Fluid City, Solid State: Urban Environmental Territory in a State of Emergency, Kathmandu
Version of Record online: 8 JUL 2008
© 2008 by the American Anthropological Association
City & Society
Volume 20, Issue 1, pages 105–129, June 2008
How to Cite
RADEMACHER, A. M. (2008), Fluid City, Solid State: Urban Environmental Territory in a State of Emergency, Kathmandu. City & Society, 20: 105–129. doi: 10.1111/j.1548-744X.2008.00008.x
- Issue online: 8 JUL 2008
- Version of Record online: 8 JUL 2008
- 1998 Urban and Environmental planning in Nepal: Analysis, Policies, and Proposals. Kathmandu: IUCN.
- 2005 Environmentality: Technologies of Government and the Making of Subjects. Durham: Duke University Press.
- 1996 Modernity at Large. Minneapolis: University of Minnesota Press.
- 2003 Maddening States. Annual Review of Anthropology 32: 393–410.
- 1995 In the Belly of the River: Tribal Conflicts over Development in the Narmada Valley. Delhi: Oxford University Press.
- 2003 Between Violence and Desire: Space, Power, and Identity in the Making of Metropolitan Delhi. International Social Science Journal 55(175):89–98.
- 2007 The Dream Machine: The Model Development Project and the Remaking of the State. In Waterscapes: The Cultural Politics of a Natural Resource. AmitaBaviskar, ed. Delhi: Permanent Black.
- 1997 Global, Fragmented, Hierarchical: Henri Lefebvre's Geographies of Globalization. Public Culture 10(1):135–167.
- 2003 Conservation from Above: An Anthropological Perspective on Transboundary Protected Areas and Ecoregional Planning. Journal of Sustainable Forestry 17:39–65. , and
- 2004 The Politics of the Governed : Reflections on Popular Politics in Most of the World. New York: Columbia University Press.
- 2004 Introduction: Cities of the South. Social Text 81, 22(4):1–7. and
- 1994 The Nature of Metaphors in Cultural Geography and Environmental History. Progress in Human Geography 18(3):163–185.
- 1997 Foreign Aid in Nepal: No Bang for the Buck. Studies in Nepali History and Society 2:173–86.
- 2002 SAARCasm. Nepali Times 76, p.20.
- Evans, Peter, ed.2002 Livable Cities? Urban Struggles for Livelihood and Sustainability. Berkeley: University of California Press.
- 1995 Down to Earth: the Territorial Bond in South China. Stanford: Stanford University Press. , and
- 1998 Living Martyrs: Individuals and Revolution in Nepal. Delhi: Oxford University Press. ,with and
- 1975 Nationalism and Regional Unity in Nepal. Berkeley: University of California Press.
- Gellner, David, JoannaPfaff- Czarnecka, and JohnWhelpton, eds.1997 Nationalism and Ethnicity in a Hindu Kingdom: The Politics of Culture in Contemporary Nepal. Amsterdam: Harwood Academic Publishers.
- 2003 Pathogens, Pugmarks, and Political Emergency: the 1970s South Asian Debate on Nature. In Nature in the Global South: Environmental Projects in South and Southeast Asia. PaulGreenough and AnnaTsing, eds. Pp. 201–230. Durham: Duke University Press.
- 1989 Green Imperialism: Colonial Expansion, Tropical Island Edens and the Origins of Environmentalism 1600–1860. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
- 1995 Blurred Boundaries: the Discourse of Corruption, the Culture of Politics, and the Imagined State. American Ethnologist 22(2):375–402.
- 2001 Housing and Squatter Settlements. In City Diagnostic Report for City Development Strategy. Kathmandu Metropolitan City (KMC)/The World Bank. Pp 135–190.
- 2007 Creating a “New Nepal”: The Ethnic Dimension. Policy Studies 34. Washington DC: The East-West Center.
- 1996 Transnational Connections: Culture, People, Places. London: Routledge.
- 2001 Governance and State Mythologies in Mumbai. In States of Imagination: Ethnographic Explorations of the Postcolonial State. Thomas BlomHansen and FinnStepputat, eds. Pp. 221–256. Durham: Duke University Press.
- 2001 States of Imagination: Ethnographic Explorations of the Postcolonial State. Durham: Duke University Press. and
- 1991 Simians, Cyborgs, and Women: the Reinvention of Nature. New York: Routledge.
- 1997 Modest Witness@Second Millenium. FemaleManMeetsOncoMouse:Feminism and Technoscience. New York: Routledge.
- Himal 1992 The Weakening Spirit of the Kathmandu Valley. Himal 5(1).
- His Majesty's Government of Nepal (HMG) and Asian Development Bank 1991 Environmental Policy Assessment: Kathmandu Urban Development Plans and Programs: Concept Plan for the Bishnumati Corridor. Kathmandu: Halcrow Fox and Associates.
- 1999 People, Politics, and Ideology: Democracy and Social Change in Nepal. Kathmandu: Mandala Book Point. , , and
- 1999 Spaces of Insurgent Citizenship. In Cities and Citizenship. Holston, James, ed. Pp. 155–173. Durham: Duke University Press.
- 1999 Cities and Citizenship. Durham: Duke University Press. , and , eds.
- 1995 Nepal: A Guide to the Art and Architecture of the Kathmandu Valley. Kiscadale.
- 2004 Himalayan People's War : Nepal's Maoist Rebellion. Bloomington: Indiana University Press.
- 1994 Everyday Forms of State Formation: Revolution and the Negotiation of Rule in Modern Mexico. Durham: Duke University Press. and
- 1998 Trends, Patterns, and Implications of Rural-to-Urban Migration in Nepal. Kathmandu. Central Department of Population Studies, Tribhuvan University.
- 1998 Who Speaks for Korean Shamans when Shamans Speak of the Nation? In Making Majorities: Constituting the Nation in Japan, Korea, China, Malaysia, Fiji, Turkey, and the United States. D.Gladney, eds. Pp. 55–72. Stanford: Stanford University Press.
- 2002 Tinkune and Maitighar. Nepali Times #73: 7.
- 1993 We Have Never Been Modern. Cambridge: Harvard University Press.
- Lawoti, Mahendra, ed.2007 Contentious Politics and Democratization in Nepal: The Maoist Insurgency, Identity Politics, and Social Mobilization since 1990. Delhi: Sage Publications.
- 1997 Selective Exclusion: Foreigners, Foreign Goods, and Foreignness in Modern Nepali History. Studies in Nepali History and Society 2(1):5–68.
- 2003 Suitably Modern: Making Middle Class Culture in a New Consumer Society. Princeton: Princeton University Press.
- 2003 Behind the Gates: Life, Security, and the Pursuit of Happiness in Fortress America. New York: Routledge.
- Lumanti Support Group for Shelter 2002 Report on Evictions at Thapathali. Kathmandu: Lumanti.
- 2001 Maitighar Corner to get Exotic Look with Mandala, Stupa, and Water Spouts. Kathmandu Post, December 27.
- 2002 Of States and Cities: The Partitioning of Urban Space. New York: Oxford University Press. and
- 2003 Shoveling Smoke: Advertising and Globalization in Contemporary India. Durham: Duke University Press.
- 1999 Statemaking and Space on the Margins of Empire: Rethinking the Anglo-Gorkha War of 1814–1816. Studies in Nepali History and Society 14(2):247–294.
- 1994 State Power and Social Forces: Domination and Transformation in the Third World. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press. , et al. (eds)
- 2003 The Rule of Water : Statecraft, Ecology and Collective Action in South India. New Delhi Oxford: Oxford University Press. and
- 2002 SAARC at Crossroads. Himal South Asian 15:1.
- No Author 2002 Kathmandu's Soul Lost in a Concrete Jungle. Spotlight 21:41,April 26–May 2.
- No Author 2000a Billions Spent but the Rivers Still Polluted. The Kathmandu Post, February 7.
- No Author 2000b Protect Valley Rivers. The Kathmandu Post, February 8.
- 2002 Consumption Intensified: The Politics of Middle Class Daily Life in Brazil. Durham: Duke University Press.
- 1998 Flexible Citizenship: The Cultural Logics of Transnationality. Durham: Duke University Press.
- 1997 Activities in a “Fossil State”: Balkrishna Sama and the Improvisation of Nepali Identity. Studies in Nepali History and Society 2:169–102.
- Peet, Richard and , eds.1996 Liberation Ecologies: Environment, Development, Social Movements. New York: Routledge.
- 1997 Vestiges and Visions: Cultural Change in the Process of Nation-Building in Nepal. In Nationalism and Ethnicity in a Hindu Kingdom: The Politics of Culture in Contemporary Nepal. Gellner e.Al. eds. Pp 419–470. Amsterdam: Harwood Academic Publishers.
- 2003 Kathmandu's Malignant Urban Tumour. Nepali Times #161. Sept. 6–11.
- 2005 Culturing Urban Ecology: Development, Statemaking, and River Restoration in Kathmandu. Ph.D. dissertation, Department of Anthropology and School of Forestry and Environmental Studies, Yale University.
- 2007 A “Chaos” Ecology: Democratization and Urban Environmental Decline in Kathmandu. In Contentious Politics and Democratization in Nepal. The Maoist Insurgency, Identity Politics, and Social Mobilization since 1990. Lawoti, Mahendra (eds. Pp. 299–321. Delhi: Sage.
- 1999 Pastoral Politics: Bureaucracies, Shepherds, and Conservation in the Western Himalaya. New Delhi: Oxford University Press.
- 1998 Seeing Like a State: How Certain Schemes to Improve the Human Condition Have Failed. New Haven: Yale University Press.
- 1990 Domination and the Arts of Resistance: Hidden Transcripts. New Haven: Yale University Press.
- 1987 Nepal: A State of Poverty. Delhi: Vikas.
- 2002 The Hindu State and the State of Hinduism. In State of Nepal. Dixit, Kanak Mani and ShastriRamachandaran, eds. Pp. 22–38. Lalitpur: Himal Books.
- 1989 Agents and Victims in South China: Accomplices in Rural Revolution. New Haven: Yale University Press.
- 1990 Recycling Tradition: Culture, History, and Political Economy in the Chrysanthemum Festivals of South China. Comparative Studies in Society and History 32(4):765–794.
- 1999 Modern Forests: Statemaking and Environmental Change in Colonial Eastern India. Oxford: Oxford University Press.
- 2003 Regional Modernities: The Cultural Politics of Development in India. Stanford: Stanford University Press. and , eds.
- Smith, Neil 1984 Uneven Development: Nature, Capital, and the Production of Space. Oxford: Blackwell.
- 1996 The City as a Hybrid: On Nature, Society, and Cyborg Urbanisation. Capitalism, Nature, Socialism 7(2):65–80.
- 2002 Unsettling Memories: Narratives of the Emergency in India. Berkeley: University of California Press.
- 1992 Planning: Never without Aid. Himal 5(2):8–10.
- 2001 Nepal's Urbanization and Urban Poverty Alleviation: A Critical Look at the 10th Plan. Draft paper presented to the MuAN Workshop, Kathmandu.
- 2000 The Global Situation. Cultural Anthropology 15(3):327–360.
- United Nations Habitat 2003 The Challenge of Slums: Global Report on Human Settlements 2003. New York: United Nations Habitat.
- United Nations Population Fund 1995 The State of World Population. New York: UNFPA.
- 1995 Territorialization and State Power in Thailand. Theory and Society 24:385–426. , and