Victims and Martyrs: Converging Histories of Violence in Amazonian Anthropology and U.S. Cinema
Article first published online: 5 MAY 2009
© 2009 by the American Anthropological Association
Anthropology and Humanism
Volume 34, Issue 1, pages 41–50, June 2009
How to Cite
HIGH, C. (2009), Victims and Martyrs: Converging Histories of Violence in Amazonian Anthropology and U.S. Cinema. Anthropology and Humanism, 34: 41–50. doi: 10.1111/j.1548-1409.2009.01022.x
- Issue published online: 5 MAY 2009
- Article first published online: 5 MAY 2009
- 1991 Global Ethnoscapes: Notes and Queries for a Transnational Anthropology. In Interventions: Anthropologies of the Present. R. G. Fox, ed. Pp. 191–210. Santa Fe: SAR Press.
- 1999 Los Huaorani en la Historia del Oriente. Quito: CICAME.
- 1957 Through the Gates of Splendor. New York: Harper.
- 1961 The Savage My Kinsman. New York: Harper.
- 2007 Feasting on People: Eating Animals and Humans in Amazonia. Current Anthropology 48(4):497–530.
- 1992 A Savage Encounter: Western Contact and the Yanomami War Complex. In War in the Tribal Zone: Expanding States and Indigenous Warfare. R. Brian Ferguson and Neil L. Whitehead, eds. Pp. 199–228. Santa Fe: SAR Press.
- 1995 Yanomami Warfare: A Political History. Santa Fe: SAR Press.
- “Go Ye and Preach the Gospel”: Five Do and Die.1956 Life, January 30: 10–19.
- 2006 End of the Spear. 111 mins. Every Tribe Entertainment. Studio City, CA.
- 2005 The Hit Man's Dilemma, or, Business, Personal and Impersonal. Chicago: Prickly Paradigm.
- 2006 From Enemies to Affines: Conflict and Community among the Huaorani of Amazonian Ecuador. Ph.D. dissertation, Department of Anthropology, London School of Economics, University of London.
- 2008 End of the Spear: Re-Imagining Amazonian History and Ethnography through Film. In How Do We Know? Evidence, Ethnography and the Making of Anthropological Knowledge. Liana Chua, Casey High, and Timm Lau, eds. Pp. 76–96. Newcastle: Cambridge Scholars.
- 1980 A Saint among Savages. London: Collins.
- 1990 Unfolding Destinies: The Untold Story of Peter Fleming and the Auca Mission. Grand Rapids, MI: Harper Collins.
- 1998 Transcultural Cinema. Princeton: Princeton University Press.
- 1985 Sweetness and Power: The Place of Sugar in Modern History. New York: Viking.
- 2004 Shadows of War: Violence, Power, and International Profiteering in the Twenty-First Century. Berkeley: University of California Press.
- Organization of the Huaorani Nationality of the Ecuadorian Amazon (ONHAE). 2006 People of the Path News. Electronic document, http://www.peopleofthepath.com/newpath-NEWS2.htm, accessed September 1, 2006.
- 2000 Marginality with a Difference, or How the Huaorani Preserve Their Sharing Relations and Naturalize Outside Powers. In Hunters and Gatherers in the Modern World: Conflict, Resistance, and Self-Determination. Peter P. Schweitzer, Megan Biesele, and Robert K. Hitchcock, eds. Pp. 244–262. New York: Berghahn.
- 2002 Trekking through History: The Huaorani of Amazonian Ecuador. New York: Columbia University Press.
- 1996 The Aucas, the Cannibals, and the Missionaries: From Warfare to Peacefulness among the Waorani. In A Natural History of Peace. Thomas A. Gregor, ed. Pp. 189–212. Nashville: Vanderbilt University Press. , and
- 1998 Waorani: The Contexts of Violence and War. Fort Worth: Harcourt Brace. , and
- 2005 End of the Spear: A True Story. Carol Stream, IL: Tyndale House.
- 1982 Fishers of Men or Founders of Empire? The Wycliffe Bible Translators in Latin America. London: Zed.
- 2005 Friction: An Ethnography of Global Connection. Princeton: Princeton University Press.
- 1992 From the Enemy's Point of View: Humanity and Divinity in an Amazonian Society. Chicago: University of Chicago Press.
- 1996 Images of Nature and Society in Amazonian Ethnology. Annual Review of Anthropology 25:179–200.
- 2001 GUT Feelings about Amazonia: Potential Affinity and the Construction of Sociality. In Beyond the Visible and The Material: The Amerindianization of Society in the Work of Peter Rivière. Laura M. Rival, and Neil L. Whitehead, eds. Pp. 19–44. Oxford: Oxford University Press.
- 1960 The Dayuma Story: Life Under Auca Spears. New York: Harper and Brothers.
- 1973 Aucas Downriver. New York: Harper and Row.
- 1992 Tribes Make States and States Make Tribes: Warfare and the Creation of Colonial Tribes and States in Northeast South America. In War in the Tribal Zone: Expanding States and Indigenous Warfare. R. Brian Ferguson, and Neil L. Whitehead, eds. Pp. 127–150. Santa Fe: SAR Press.
- 1993 Historical Discontinuity and Ethnic Transformation in Native Amazonia and Guayana. L'Homme 28:289–309.
- 1982 Europe and the People without History. Berkeley: University of California Press.
- 1998 The Third Subject: Perspectives on Visual Anthropology. Anthropology Today 14(4):16–22.
- 1981 Twenty Years of Contact: The Mechanisms of Change in Wao (Auca) Culture. In Cultural Transformations and Ethnicity in Modern Ecuador. Norman E. Whitten, ed. Pp. 677–704. Urbana: University of Illinois Press.