Making Sense of Violence in the “Badlands” of Kenya
Version of Record online: 5 MAY 2009
© 2009 by the American Anthropological Association
Anthropology and Humanism
Volume 34, Issue 1, pages 21–30, June 2009
How to Cite
STRAIGHT, B. (2009), Making Sense of Violence in the “Badlands” of Kenya. Anthropology and Humanism, 34: 21–30. doi: 10.1111/j.1548-1409.2009.01020.x
- Issue online: 5 MAY 2009
- Version of Record online: 5 MAY 2009
- 2005 Kenya Hunts Killers in Violent North, 75 Dead. Reuters, July 14. Electronic document, http://www.benadir-watch.com/2005%20News/0714_Kenya_75_dead.pdf, accessed September 26, 2006. , and
- 2006 Cattle Rustling a Thriving Business. Daily Nation, May 8. Electronic document, http://www.nation.co.ke/magazines/-/1190/122284/-/Ironv4z/-/index.html, accessed September 26, 2006. , and
- 2006 Introduction. In States of Violence: Politics, Youth, and Memory in Contemporary Africa. Edna G. Bay and Donald L. Donham, eds. Pp. 1–15. Charlottesville: University of Virginia Press.
- BBC 2008 Main Ethnic Groups in Kenyan Provinces, Kenya Diplomatic Push for Peace. BBC News/Africa. Electronic document, http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/low/africa/7167363.stm, accessed January 2, 2008.
- 2005 Violence and Belonging: Analytical Reflections. In Violence and Belonging: The Quest for Identity in Post-Colonial Africa. Vigdis Broch-Due, ed. Pp. 1–40. New York: Routledge.
- 2002 Africa since 1940: The Past of the Present. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
- Daily Nation 2007 Community Wants Answers over Killings. Daily Nation, May 30. Electronic document, http://www.nation.co.ke/News/-/1056/188958/-/ryceui/-/index.html, accessed January 2, 2008.
- 2006 Staring at Suffering: Violence as a Subject. In States of Violence: Politics, Youth, and Memory in Contemporary Africa. Edna G. Bay and Donald L. Donham, eds. Pp. 16–33. Charlottesville: University of Virginia Press.
- 19701966 The Order of Things: An Archaeology of the Human Sciences. New York: Pantheon.
- 19771975 Discipline and Punish: The Birth of the Prison. New York: Pantheon.
- 1994 Introduction. In Sex and Violence: Issues in Representation and Experience. Penelope Harvey and Peter Gow, eds. Pp. 1–17. New York: Routledge. , and
- 2007 Laikipia Cattle Raids Continue Despite State's Security Pledges. Daily Nation, May 24. Electronic document, http://www.nation.co.ke/magazines/-/1190/187882/-/Invt7oz/-/index.html, accessed January 2, 2008. , and
- 1991 Pastoral Production and Transformations among the Samburu of Northern Kenya. M.A. thesis, African Studies, University of California, Los Angeles.
- 2003 Transforming Institutions among Pastoralists: Inequality and Land Privatization. American Anthropologist 105(3):531–542.
- 2006 Inciters Blamed for the Crisis in Laikipia. Daily Nation, October 8. Electronic document, http://www.nation.co.ke/magazines/-/1190/148472/-/lqcdmhz/-/index.html, accessed January 2, 2008.
- 2005 Claycourt—Ministerial Assessment. Daily Nation, July 22. Electronic document, http://www.nation.co.ke/magazines/weekend/-/1220/71932/-/hgjajm/-/index.html, accessed September 26, 2006.
- 2005 Treat North Kenya with Understanding. Daily Nation, July 22. Electronic document, http://www.nation.co.ke/oped/-/1192/71982/-/weu8ghz/-/index.html, accessed September 26, 2006.
- 2004 Shadows of War: Violence, Power, and International Profiteering in the Twenty-First Century. Berkeley: University of California Press.
- 2005 Enough of the Bloodletting, Please. Daily Nation, July 15. Electronic document, http://www.nation.co.ke/oped/-/1192/70908/-/weuwykz/-/index.html, accessed September 26, 2006.
- 2003 Conflict in Northern Kenya: A Focus on the Internally Displaced Conflict Victims in Northern Kenya. Martin Karimi, ed. Nairobi: ITDG-EA. , , and
- 1978 Orientalism. New York: Pantheon.
- 1979 The Question of Palestine. New York: Times.
- 1996 Small Wars and Invisible Genocides. Social Science and Medicine 43(5):889–900.
- 2000 Coming to Our Senses: Cultural Anthropology at the Millennium. Teaching Anthropology: SACC Notes 7(2):8–13.
- 2006 The State of Gujarat and the Men Without Souls. Critique of Anthropology 26(3):331–348.
- 1997 Altered Landscapes, Shifting Strategies: The Politics of Location in the Constitution of Gender, Belief, and Identity Among Samburu Pastoralists in Northern Kenya. Ph.D. dissertation, Department of Anthropology, University of Michigan.
- 2005 Cutting Time: Beads, Sex, and Songs in the Making of Samburu Memory. In The Qualities of Time: Temporal Dimensions of Social Form and Human Experience. ASA Monograph Series 41. Wendy James and David Mills, eds. Pp. 267–283. Oxford: Berg.
- 2007 Violence in the Shadows: Masculinity, Femininity, and Damning Agencies. Paper presented at “Place Versus Path: Reconfiguring Nomads to Fit the State,” Senior Faculty Workshop, Bergen, Norway, June 8–10.
- 2005 Massacre in Marsabit. Daily Nation, July 13. Electronic document, http://www.nation.co.ke/News/-/1056/70454/-/pd4wptz/-/index.html, accessed September 26, 2006. , and
- 2004 On the Poetics of Violence. In Violence. Neil L. Whitehead, ed. Pp. 55–77. School of American Research Advanced Seminar Series. Santa Fe: SAR Press.
- Wikipedia 2008 Turbi Massacre. Wikipedia, the Free Encyclopedia. Electronic document, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turbi_massacre, accessed June 10, 2008.
- 1982 Europe and the People without History. Berkeley: University of California Press.