COUNTERFEITING THE NATION? Skopje 2014 and the Politics of Nation Branding in Macedonia
Article first published online: 1 FEB 2013
© 2013 by the American Anthropological Association
Volume 28, Issue 1, pages 161–179, February 2013
Total views since publication: 239
How to Cite
GRAAN, A. (2013), COUNTERFEITING THE NATION? Skopje 2014 and the Politics of Nation Branding in Macedonia. Cultural Anthropology, 28: 161–179. doi: 10.1111/j.1548-1360.2012.01179.x
- Issue published online: 1 FEB 2013
- Article first published online: 1 FEB 2013
- 2011 Commodity Registers. Journal of Linguistic Anthropology 21(1):22–55.
- 2007 Competitive Identity: The New Brand Management for Nations, Cities and Regions. New York: Palgrave Macmillan.
- 2007 New and Improved Nations: Branding National Identity. In Practicing Culture. Craig Calhoun and Richard Sennett, eds. Pp. 105–129. New York: Routledge.
- 2006 Brands: Meaning and Value in Media Culture. London: Routledge.
- 2003 Muslims as a “Religious Minority” in Europe. In Formations of the Secular: Christianity, Islam, Modernity. Pp. 159–180. Stanford: Stanford University Press.
- 2003 The Past in Question: Modern Macedonia and the Uncertainties of Nation. Princeton: Princeton University Press.
- 2010 Greek Gifts: Archaeophilia, Ochlocracy and Monochromatism in Contemporary Macedonia. Paper presented at the Anthropology of Europe Workshop, University of Chicago, Chicago, April 28. , and
- 2000 Millennial Capitalism: First Thoughts on a Second Coming. Public Culture 12(2):291–343. , and
- 2009 Ethnicity, Inc. Chicago: University of Chicago Press. , and
- 1996 Embodied Trademarks: Mimesis and Alterity on American Commercial Frontiers. Cultural Anthropology 11(2):202–224.
- 2005 Remaking the Nation of Latvia: Anthropological Perspectives on Nation Branding. Place Branding 1:173–186.
- 2002 American Kitchens, Luxury Bathrooms, and the Search for a “Normal” Life in Postsocialist Hungary. Ethnos 67(3):369–400.
- 1999 Expectations of Modernity: Myths and Meanings of Urban Life on the Zambian Copperbelt. Berkeley: University of California Press.
- 2002 Spatializing States: Toward an Ethnography of Neoliberal Governmentality. American Ethnologist 29(4):981–1002. , and
- 2007 The Work of the New Economy: Consumers, Brands and Value Creation. Cultural Anthropology 22(4):707–731. .
- 2010 On the Politics of Imidž: European Integration and the Trials of Recognition in Post-Conflict Macedonia. Slavic Review 69(4):835–858.
- 2010 Bezzakonie Koe Vodi vo Podelba na Državata [Lawlessness leads to state division]. In Kradat Grad! [They are stealing the city!]. Pp. 87–93. Skopje: Templum.
- 2012 The Roots of the Global Economic Crisis. Anthropology Today 28(2):1–3.
- 2010 Razubavizator [The beautifier]. In Nered i Groteska [Disorder and grotesques]. Pp. 25–28. Skopje: Templum.
- 2008 Designer Nation: Neo-Liberal Nation Branding—Brand Estonia. Social Identities 14(1):121–142.
- 2011 Narrating the Nation, Narrating the City. Cultural Analysis 10:3–21.
- 2011 Nation Branding: Toward an Agenda for Critical Research. International Journal of Communication 5:117–141.
- 2006 Skopje: Nostalgic Places and Utopian Spaces. Etnologica Balkanica 10:63–75.
- 2008 Font of a Nation: Creating a National Graphic Identity for Qatar. Public Culture 20(3):479–496.
- Regimes of Aesthetics: Competing Performances Surrounding the Skopje 2014 Plan. Unpublished MS, Anthropology Program, City University of New York Graduate Center. N.d.
- 2011 Skopje: The World's Bastard. Klagenfurt: Weiser Verlag. , and
- 2012 Going Home to Pakistan: Identity and Its Discontents in Southeastern Europe. Identities: Global Studies in Culture and Power 18(4):291–316.
- 2006 Neoliberalism as Exception. Durham, NC: Duke University Press.
- 2005 Consumer Citizenship, Nationalism, and Neoliberal Globalization in Turkey: The Advertising Launch of Cola Turka. Advertising and Society Review 6(3). http://muse.jhu.edu/journals/advertising_and_society_review/v006/6.3ozkan_foster.html, accessed on February 9, 2012. , and
- 2003 Globalization under Construction: Governmentality, Law, Identity. Minneapolis: University of Minnesota Press. , and , eds.
- 2000 Consuming Geist: Pop Ontology and the Spirit of Capital in Indigenous Australia. Public Culture 2(2):501–528.
- Prva Archi-brigada (PAB) 2010 Protiv Dsidot na Kič [Against the wall of kitsch]. In Kradat Grad! [They are stealing the city!] Pp. 49–54. Skopje: Templum.
- 2010 Duhovna Impotencija [Spiritual impotence]. In Nered i Groteska [Disorder and grotesques]. Pp. 29–34. Skopje: Templum.
- 2011 Nation-Building Ancient Macedonian Style: The Origins and the Effects of So-Called Antiquization in Macedonia. Nationalities Papers 39(1):13–32.
- Večer 2010Repezentativen Centar—Ogledalo na Državata [A representative city center: A mirror for the country], 14314. February 6. http://www.vecer.com.mk/?ItemID=85BF0DE7A3FB4E408458006C20B44C0E, accessed April 28, 2011.