Time's Arrow: Violence and Ethnohistorical Surrealism in the Lost Colony
Version of Record online: 5 MAY 2009
© 2009 by the American Anthropological Association
Anthropology and Humanism
Volume 34, Issue 1, pages 11–20, June 2009
How to Cite
HARKIN, M. E. (2009), Time's Arrow: Violence and Ethnohistorical Surrealism in the Lost Colony. Anthropology and Humanism, 34: 11–20. doi: 10.1111/j.1548-1409.2009.01019.x
- Issue online: 5 MAY 2009
- Version of Record online: 5 MAY 2009
- 1992 Time's Arrow, or, the Nature of the Offense. New York: Harmony.
- Anonymous 1921 The Lost Colony [silent film]. 30 min. Outer Banks History Center, North Carolina State Archives, Manteo, NC.
- 1985 Visions of Excess: Selected Writings 1927–1939. Alan Stoekel, ed. Minneapolis: University of Minnesota Press.
- 1978 The White Man's Indian: Images of the American Indian from Columbus to the Present. New York: Knopf.
- 1992 Prey into Hunter: The Politics of Religious Experience. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
- 1999 Wonder and Science: Imagining Worlds in Early Modern Europe. Ithaca, NY: Cornell University Press.
- 1973 The Ideology of English Colonization: From Ireland to America. The William and Mary Quarterly (3rd Series) 30:575–598.
- 1976 The Elizabethan Conquest of Ireland: A Pattern Established, 1565–76. New York: Barnes and Noble.
- 1988 On Ethnographic Surrealism. In The Predicament of Culture: Twentieth-Century Ethnography, Literature, Art. James Clifford, ed. Pp. 117–151. Cambridge, MA: Harvard University Press.
- 1909 The White Doe: The Fate of Virginia Dare. An Indian Legend. Philadelphia: J. B. Lippincott.
- 2006 The Pocahontas Exception: Indigenous “Absorption” and Racial Integrity in the United States, 1880s–1920s. In Rethinking Colonial Histories: New and Alternative Approaches. Penelope Edmunds and Samuel Furphy, eds. Pp. 123–136. Melbourne: RMIT.
- 1962 Ethnohistory and Its Problems. Ethnohistory 9(1):1–23.
- 2000 War in the Tribal Zone: Expanding States and Indigenous Warfare. School of American Research Advanced Seminar Series. Santa Fe: SAR Press. , and
- 1980 Power/Knowledge: Selected Interviews and Other Writings, 1972–1977. Colin Gordon, ed. New York: Pantheon.
- 2003 Pocahontas at the Fair: Crafting Identities at the 1907 Jamestown Exposition. Ethnohistory 50:419–445.
- 1999 The Enigma of the Gift. Nora Scott, trans. Chicago: University of Chicago Press.
- 1989 Fear and Temptation: The Image of the Indigene in Canadian, Australian, and New Zealand Literatures. Montreal: McGill-Queens University Press.
- 1984 Gunboat Frontier: British Maritime Authority and Northwest Coast Indians, 1846–1890. Vancouver: UBC Press.
- 1972 A brief and true report of the new found land of Virginia. New York: Dover.
- 1997 The Heiltsuks: Dialogues of History and Culture on the Northwest Coast. Studies in the Anthropology of North American Indians. Lincoln: University of Nebraska Press.
- 2007 Performing Paradox: Narrativity and the Lost Colony of Roanoke. In Myth and Memory: Rethinking Stories of Indigenous-European Contact. John Lutz, ed. Pp. 103–117. Vancouver: UBC Press.
- 2008 The Floating Island: Anachronism and Paradox in The Lost Colony. In Small Worlds: Method, Meaning, and Narrative in Microhistory. James F. Brooks, Christopher R. DeCorse, and John Walton, eds. Pp. 121–144. Santa Fe: SAR Press.
- 1999 Images of Savages: Ancient Roots of Modern Prejudice in Western Culture. New York: Routledge.
- 2006 The Deadly Politics of Giving: Exchange and Violence at Ajacan, Roanoke, and Jamestown. Tuscaloosa: University of Alabama Press.
- 1976 Capital, vol. 1: A Critique of Political Economy. New York: Penguin Books.
- 1990 The Gift: The Form and Reason for Exchange in Archaic Societies. W. D. Halls, trans. New York: W. W. Norton.
- 1999 Dominion and Civility: English Imperialism and Native America, 1585–1685. Ithaca, NY: Cornell University Press.
- 1974 England and the Discovery of America: 1481–1620. New York: Knopf.
- 1991 The Roanoke Voyages, 1584–1590, vol. 1. New York: Dover.
- 1994 Georges Bataille. New York: Routledge.
- 1972 Stone Age Economics. Chicago: University of Chicago Press.
- 1981 Historical Metaphors and Mythical Realities: Structure in the Early History of the Sandwich Islands Kingdom. Ann Arbor: University of Michigan Press.
- 1976 Shifters, Linguistic Categories, and Cultural Description. In Meaning in Anthropology. Keith Basso and Henry A. Selby, eds. Pp. 11–55. Albuquerque: University of New Mexico Press.
- 1988 The Rhetoric of Ethnographic Holism. Cultural Anthropology 3(3):285–303.
- 2004 On the Poetics of Violence. In Violence. School of American Research Advanced Seminar Series. Neil L. Whitehead, ed. Pp. 55–78. Santa Fe: SAR Press.