : Winters.
- 1999 Magic in Theory: An Introduction to the Theoretical and Psychological Elements of Conjuring. Hatfield, UK : University of Hertfordshire Press. , and
- 2002 Between Public Assertion and Private Doubts: A Sepik Ritual of Healing and Reflexivity. Social Anthropology 10:11–21.
- 2004 Metakinesis: How God Becomes Intimate in Contemporary U.S. Christianity. American Anthropologist 106(3):518–528. .
- 2007 Performing Dark Arts: A Cultural History of Conjuring. Chicago : Intellect.
- 2006 Impossible Representations: Pentecostalism, Vision, and Video Technology in Ghana. In Religion, Media, and the Public Sphere. Birgit Meyer and Annelies Moors, eds. Pp. 290–312. Bloomington : Indiana University Press.
- 2010 Aesthetics of Persuasion: Global Christianity and Pentecostalism's Sensational Forms. South Atlantic Quarterly 109(4):741–763.
- 1994 Selling God: American Religion in the Marketplace of Culture. New York : Oxford University Press.
- 2000 Modernity's Media and the End of Mediumship? On the Aesthetic Economy of Transparency in Thailand. Public Culture 12(2):457–475. .
- 1988 The Social World of Magicians: Gender and Conjuring. Sex Roles 19(11–12):759–770.
- 1955 Philosophical Writings of Peirce. New York : Dover. .
- 2007 Signaling through the Flames”: Hell House Performance and Structures of Religious Feeling. American Quarterly 59(3):911–935.
- 2004a The Globalization of Pentecostal and Charismatic Christianity. Annual Review of Anthropology 33:117–143.
- 2004b Becoming Sinners: Christianity and Moral Torment in a Papua New Guinea Society. Berkeley : University of California Press.
- 2006 Modernity and Enchantment: A Historiographic Review. American Historical Review 111(3):692–716.
- 2000 Hearing Things: Religion, Illusion, and the American Enlightenment. Cambridge , MA : Harvard University Press.
- 2009 Comedians, Pastors, and the Miraculous Agency of Charisma in Ghana. Cultural Anthropology 24(3):523–552.
- 1991 Net of Magic: Wonders and Deceptions in India. Chicago : University of Chicago Press.
- 2003 Indexical Order and the Dialectics of Sociolinguistic Life. Language and Communication 23(3):193–229.
- 1986 Introducing Constructed Dialogue in Greek and American Conversational and Literary Narrative. In Florian Coulmas, ed. Direct and Indirect Speech. Pp. 311–332. New York : Mouton de Gruyter.
- 2003 Viscerality, Faith, and Skepticism: Another Theory of Magic. In Birgit Meyer and Peter Pels, eds. Magic and Modernity: Interfaces of Revelation and Concealment. Pp. 272–306. Stanford , CA : Stanford University Press.
- 1971 Religion and the Decline of Magic. New York : Charles Scribner's Sons.
- Gospel Magic in a Third World County: The Care and Feeding of Mission Minded Magicians. Printed by author. N.d.
- 1999 Now You See It: Using Illusion to Present the Gospel. Carlisle , UK : Alpha.
- 1910 Seeing Truth: A Book of Object Lessons with Magical and Mechanical Effects. Philadelphia : Griffith and Rowland Press.
- 1985 Risks in Verbal Art Performance. Journal of Folklore Research 22(2–3):133–153.
Editors’ Notes: Cultural Anthropology has published a number of articles on performance, including Chris Garces's “The Cross Politics of Ecuador's Penal State” (2010), Jesse Weaver Shipley's “Comedians, Pastors, and the Miraculous Agency of Charisma in Ghana” (2009), and Jeffrey G. Snodgrass's “Imitation Is Far More Than the Sincerest of Flattery: The Mimetic Power of Spirit Possession in Rajasthan, India” (2002).
Cultural Anthropology has also published articles on Evangelical Christianity. See, for example, William E. Connolly's “Some Theses on Secularism” (2011) and Omri Elisha's “Moral Ambitions of Grace: The Paradox of Compassion and Accountability in Evangelical Faith-Based Activism” (2008).