Health Identities and Subjectivities:
The Ethnographic Challenge
Article first published online: 16 MAR 2009
© 2009 by the American Anthropological Association
Medical Anthropology Quarterly
Volume 23, Issue 1, pages 6–15, March 2009
How to Cite
Whyte, S. R. (2009), Health Identities and Subjectivities:. Medical Anthropology Quarterly, 23: 6–15. doi: 10.1111/j.1548-1387.2009.01034.x
- Issue published online: 16 MAR 2009
- Article first published online: 16 MAR 2009
- 1979 From Stigma to Identity Politics: Political Activism among the Physically Disabled and Former Mental Patients. Social Science and Medicine 13A:765–773.
- 2004 Global Pharmaceuticals, AIDS, and Citizenship in Brazil. Social Text 22(3):105–132.
- 2003 Crafting Diabetic Selves: An Ethnographic Account of a Chronic Illness in Beijing. Masters thesis in Chinese Studies. Copenhagen : University of Copenhagen.
- 1998 Social Justice in the Age of Identity Politics: Redistribution, Recognition and Participation. Tanner Lectures on Human Values 19:1–67.
- 1963 Stigma: Notes on the Management of Spoiled Identity. Englewood Cliffs , NJ : Prentice-Hall.
- Ingstad, Benedicte, and Susan ReynoldsWhyte, eds. 2007 Disability in Local and Global Worlds. Berkeley : University of California Press.
- Institute of Development Studies (IDS) 2003 The Rise of Rights: Rights-Based Approaches to International Development. IDS Policy Briefing 17. Sussex : IDS.
- 2002 The Politics of Storytelling: Violence, Transgression and Intersubjectivity. Copenhagen : Museum Tusculanum Press.
- 1996 Social Identity. London : Routledge.
- 2005 Antiretroviral Globalism, Biopolitics, and Therapeutic Citizenship. In Global Assemblages: Technology, Politics, and Ethics as Anthropological Problems. A.Ong and S. J.Collier, eds. Pp. 124–144. Malden , MA : Blackwell.
- 2002 Life Exposed: Biological Citizens after Chernobyl. Princeton : Princeton University Press.
- 1995 Commonality and Difference in the Movement: An “Association of Blind Asians” in Leeds. Disability and Society 10(2):157–169.
- 1996 Artificiality and Enlightenment: From Sociobiology to Biosociality. In Essays on the Anthropology of Reason. P.Rabinow, ed. Pp. 91–111. Princeton : Princeton University Press.
- 1999 Testing Women, Testing the Fetus: The Social Impact of Amniocentesis in America. New York : Routledge.
- 1998 Achieving Our Country: Leftist Thought in Twentieth-Century America. Cambridge , MA : Harvard University Press.
- 2005 Biological Citizenship. In Global Assemblages: Technology, Politics, and Ethics as Anthropological Problems. A.Ong and S. J.Collier, eds. Pp. 439–463. Malden , MA : Blackwell. , and
- 1998 People Are Not the Same: Leprosy and Identity in Twentieth-Century Mali. Portsmouth , NH : Heinemann.
- 1993 Anthropology and Multiculturalism: What Is Anthropology that Multiculturalists Should Be Mindful of it? Cultural Anthropology 8(4):411–429.
- 1995 Difference and Sameness: A Socio-Cultural Approach to Disability in Western Tanzania. MA thesis, Social Anthropology, University of Bergen.
- 2007 Wheels and New Legs: Mobilization in Uganda. In Disability in Local and Global Worlds. B.Ingstad and S. R.Whyte, eds. Pp. 287–310. Berkeley : University of California Press. , and