THE DEVIL IS IN THE DETAIL: Museum Displays and the Creation of Knowledge
Version of Record online: 8 APR 2010
© 2010 by the American Anthropological Association
Volume 33, Issue 1, pages 22–32, Spring 2010
How to Cite
Moser, S. (2010), THE DEVIL IS IN THE DETAIL: Museum Displays and the Creation of Knowledge. Museum Anthropology, 33: 22–32. doi: 10.1111/j.1548-1379.2010.01072.x
- Issue online: 8 APR 2010
- Version of Record online: 8 APR 2010
- 1997 The Museum in America. Walnut Creek, CA: AltaMira Press.
- 2006 Museum Basics. 2nd edition. London: Routledge. , and
- 1997 Ideas and Images: Developing Interpretive History Exhibits. Walnut Creek, CA: AltaMira Press. , , and
- 1992 Cannibal Tours and Glass Boxes: The Anthropology of Museums. 2nd edition. Vancouver: University of British Columbia Press.
- Barringer, Tim, and TomFlynn, eds. 1997 Colonialism and the Object: Empire, Material Culture and the Museum. London: Routledge.
- 1991 Exhibitions in Museums. Leicester: Leicester Museum Studies.
- 1995 The Birth of the Museum. London: Routledge.
- 2005 The Engaging Museum. London: Routledge.
- Bouquet, Mary, ed. 2001 Academic Anthropology and the Museum. New York: Berghahn Books.
- 1998 Hands on Exhibitions: Managing Interactive Museums and Science Centres. London: Routledge.
- 1994 Reinventing Africa: Museums, Material Culture and Popular Imagination in Late Victorian and Edwardian England. New Haven: Yale University Press.
- 1997 Museum Exhibition: Theory and Practice. London: Routledge.
- 1999 Displays of Power: Memory and Amnesia in the American Museum. New York: New York University Press.
- 2006 Transforming Museums: Mounting Queen Victoria in a Democratic South Africa. New York: Palgrave Macmillan.
- 2000 Learning from Museums: Visitor Experiences and the Making of Meaning. Walnut Creek, CA: AltaMira Press. , and
- 2005 Yup'ik Elders at the Ethnologisches Museum Berlin: Fieldwork Turned on Its Head. Seattle: University of Washington Press.
- 1998 Learning in the Museum. London: Routledge.
- 1997 Exhibiting Dilemmas: Issues of Representation at the Smithsonian. Washington, DC: Smithsonian Institution Press. , and
- 1991 Museum and Gallery Education. Leicester: Leicester University Press.
- 1992 Museums and the Shaping of Knowledge. London: Routledge.
- 1994 Museums and Their Visitors. London: Routledge.
- 2001 Cultural Diversity: Developing Museum Audiences in Britain. Leicester: Leicester University Press.
- 1995 Museums and the Making of ‘Ourselves.’ Leicester: Leicester University Press.
- 1991 Exhibiting Cultures: The Poetics and Politics of Museum Display. Washington, DC: Smithsonian Institution Press. , and
- 2003 Liberating Culture: Cross-Cultural Perspectives on Museums, Curation, and Heritage Preservation. London: Routledge.
- 2006 The Critical Museum Visitor. In New Museum Theory and Practice: An Introduction. J.Marstine, ed. Pp. 203–225. Malden: Wiley-Blackwell.
- Lord, Barry, and GailLord, eds. 2002 The Manual of Museum Exhibitions. Walnut Creek, CA: AltaMira Press.
- Macdonald, Sharon, ed. 1998 The Politics of Display. London: Routledge.
- 1996 Theorizing Museums. Oxford: Blackwell. , and
- 2007 Curiosity and Enlightenment: Collecting and Collections from the Sixteenth to the Nineteenth century. New Haven: Yale University Press.
- MacLeod, Suzanne, ed. 2005 Reshaping Museum Space: Architecture, Design, Exhibitions. London: Routledge.
- 1999 Museums and the Representation of Native Canadians. New York: Garland Publishing.
- 2008 Theatres of Nature: Dioramas at the Field Museum. Chicago: Field Museum of Natural History.
- 1997 Museums and Popular Culture. London: Cassell.
- 1999 The Dilemma of Didactic Displays: Habitat Dioramas, Life-Groups and Reconstructions of the Past. In Making Early Histories in Museums. N.Merriman, ed. Pp. 65–116. London: Cassell/Leicester University Press.
- 2001 Archaeological Representation: The Visual Conventions for Constructing Knowledge about the Past. In Archaeological Theory Today. I.Hodder, ed. Pp. 262–283. Cambridge: Polity Press.
- 2003 Representing Human Origins: Constructing Knowledge in Museums and Dismantling the Display Canon. Public Archaeology 3(1):1–17.
- 2006 Wondrous Curiosities: Ancient Egypt at the British Museum. Chicago: Chicago University Press.
- 2008 Archaeological Representation: The Consumption and Creation of the Past. In Oxford Handbook of Archaeology. B.Cunliffe and C.Gosden, eds. Pp. 1048–1077. Oxford: Oxford University Press.
- Pearce, Susan M., ed. 1994 Interpreting Objects and Collections. Routledge: Leicester Readers in Museum Studies.
- 1998 Museums, Objects and Collections. Leicester: Leicester University Press.
- Peers, Laura, and Alison K.Brown, eds. 2003 Museums and Source Communities: A Routledge Reader. London: Routledge.
- 2006 Windows on Nature: The Great Habitat Dioramas of the American Museum of Natural History. New York: Harry N. Abrams.
- 1997 From Knowledge to Narrative: Educators and the Changing Museum. Washington, DC: Smithsonian Institute Press.
- Sandell, Richard, ed. 2002 Museums, Society, Inequality. London: Routledge.
- 2007 Rethinking Evolution in the Museum: Envisioning African Origins. London: Routledge.
- 1996 Exhibit Labels: An Interpretive Approach. Walnut Creek, CA: AltaMira Press.
- 2006 Judging Exhibitions: A Framework for Excellence. Walnut Creek, CA: Left Coast Press.
- 1988 Cathedrals of Science: The Development of Colonial Natural History Museums During the Late Nineteenth Century. Ontario: McGill-Queen's University Press.
- 1996 Making Representations: Museums in the Post-Colonial Era. London: Routledge.
- 2002 The Poetic Museum: Reviving Historic Collections. London: Prestel.
- 2007 An Introduction to Museum Archaeology. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
- Vergo, Peter, ed. 1990 The New Museology. London: Reaktion Books.
- 1992 The Representation of the Past: Museums and Heritage in the Post-Modern World. London: Routledge.
- 2003 Re-Imagining the Museum: Beyond the Mausoleum. London: Routledge.
- 2005 Nature's Museum: Victorian Science and the Architecture of Display. Princeton: Princeton Architectural Press.