Gendered War and Rumors of Saddam Hussein in Uganda
Article first published online: 5 MAY 2009
© 2009 by the American Anthropological Association
Anthropology and Humanism
Volume 34, Issue 1, pages 61–70, June 2009
How to Cite
FINNSTRöM, S. (2009), Gendered War and Rumors of Saddam Hussein in Uganda. Anthropology and Humanism, 34: 61–70. doi: 10.1111/j.1548-1409.2009.01024.x
- Issue published online: 5 MAY 2009
- Article first published online: 5 MAY 2009
- 1991 Understanding Alice: Uganda's Holy Spirit Movement in Context. Africa 61(3):370–399.
- 1994 Ethnicity and Tribalism on the Sudan–Uganda Border. In Ethnicity and Conflict in the Horn of Africa. Katsuyoshi Fukui and John Markakis, eds. Pp. 112–139. London: James Currey.
- 1995 The Holy Spirit Movement and the Forces of Nature in the North of Uganda 1985–1987. In Religion and Politics in East Africa: The Period since Independence. Holger Bernt Hansen and Michael Twaddle, eds. Pp. 59–71. London: James Currey.
- 1999 Alice Lakwena and the Holy Spirits: War in Northern Uganda, 1985–97. Oxford: James Currey.
- 2007 Pillars of the Nation: Child Citizens and Ugandan National Development. Chicago: University of Chicago Press.
- 1998 The Rootedness of Trees: Place as Cultural and Natural Texture in Rural Southwest Congo. In Locality and Belonging. Nadia Lovell, ed. Pp. 25–52. London: Routledge.
- 2002 Collapsing Masculinities and Weak States: A Case Study of Northern Uganda. In Masculinities Matter! Men, Gender and Development. Frances Cleaver, ed. Pp. 57–83. London: Zed.
- 1966 Purity and Danger: An Analysis of the Concepts of Pollution and Taboo. London: Routledge.
- 2008 Living with Bad Surroundings: War, History, and Everyday Moments in Northern Uganda. Durham, NC: Duke University Press.
- 2004 Violence, Culture, and the Indonesian Public Sphere: Reworking the Geertzian Legacy. In Violence. School of American Research Advanced Seminar Series. Neil L. Whitehead, ed. Pp. 25–54. Santa Fe: SAR Press.
- 2003 The Cultural Contexts of Ebola in Northern Uganda. Emerging Infectious Diseases 9(10):1242–1248. , and
- Human Rights Watch 2005 Concerns Regarding Torture and Other Cruel, Inhuman or Degrading Treatment or Punishment in Uganda. Electronic document, http://www.hrw.org, accessed May 18, 2005.
- 1998 Minima Ethnographica: Intersubjectivity and the Anthropological Project. Chicago: University of Chicago Press.
- 2008 The Cursed Leaf: An Anthropology of the Political Economy of Cocaine Production in Southern Colombia. Ph.D. dissertation, Department of Cultural Anthropology and Ethnology, Uppsala University.
- 1988 Legends of People, Myths of State: Violence, Intolerance, and Political Culture in Sri Lanka and Australia. Washington: Smithsonian Institution Press.
- 2002 Rumour and Other Narratives of Political Violence in West Papua. Critique of Anthropology 22(1):53–79.
- Lord's Resistance Army/Movement (LRA/M) 2000 President Museveni Wipes Out Acholi with Ebola in Northern Uganda, news release, October. Electronic document, http://www.spacegrove.com/joesphkony/ebola.html, accessed November 8, 2000.
- 2002 Over 2,000 UPDF (Uganda People's Defense Force) Kids Left in Congo. New Vision (Kampala), October 1. Electronic document, http://allafrica.com/uganda/, accessed October 1, 2002.
- 2006 The Secret Genocide. Foreign Policy 155(July–August):44–46.
- 1995 Uganda. In Arms to Fight, Arms to Protect: Women Speak out about Conflict. Olivia Bennett, Jo Bexley, and Kitty Warnock, eds. Pp. 91–109. London: Panos.
- 1971 Religion of the Central Luo. Nairobi: East African Literature Bureau.
- 1974 Horn of My Love. Nairobi: East African Educational.
- 1999 War: Back to the Future. Annual Review of Anthropology 28:73–108.
- 1999a A Gendered Genocide: Tutsi Women and Hutu Extremists in the 1994 Rwanda Genocide. PoLAR 22(1):42–54.
- 1999b Sacrifice as Terror: The Rwandan Genocide of 1994. Oxford: Berg.
- World Health Organization 2001 Outbreak of Ebola Haemorrhagic Fever, Uganda, August 2000–January 2001. Weekly Epidemiological Record 76(6):41–46.