Modernity, Tradition and Nuances of Class in Lesotho
Version of Record online: 11 JUN 2009
© 2009 by the American Anthropological Association
City & Society
Volume 21, Issue 1, pages 82–107, June 2009
How to Cite
TURKON, D. (2009), Modernity, Tradition and Nuances of Class in Lesotho. City & Society, 21: 82–107. doi: 10.1111/j.1548-744X.2009.01016.x
- Issue online: 11 JUN 2009
- Version of Record online: 11 JUN 2009
- 2003 Going for the Global: The Case of Ecstasy. Human Organization 62(1):1–11. and
- 1976 The Guide to Lesotho. Maseru, Lesotho: Winchester Press.
- American Anthropological Association 2007 Official Statement on “Race.” In Applying Cultural Anthropology: An Introductory Reader, 7th edition. AaronPodolefsky and Peter J.Brown, eds. Pp. 106–107. Boston: McGraw-Hill.
- 2003 Ethnographies of Conservation: Environmentalism and the Distribution of Privilege. New York: Berghahn Books. and , eds.
- 1952 The Basuto. Oxford: Oxford University Press.
- 1947 Democracy and Indirect Rule. Africa 17(4):235–251.
- 1938 Political Organization of the Southern Sotho. Bantu Studies 12:287–320.
- 1991 Postmodern Theory: Critical Interrogations. New York: Guilford Press. and
- 1996 Violent Politics and the Politics of Violence: The Dissolution of the Somali Nation-State. American Ethnologist 23(3):579–596.
- 2005 Toward a Critical Theory of Globalization: Democratic Practice and Multiperspectival Inquiry. In Globalizing Critical Theory. MaxPensky, ed. Pp. 48–71. Oxford: Rowman and Littlefield.
- 1984 Distinction: A Social Critique of the Judgment of Taste. Cambridge: Harvard University Press.
- 2004 Cosmopolitans and Locals: Cosmopolitan Ideology. Anthropology News 45(5):5.
- 1995 Critical Social Theory: Culture, History, and the Challenge of Difference. Oxford: Blackwell.
- 1985 Body of Power, Spirit of Resistance: The Culture and History of a South African People. Chicago: University of Chicago Press.
- 1996 Ethnicity, Nationalism, and the Politics of Difference in an Age of Revolution. In The Politics of Difference: Ethnic Premises in a World of Power. Edwin N.Wilmsen and PatrickMcAllister, eds. Pp. 162–184. Chicago: University of Chicago Press.
- 1992 Ethnography and the Historic Imagination. Chicago: University of Chicago Press. and
- 1998 Fieldsights: The Anthropological Narration of Post-apartheid South Africa. African Studies 57(2):133–145.
- 1991 Fictions that Save: Migrants' Performance and Basotho National Culture. Cultural Anthropology 6(2):164–192.
- 1997 A Chief by the People: Nation versus State in Lesotho. Africa 67(1):27–60. and
- 2002 On Being Modern in a Capitalist World: Some Conceptual and Comparative Issues. In Critically Modern: Alternatives, Alterities, Anthropologies. Bruce Knauft, ed. Pp. 241–257. Bloomington: Indiana University Press.
- 1986 Prophets With Honour: A Documentary History of Lekhotla la Bafo. Johannesburg: Raven Press.
- 2000 This matter of women is getting very bad:” Gender, Development and Politics in Colonial Lesotho. Pietermaritzburgh: University of Natal Press.
- 1992 Reply to Comments on The Anti-Politics Machine. In The Anti-Politics Machine: A Panel Review of James Ferguson's Book With a Rejoinder by the Author. Roma, Lesotho: Institute of Southern African Studies Working Paper No. 2.
- 1990 The Anti-Politics Machine: “Development,” Depoliticization and Bureaucratic Power in Lesotho. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
- 1985 The Bovine Mystique: Power and Livestock in Rural Lesotho. Man 20(4):647–674.
- 1990 Nationalist Ideologies and the Production of National Cultures. Washington, D.C.: American Anthropological Association Monograph Series, No. 2. , ed.
- 2004 Culture and the Public Sphere: Publicity. Anthropology News 45(3):6–7.
- 2003 AGOA, Lesotho's Clothing Miracle and the Politics of Sweatshops. Review of African Political Exonomy 96(30):315–320.
- 1982 Subaltern Studies I: Writings on South Asian History and Society. Delhi: Oxford University Press. , ed.
- 1995 Blurred Boundaries: The Discourse of Corruption, the Culture of Politics, and the Imagined State. American Ethnologist 22:375–402.
- 1987 The Theory of Communicative Action, Vol. 2: Lifeworld and System: A Critique of Functionalist Reason. Boston: Beacon Press.
- 1975 Chieftainship and Legitimacy: An Anthropological Study of Executive Law in Lesotho. Boston: Rutledge and Kegan Paul.
- 1990 Everyday Politics in the Philippines: Class and Status in a Central Luzon Village. Berkley: University of California Press.
- 2003 Turning a Crisis into an Opportunity: Strategies for Scaling Up the National Response to the HIV/AIDS Pandemic in Lesotho. Maseru, Lesotho: The Expanded Theme Group on HIV/AIDS c/o United Nations Development Program, United Nations House. , ., and
- 1985 Clinging to the Chiefs, Some Contradictions of Colonial Rule in Basutoland, c. 1890–1930. In Contradictions of Accumulation in Africa: Studies in Economy and State. HenryBernstein and BonnieCampbell, eds. Pp. 25–69. Beverly Hills: Sage Publishing.
- 2002 Critically Modern: Alternatives, Alterities, Anthropologies. Bloomington: Indiana University Press. , ed.
- 2005 Democratic Institutions and Cosmopolitan Solidarity. In Globalizing Critical Theory. Max Pensky, ed. Pp. 72–88. Oxford: Rowman and Littlefield.
- 1994 The God of Modernity: The Development of Nationalism in Western Europe. Washington, DC: Berg Publishers.
- 1995 The Choices of Identity. Social Identities, 1(1):5–21.
- 1992 Provisional Notes on the Postcolony. Africa Today 62(1):3–17.
- 1994 Philosophy and Critical Theory: A Reprise and Rejoinder to David Hoy. In CriticalTheory, David C.Hoy and ThomasMcCarthy, eds. Pp. 5–100. Oxford: Blackwell.
- 2001 Migrant Culture and Changing Face of Family Structure in Lesotho. Journal of Comparative Family Studies 32(3):443–452.
- 1981 Families Divided: The Impact of Migrant Labour in Lesotho. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
- 1980 From Granary to Labour Reserve: An Economic History of Lesotho. South African Labour Bulletin 6(4):3–20.
- 1999 Clash of Civilizations or Asian Liberalism? An Anthropology of the State and Citizenship. In Anthropological Theory Today. HenriettaMoore, ed. Pp. 48–72. Hoboken, NJ: Wiley.
- 1996 Varieties of Ethnic Politics and Ethnicity Discourse. In The Politics of Difference: Ethnic Premises in a World of Power. Edwin N.Wilmsen and PatrickMcAllister, eds. Pp. 25–44. Chicago: University of Chicago Press.
- 1993 Native Reservations in Africa? Cultural Survival Quarterly 17(2):42–44.
- 1998 Distributive Models of Culture: A Sapirian Alternative to Essentialism. American Anthropologist 100(1):55–69.
- 2002 Modernity's Masculine Fantasies. In Critically Modern: Alternatives, Alterities, Anthropologies. BruceKnauft, ed. Pp. 175–193. Bloomington: Indiana University Press.
- 1994 Multiple Sexual Partners, Migrant Labor, and the Makings for an Epidemic: Knowledge and Beliefs about AIDS among Women in Highland Lesotho. Human Organization 53(2):192–205.
- 1998 More Than For Your Labor; Migration and the Political Economy of AIDS in Lesotho. In The Political Economy of AIDS. MerrillSinger, ed. Pp. 185–204. Amityville, NY: Baywood. and
- 1996 Hegemony, Power, and Languages of Contention. In The Politics of Difference: Ethnic Premises in a World of Power. Edwin N.Wilmsen and PatrickMcAllister, eds. Pp. 71–84. Chicago, IL: University of Chicago Press.
- 2000 Coping or Struggling: A Journey into the Impact of HIV/AIDS in Southern Africa. Review of African Political Economy 28(86):537–545.
- 1985 Vulnerability to Impoverishment in South African Rural Areas: The Erosion of Kinship and Neighborhood as Social Resources. Africa 55(2):133–151. and
- 2004 Social Stratification and Health in the Western Context. In Encyclopedia of Medical Anthropology: Health and Illness in the World's Cultures Vol.1. Carol R.Ember and MelvinEmber, eds. Pp. 198–206. New York: Springer Books. and
- 1981 Changing Patterns of Migrant Labour and Rural Differentiation in Lesotho. Social Dynamics, 6(2):1–13.
- 1980 Rural Differentiation and the Diffusion of Migrant Labour Remittances in Lesotho. In Black Villagers in an Industrial Society: Anthropological Perspectives on Labour Migration in South Africa. PhilipMayer, ed. Pp. 109–168. Cape Town: Oxford University Press.
- 2000 Clientelism, Corruption and Catastrophe. Review of African Political Economy 85:427–441.
- 1998 Misunderstanding African Politics: Corruption & the Governance Agenda. Review of African Political Economy 76:221–240.
- 2008 Commoners, Kings and Subaltern: Political Factionalism and Structured Inequality in Lesotho. Political and Legal Anthropology Review 31(2):203–223.
- 2003 Modernity, Tradition, and the Demystification of Cattle in Lesotho. African Studies 62(2):147–169.
- 1999 Theory and Practice in Anthropology. Society for Applied Anthropology Newsletter 10(3):15–17.
- 1996 Social Differentiation in a Culturally Homogeneous Setting: Changes in Sociocultural Institutions and Conceptions of Self and Other in Mokhotlong, Lesotho. Ph.D. Dissertation, State University of New York at Buffalo, Department of Anthropology. UMI Microfilm No. 9617921.
- 1992 Comment by David Turkon. In The Anti-Politics Machine: A Panel Review of James Ferguson's Book With a Rejoinder by the Author. Roma, Lesotho: Institute of Southern African Studies Working Paper No. 2.
- 1969 Take Out Hunger: Two Cases of Rural Development in Basutoland. London: The Athone Press.
- 2002 Postcolonial Subjectivities in Africa. London: Zed Books. , ed.
- 1990 Nationalism, Traditionalism, and the Problem of Cultural Inauthenticity. In Nationalist Ideologies and the Production of National Cultures. Richard G.Fox, ed. Pp. 112–129. Washington, D.C.: American Anthropological Association Monograph Series, No. 2.
- 1996 Introduction: Premises of Power in Ethnic Politics. In The Politics of Difference: Ethnic Premises in a World of Power. Edwin N.Wilmsen and PatrickMcAllister, eds. Pp. 1–24. Chicago: University of Chicago Press.
- 2002 Co-opting Cooperation in Sri Lanka. Human Organization 61(1):9–20.