Rethinking Postcolonial Democracy: An Examination of the Politics of Lower-Caste Empowerment in North India
Article first published online: 25 NOV 2011
© 2011 by the American Anthropological Association
Volume 113, Issue 4, pages 619–631, December 2011
How to Cite
Witsoe, J. (2011), Rethinking Postcolonial Democracy: An Examination of the Politics of Lower-Caste Empowerment in North India. American Anthropologist, 113: 619–631. doi: 10.1111/j.1548-1433.2011.01374.x
- Issue published online: 25 NOV 2011
- Article first published online: 25 NOV 2011
- 1988 Notes on the Difficulty of Studying the State. Journal of Historical Sociology 1(1):58–69.
- 2008 Democracy, Sacred and Everyday: An Ethnographic Case from India. In Democracy: Anthropological Approaches. Julia Paley, ed. Pp. 63–96. Santa Fe : School for Advanced Research Press.
- 2009 Tamil Oratory and the Dravidian Aesthetic: Democratic Practice in South India. New York : Columbia University Press.
- 2001 Caste, Society and Politics in India from the Eighteenth Century to the Modern Age. Cambridge : Cambridge University Press.
- 2000 Provincializing Europe: Postcolonial Thought and Historical Difference. Princeton : Princeton University Press.
- 2004 Why Ethnic Parties Succeed: Patronage and Ethnic Headcounts in India. Cambridge : Cambridge University Press.
- 2004 The Politics of the Governed: Reflections on Popular Politics in Most of the World. New York : Columbia University Press.
- 1987 The Census, Social Structure and Change in South Asia. In An Anthropologist among the Historians and Other Essays. Bernard S. Cohn, auth. New York : Oxford University Press.
- 2007 Democratic Designs: International Intervention and Electoral Practices in Post-War Bosnia-Herzegovina. Ann Arbor : University of Michigan Press.
- 2000 Reinventing India: Liberalization, Hindu Nationalism and Popular Democracy. Cambridge : Polity. , and
- 2005 Seeing the State: Governance and Governmentality in India. Cambridge : Cambridge University Press. , , , and
- 2005 Assessing the Quality of Democracy. Baltimore , MD : Johns Hopkins University Press. , and , eds.
- 2001 Castes of Mind: Colonialism and the Making of Modern India. Princeton : Princeton University Press.
- 2003 “Society Must Be Defended”: Lectures at the Collège de France, 1975–1976. New York : Macmillan.
- 2007 On Cultures of Democracy. Public Culture 19(1):1–22. , guest ed.
- 1975 The Prison Notebooks. New York : International Publishers.
- 1981 A Rule of Property for Bengal: An Essay on the Idea of Permanent Settlement. Durham , NC : Duke University Press.
- 1998 Postcolonial Developments: Agriculture in the Making of Modern India. London : Duke University Press.
- 2000 Interrogating Caste: Understanding Hierarchy and Difference in Indian Society. New York : Penguin.
- 1999 The Saffron Wave: Democracy and Hindu Nationalism in Modern India. Princeton : Princeton University Press.
- 2001 Wages of Violence: Naming and Identity in Postcolonial Bombay. Princeton : Princeton University Press.
- India Today 1995 Going with the Wind. India Today, February 28:100.
- 2003 India's Silent Revolution: The Rise of the Low Castes in North Indian Politics. Delhi : Permanent Black.
- 2002 A Singular Modernity: Essays on the Ontology of the Present. New York : Verso.
- 1995 Laloo's Magic. India Today, April 30:54. , and
- 1999 The Idea of India. New York : Farrar, Straus and Giroux.
- 1970 Caste in Indian Politics. New Delhi . Orient Longman. , ed.
- 2005 On Populist Reason. New York : Verso.
- 1985 Hegemony and Socialist Strategy: Towards a Radical Democratic Politics. New York : Verso. , and
- 1988 Democracy and Political Theory. Cambridge : Polity.
- 2001 On the Postcolony. Berkeley : University of California Press.
- 2008 The Vernacularisation of Democracy: Politics, Caste and Religion in India. New York : Routledge.
- 2000 The Democratic Paradox. New York : Verso.
- 2008 Democracy Otherwise: Struggles over Popular Rule in the Northern Peruvian Andes. In Democracy: Anthropological Approaches. Julia Paley, ed. Pp. 21–62. Santa Fe : School for Advanced Research Press.
- 2002 Toward an Anthropology of Democracy. Annual Review of Anthropology 31:469–496.
- 2008 Introduction. In Democracy: Anthropological Approaches. Julia Paley, ed. Pp. 3–20. Santa Fe : School for Advanced Research Press.
- 1980 State, Power, Socialism. London : Verso.
- 1990 Bonded Histories: Genealogies of Labor Servitude in Colonial India. Cambridge : Cambridge University Press.
- 2009 The Caste Question: Dalits and the Politics of Modern India. Berkeley : University of California Press.
- 1999 Powers of Freedom: Reframing Political Thought. Cambridge : Cambridge University Press.
- 1967 The Modernity of Tradition: Political Development in India. Chicago : University of Chicago Press. and
- 1985 Weapons of the Weak: Everyday Forms of Peasant Resistance. New Haven , CT : Yale University Press.
- 2007 Anthropology, Politics, and the State: Democracy and Violence in South Asia. Cambridge : Cambridge University Press.
- 2007 Toward Vernacular Democracy: Moral Society and Post-Postcolonial Transformation in Rural Orissa, India. American Ethnologist 34(3):558–574.
- 1974 The Rise and Future Demise of the World Capitalist System: Concepts for Comparative Analysis. Comparative Studies in Society and History 16(4):387–415.
- 2008 “Govern Yourselves!”: Democracy and Carnage in Northern Mozambique. In Democracy: Anthropological Approaches. Julia Paley, ed. Pp. 97–122. Santa Fe : School for Advanced Research Press.
- 2011 Corruption as Power: Caste and the Political Imagination of the Postcolonial State. American Ethnologist 38(1):73–85.
- A View from the States—Bihar. In The Routledge Handbook of Indian Politics. Atul Kohli and Prerna Singh, eds. New York : Routledge. In press
- 1995 Democracy against Capitalism: Renewing Historical Materialism. Cambridge : Cambridge University Press.
- 2000 Understanding the Second Democratic Upsurge: Trends of Bahujan Participation in Electoral Politics in the 1990s. In Transforming India: Social and Political Dynamics of Democracy. Francine R. Frankel, Zoya Hasan, Rajeev Bhargava, and Balveer Arora, eds. Pp. 120–145. New Delhi : Oxford University Press.
- 1989 The Limited Raj: Agrarian Relations in Colonial India, Saran District. Berkeley : University of California Press.
- 2003 The Future of Freedom: Illiberal Democracy at Home and Abroad. New York : W. W. Norton.
FOR FURTHER READING
(These selections were made by the American Anthropologist editorial interns as examples of research related in some way to this article. They do not necessarily reflect the views of the author.)
- 2009 Inscribing Subjects to Citizenship: Petitions, Literacy Activism, and the Performativity of Signature in Rural Tamil India. Cultural Anthropology 24(3):347–380.
- 2010 Democratic Technologies of Speech: From WWII America to Postcolonial Delhi. Journal of Linguistic Anthropology 20(2):257–282.
- 2005 Disparate Markets: Language, Nation, and Education in North India. American Ethnologist 32(3):460–478.
- 2005 Empty Citizenship: Protesting Politics in the Era of Globalization. Cultural Anthropology 20(4):506–533.
- 2004Accountable Democracy: Citizens’ Impact on Public Decision Making in Postdictatorship Chile. American Ethnologist 31(4):497–513.
- 2006 Crossbreeding Institutions, Breeding Struggle: Women's Empowerment, Neoliberal Governmentality, and State (Re)Formation in India. Cultural Anthropology 21(2):60–95.