A new form of collaboration in cultural anthropology: Matsutake worlds
Article first published online: 16 APR 2009
© 2009 by the American Anthropological Association
Volume 36, Issue 2, pages 380–403, May 2009
How to Cite
CHOY, T. K., FAIER, L., HATHAWAY, M. J., INOUE, M., SATSUKA, S. and TSING, A. (2009), A new form of collaboration in cultural anthropology: Matsutake worlds. American Ethnologist, 36: 380–403. doi: 10.1111/j.1548-1425.2009.01141.x
- Issue published online: 16 APR 2009
- Article first published online: 16 APR 2009
- accepted December 15, 2008final version submitted November 16, 2008
- 2000 Landscape and Postcolonial Science. Contributions to Indian Sociology 34:163–187.
- 1991 Writing against Culture. In Recapturing Anthropology: Working in the Present. Richard G.Fox, ed. Pp. 137–162. Santa Fe : School of American Research Press.
- 2002 Mushrooms, Trees, and Money: Value Estimates of Commercial Mushrooms and Timber in the Pacific Northwest. Environmental Management 30(1):129–141. , , , , and
- 2002 Introduction: Postcolonial Technoscience. Social Studies of Science 32:643–658.
- 2007 Pramoedya's Chickens: Postcolonial Studies of Technoscience. In The Science and Technology Studies Handbook. Edward J.Hackett, OlgaAmsterdamska, MichaelLynch, and JudyWajcman, eds. Pp. 181–204. Cambridge , MA : MIT Press. , and
- 2008 The Houses That Matsutake Built. Economic Botany 63(4):278–290.
- 2007 Meeting the Universe Halfway: Quantum Physics and the Entanglement of Matter and Meaning. Durham , NC : Duke University Press.
- 1982 Science in Context: Readings in the Sociology of Science. Cambridge : Open University Press. , and , eds.
- 1994 The Location of Culture. New York : Routledge.
- 2001 Big Science, Small Impacts—in the South? The Influence of Global Environmental Assessments on Expert Communities in India. Global Environmental Change 11:297–309.
- 2002 The Intemperate Rainforest: Nature, Culture, and Power on Canada's West Coast. Minneapolis : University of Minnesota Press.
- 2007 Review of On Their Own Terms: Science in China and A Cultural History of Modern Science in China. British Journal for the History of Science 40:439–441.
- 2005 Articulated Knowledges: Environmental Forms after Universality's Demise. American Anthropologist 107(1):5–18.
- 1997 Routes: Travel and Translation in the Late Twentieth Century. Cambridge , MA : Harvard University Press.
- 2004 Looking Several Ways: Anthropology and Native Heritage in Alaska. Current Anthropology 45(1):5–30.
- 1986 Writing Culture: The Poetics and Politics of Ethnography. Berkeley : University of California Press. , and
- 2005 Do Glaciers Listen? Local Knowledge, Colonial Encounters, and Social Imagination. Vancouver : University of British Columbia Press.
- 1987 A Thousand Plateaus: Capitalism and Schizophrenia. Minneapolis : University of Minnesota Press. , and
- 2004 The River Runs Black: The Environmental Challenge to China's Future. Ithaca , NY : Cornell University Press.
- 2009 Intimate Encounters: Filipina Women and the Remaking of Rural Japan. Berkeley : University of California Press.
- 2007 Anthropology Put to Work. Oxford : Berg. , and , eds.
- 2001 Advocacy after Bhopal: Environmentalism, Disaster, New Global Orders. Chicago : University of Chicago Press.
- 1991 Introduction: Working in the Present. In Recapturing Anthropology: Working in the Present. Richard G.Fox, ed. Pp. 1–16. Santa Fe : School of American Research Press.
- 2000 Transnational Genomics: Transgressing the Boundary between the “Modern/West” and the “Pre-Modern/East.” In Doing Science + Culture. RoddyReid, and SharonTraweek, eds. Pp. 71–94. New York : Routledge.
- 1996 The End of Capitalism (As We Knew It): A Feminist Critique of Political Economy. Oxford : Blackwell.
- 2006 A Postcapitalist Politics. Minneapolis : University of Minnesota Press.
- 1992 Uncertain Terms: Negotiating Gender in American Culture. Boston : Beacon Press. , and
- 1997 Matsutake Mushroom: The White Goldrush of the 1990s: A Guide and Journal. Happy Camp , CA : Naturegraph.
- 1974 Matsutake nikki (Matsutake diary). Kyoto : Hamada Sensei Teinen Taikan Kinen Jigyōkai, Kyoto University.
- 1989 Primate Visions: Gender, Race, and Nature in the World of Modern Science. New York : Routledge.
- 1997 Modest_Witness@Second_Millennium.FemaleMan©_Meets _Oncomouse™. New York : Routledge.
- 1994 Is Science Multicultural? Challenges, Resources, Opportunities, Uncertainties. Configurations 2:301–330.
- 1995 Strong Objectivity: A Response to the New Objectivity Question. Synthese 104(3):331–349.
- 1993 The Racial Economy of Science: Toward a Democratic Future. Bloomington : Indiana University Press. , ed.
- 2006 Making Nature in Southwest China: Transnational Notions of Landscape and Ethnicity. Ph.D. dissertation, Department of Anthropology, University of Michigan .
- 2003 When Nature Goes Public: The Making and Unmaking of Bioprospecting in Mexico. Berkeley : University of California Press.
- 2002 Rupture-Talk in the Nuclear Age: Conjugating Colonial Power in Africa. Social Studies of Science 32(5–6):691–727.
- 2005 How Scientists Think; About “Natives,” for Example. A Problem of Taxonomy among Biologists of Alien Species in Hawaii. Journal of the Royal Anthropological Institute 11:107–128.
- 2007 Local Democracy under Siege: Activism, Public Interests, and Private Politics. New York : New York University Press. , , , , , , and .
- 1997 Ecology and Management of the Commercially Harvested American Matsutake Mushroom. Darby , PA : Diane. , , , and
- 1999 Reinventing Anthropology. Ann Arbor : University of Michigan Press. , ed.
- 2006 Rethinking the Animate, Re-Animating Thought. Ethnos 71(1):9–20.
- 2006 Vicarious Language: Gender and Linguistic Modernity in Japan. Berkeley : University of California Press.
- 1997 Matsutake: Kajuen kankaku de fuyasu sodateru (Matsutake: Nurture and propagate like an orchard). Tokyo : Nōsangyoson Bunka Kyōkai. , and
- 1987 Science in Action: How to Follow Scientists and Engineers through Society. Cambridge , MA : Harvard University Press.
- 2004 The Mobilization of Nature: Perspectives from North-West Yunnan. China Quarterly 178:488–504.
- 2006 Wild Profusion: Biodiversity Conservation in an Indonesian Archipelago. Princeton : Princeton University Press.
- 2006 Effects of Mushroom Harvest Technique on Subsequent American Matsutake Production. Forest Ecology and Management 236:65–75. , , , , , and
- Matsutake Worlds Research Group (Timothy Choy, Lieba Faier, Michael Hathaway, Miyako Inoue, Shiho Satsuka, and Anna Tsing) In press Strong Collaboration as a Method for Multi-Sited Ethnography: On Mycorrhizal Relations. In Multi-Sited Ethnography: Theory, Praxis, and Locality in Contemporary Social Research. MarkFalzon, ed. London : Ashgate.
- 1990 Capital, vol. 1. B. Fowkes, trans. London : Penguin.
- 2000 The Colonial Machine: French Science and Colonization in the Ancien Regime. Osiris 15:31–50. , and
- 1980 Nature, Culture, Gender. Cambridge : Cambridge University Press. and , eds.
- 1998 When Amateurs are the Experts: Amateur Mycologists and Wild Mushroom Politics in the Pacific Northwest, USA. Society and Natural Resources 11:615–626. , , and
- One Eye on the Forest, One Eye on the Market: Multi-Tiered Regulation of Matsutake Harvesting, Conservation and Trade in Northwestern Yunnan Province. In Wild Products Governance: Finding Policies That Work For Non-Timber Forest Products. Sarah A.Laird, RebeccaMcLain, and Rachel P.Wynberg, eds. People and Plants International Conservation Series. London : Earthscan. , and In press
- 1986 Sweetness and Power: The Place of Sugar in Modern History. New York : Penguin.
- 2002 The Body Multiple: Ontology in Medical Practice. Durham , NC : Duke University Press.
- 1954 Science and Civilisation in China, vol. 1: Introductory Orientations. Cambridge : Cambridge University Press.
- 1991 Matsutake no seibutsugaku (Biology of the matsutake mushroom). Tokyo : Tsukiji Shokan.
- 2007 Sumi to kinkon de yomigaeru matsu (Pines revive with charcoal and mycorrhiza). Tokyo : Tsukiji Shokan.
- 2005 Science and the French Empire. Isis 96:80–87.
- 1995 The Mangle of Practice: Time, Agency, and Science. Chicago : University of Chicago Press.
- 2006 A Machine to Make a Future: Biotech Chronicles. Princeton : Princeton University Press. , and
- 2008 Designs for an Anthropology of the Contemporary. Durham , NC : Duke University Press. , and , with and
- 1974 Woman, Culture, and Society. Stanford : Stanford University Press. , and , eds.
- 2003 Gift-Giving in Japan: Cash, Connections, Cosmologies. Stanford : Stanford University Press.
- 2008 Bidding Customs and Habitat Improvement for Matsutake (Tricholoma matsutake) in Japan. Economic Botany 62(3):257–268. , and
- 2004 Traveling Nature, Imagining the Globe: Japanese Tourism in the Canadian Rockies. Ph.D. dissertation, Department of Anthropology, University of California , Santa Cruz .
- 1994 A Social History of Truth. Chicago : University of Chicago Press.
- 2005 Mycelium Running: How Mushrooms Can Help Save the World. Berkeley , CA : Ten Speed Press.
- 2003 Cosmopolitiques. 2 vols. Paris : La Découverte.
- 1956 The People of Puerto Rico. Urbana : University of Illinois Press. , , , , , and
- 1988 The Gender of the Gift: Problems with Women and Problems with Society in Melanesia. Berkeley : University of California Press.
- 2004 Pine Wilt and the Pine Wood Nematode. In Encyclopedia of the Forest Sciences. J.Burley, J.Evans, and J.Youngquist, eds. Pp. 773–777. Amsterdam : Elsevier Academic Press.
- 2005 Gaiseikinkon kyoseikei no seiri seitai to matsutake no pazuru (Ectomycorrhizal ecophysiology and the puzzle of Tricholoma matsutake). Journal of the Japanese Forest Society (Nihon Shinrin Gakkaishi) 87(1):90–102.
- 2005 Mushrooms and the Future of CITES. Endangered Species Bulletin 30:24–25.
- 1988 Beamtimes and Lifetimes: The World of High Energy Physicists. Cambridge , MA : Harvard University Press.
- 2005 Friction: An Ethnography of Global Connection. Princeton : Princeton University Press.
- Beyond Economic and Ecological Standardization. The Australian Journal of Anthropology. In press a
- Unruly Edges: Mushrooms as Companion Species. In Thinking with Donna Haraway. SharonGhamari-Tabrizi, ed. Cambridge , MA : MIT Press. In press b
- 2008 Diverging Understandings of Forest Management in Matsutake Science. Economic Botany 62(3):244–253. , and
- 2002 Saprobic Potential of Tricholoma Matsutake: Growth over Pine Bark Treated with Surfactants. Mycorrhiza 12(1):1–5. , , , , and
- 2001 Science and an African Logic. Chicago : University of Chicago Press.
- 1994 Anthropology and Politics: Visions, Traditions, and Trends. Tucson : University of Arizona Press
- 1978 Bibliography of the Harvard Chiapas Project: The First Twenty Years, 1957–1977. Cambridge , MA : Peabody Museum of American Archaeology and Ethnology, Harvard University.
- 2004 Edible Ectomycorrhizal Mushrooms: Challenges and Achievements. Canadian Journal of Botany/Revue Canadienne de Botanique 82:1063–1073. , and
- 2002 Hybrid Geographies: Natures, Cultures, Spaces. London : SAGE.
- 2004 Matsutake Mycelium under Attack in Southwest China. How the Mushrooming Trade Mines Its Resource and How to Achieve Sustainability. Electronic document, http://www.danielwinkler.com/matsutake_conservation_in_sw_china.htm, accessed February 9, 2009.
- 1982 Europe and the People without History. Berkeley : University of California Press.
- 2003 Matsutake kenkyū no dōkō (Trends in Matsutake research). Sanrin 5:68–73. , and
- 2000 Forest Claims, Conflict and Commodification: The Political Ecology of Tibetan Mushroom-Harvesting Villages in Yunnan Province, China. China Quarterly 161:264–278.