This article is a revised version of the presidential address presented at the annual meetings of the Rural Sociological Society, Boise, ID, on July 28, 2011. I acknowledge the computing assistance of Lisa Cimbaluk and Richard Turner as well as the helpful comments of David Brown, Charlie Hirschman, Ken Johnson, William Kandel, Mimmo Parisi, and Sharon Sassler on early drafts of this article.
Immigration and the New Racial Diversity in Rural America*
Version of Record online: 1 MAR 2012
Copyright © 2012, by the Rural Sociological Society
Volume 77, Issue 1, pages 3–35, March 2012
How to Cite
Lichter, D. T. (2012), Immigration and the New Racial Diversity in Rural America. Rural Sociology, 77: 3–35. doi: 10.1111/j.1549-0831.2012.00070.x
- Issue online: 1 MAR 2012
- Version of Record online: 1 MAR 2012
- 2009. Blurring the Color Line: The New Chance for a More Integrated America. Cambridge, MA: Harvard University Press. .
- 2003. Remaking the American Mainstream: Assimilation and Contemporary Immigration. Cambridge, MA: Harvard University Press. and .
- 2003. America's Newcomers and the Dynamics of Diversity. New York: Russell Sage Foundation. and .
- 2007. “Meatpacking and the Transformation of Rural Communities: A Comparison of Brooks, Alberta and Garden City, Kansas. Rural Sociology 72:560–82.
- 2006. “Meat Processing and Garden City, KS: Boom and Bust. Journal of Rural Studies 22:55–66. and .
- 2008. Rural Retirement Migration. Dordrecht, The Netherlands: Springer. and .
- 2011. Rural People and Communities in the 21st Century: Resilience and Transformation. Cambridge, England: Polity Press. and .
- 2005. “The Boom-Bust-Recovery Cycle: Dynamics of Change in Community Satisfaction and Social Integration in Delta, Utah. Rural Sociology 70:28–49. , , and .
- “Can Immigration Save Small-Town America? Hispanic Boomtowns and the Uneasy Path to Renewal. Annals of the American Academy of Political and Social Science. , , and . Forthcoming.
- 2011. “Place Orientation and Rural-Urban Interdependence. Applied Economic Perspectives and Policy 33:179–204. , , and .
- 2011. “Neighborhood Immigration and Native Out-Migration. American Sociological Review 76:25–47. , , and .
- 2009. “Social Disorganization in New Latino Destinations?” Rural Sociology 74:573–604. and .
- 2006. “Beyond Gateway Cities: Economic Restructuring and Poverty among Mexican Immigrant Families and Children. Family Relations 55:345–60. , , and .
- 2007. “Recent Immigrant Settlement in the Nonmetropolitan United States: Evidence from Internal Census Data. Rural Sociology 72:537–59. , , , and .
- 2009. “An Empirical Examination of Characteristics of Mexican Migrants to Metropolitan and Nonmetropolitan Areas of the United States. Rural Sociology 74:220–40. and .
- 2011. “An Empirical Note on the Social and Geographic Corerlates of Mexican Migration to the Southern United States. Journal of Rural Social Sciences 26:52–73. and .
- 2008. “Prejudice toward Immigrants in the Midwest.” Pp. 151–78 in Massey 2008a. .
- 2008. “Rural Residence as a Determinant of Attitudes toward U.S. Immigration Policy. International Migration 46:151–90. and .
- 2009. “Is America Fragmenting?” Annual Review of Sociology 35:435–55. and .
- 2011. Melting Pot Cities and Suburbs: Racial and Ethnic Change in Metro America in the 2000s. State of Metropolitan America. Washington, DC: Brookings Institution: Metropolitan Policy Program.
- 2009. City of Worthington Strategic Plan 2009. Retrieved July 13, 2011 (http://www.ci.worthington.mn.us/sites/default/files/news_release/2011/06/Strategic%20Plan%20Final%20Adopted%20Report%202009%20(2).pdf). and .
- 2003. “Sources of Mexico's Migration Stream: Rural, Urban, and Border Migrants to the United States. Social Forces 82:937–67. .
- 2004. “The Limits of Cumulative Causation: International Migration from Mexican Urban Areas. Demography 41:151–71. and .
- 2008. “Political Socialization and Reactions to Immigration-Related Diversity in Rural America. Rural Sociology 73:180–204. and .
- 1964. Assimilation in American Life. New York: Oxford University Press.
- 2005. “The Great Plains Migration: Mexicanos and Latinos in Nebraska.” Pp. 23–49 in Zúñiga and Hernández-León 2005. , , and .
- 2005. “Rural Industry and Latino Immigration and Settlement in North Carolina.” Pp. 50–75 in Zúñiga and Hernández-León 2005.
- 2000. “Making Carpet by the Mile: The Emergence of a Latino Immigrant Community in an Industrial Region of the U.S. Historic South. Social Science Quarterly 81:49–66. and .
- 2005. “Appalachia Meets Aztlan: Mexican Immigration and Intergroup Relations in Dalton, Georgia.” Pp. 244–73 in Zúñiga and Hernández-León 2005. and .
- 2008. “Places and Peoples: The New American Mosaic.” Pp. 1–21 in Massey 2008a. and .
- 2004. Who Are We? The Challenges of America's National Identity. New York: Simon & Schuster.
- 2011. Overview of Race and Hispanic Origin: 2010. 2010 Census Briefs. C2010BR-02. Washington, DC: U.S. Census Bureau. , , and .
- 2009. Where We Live: Immigration and Race in the United States. Berkeley, CA: University of California Press. .
- 2008. “Hispanic Segregation in Metro America: Exploring the Multiple Forms of Spatial Assimilation. American Sociological Review 73:741–65. and .
- 2006. New Immigrant Settlements in Rural America: Problems, Prospects, and Policies. Report on Rural America 1(3). Durham, NH: Carsey Institute. .
- 2009. Replenished Ethnicity: Mexican Americans, Immigration, and Identity. Berkeley, CA: University of California Press.
- 2011. “The Continuing Incidence of Natural Decrease in American Counties. Rural Sociology 76:74–100.
- 2000. “Continuity and Change in Rural Migration Patterns, 1950–1995. Rural Sociology 65:27–49. and .
- 2008. “Natural Increase: A New Source of Population Growth in Emerging Hispanic Destinations. Population and Development Review 34:327–46. and .
- 2010. “The Growing Diversity of America's Children and Youth: Spatial and Temporal Dimensions. Population and Development Review 31:151–76. and .
- 2008. A Profile of Hired Farmworkers, a 2008 Update. Economic Research Report No. 60. Washington, DC: Economic Research Service, U.S. Department of Agriculture. .
- 2004. New Patterns of Latino Settlement in Rural America. Rural Development Research Report No. 99. Washington, DC: Economic Research Service, United States Department of Agriculture. and .
- 2011. “Moving Up in Rural America: Economic Attainment of Nonmetro Latino Immigrants. Rural Sociology 76:101–28. , , , and .
- 2005. “Restructuring of the US Meat Processing Industry and New Hispanic Migrant Destinations. Population and Development Review 31:447–71. and .
- 2008. Inheriting the City: The Children of Immigrants Come of Age. Cambridge, MA: Harvard University Press and Russell Sage Foundation. , , , and .
- 2005. The New Latino South: The Context and Consequences of Rapid Population Growth. Washington, DC: Pew Hispanic Center. , , and .
- 2011. “Will They Stay? Foreign-Born Out-Migration from New U.S. Destinations. Population Research and Policy Review 30:537–67. , , and .
- 2011. Racial and Ethnic Diversity in American Communities: Convergence or Divergence? US2010 series. New York: Russell Sage Foundation. , , and .
- 2011. “Rural America in an Urban Society: Changing Spatial and Social Boundaries. Annual Review of Sociology 37:565–92. and .
- 2006. “Emerging Rural Settlement Patterns and the Geographic Redistribution of America's New Immigrants. Rural Sociology 70:109–31. and .
- 2009. “Immigrant Gateways and Hispanic Migration to New Destinations. International Migration Review 43:496–518. and .
- “Hispanic Assimilation and Fertility in New Destinations. International Migration Review 46. , , , and . Forthcoming.
- 2007a. “National Estimates of Racial Segregation in Rural and Small-Town America. Demography 44:563–81. , , , and .
- 2007b. “Municipal Underbounding: Annexation and Racial Exclusion in Small Southern Towns. Rural Sociology 72:47–68. , , , and .
- 2010. “Residential Segregation in New Hispanic Destinations: Cities, Suburbs, and Rural Communities Compared. Social Science Research 39:215–30. , , , and .
- 2008. “Mexican Migration Networks in the United States, 1980–2000. International Migration Review 3:704–28. and .
- 2009. “New Immigrant Destinations and the American Colour Line. Ethnic and Racial Studies 32:1037–57.
- 2011. New Destination Dreaming: Immigation, Race, and Legal Status in the Rural American South. Palo Alto, CA: Stanford University Press.
- 2008a. New Faces in New Places: The Changing Geography of American Immigration. New York: Russell Sage Foundation. , ed.
- 2008b. “Assimilation in a New Geography.” Pp. 343–53 in Massey 2008a.
- 2008. “The Geographic Diversification of American Immigration,” Pp. 25–50 in Massey 2008a. and .
- Mexican American Legal Defense and Education Fund. 2011. Talking Points on Housing Provisions of Anti-Immigrant Ordinances. Retrieved July 13, 2011 (http://maldef.org/immigration/public_policy/TPhousing.pdf).
- 2011. “Asians, Hispanics Tip Urban Growth.” Washington Post, April 6, p. A01. and .
- 2001. Latino Workers in the Contemporary South. Athens, GA: University of Georgia Press. , , and .
- 2007. Immigrants and Boomers: Forging a New Social Contract for the Future of America. New York: Russell Sage Foundation. .
- 2009. “Linking Baby Boomer and Hispanic Migration Streams into Rural America: A Multi-Scaled Approach. Population, Place and Space 15:277–93. , , and .
- 2010. “Beyond the Ballot: Immigrant Collective Action in Gateways and New Destinations. Social Problems 57:529–58. and .
- 2011. “Chicana/o Students Respond to Arizona's Anti-Ethnic Studies Bill, SB 1108: Civic Engagement, Ethnic Identity, and Well-Being. Aztlán: A Journal of Chicano Studies 36:9–36. and .
- 2010. “Hazleton and Beyond: Why Communities Try to Restrict Immigration.” Migration Information Source, November. Retrieved July 13, 2011 (http://www.migrationinformation.org/Feature/display.cfm?ID=805). .
- 2011a. “Multi-Scale Residential Segregation: Black Exceptionalism and America's Changing Color Line. Social Forces 89:829–52. , , and .
- 2011b. “America's Color Line in Small Towns and Rural Communities: Patterns of Residential Segregation, 1990–2010.” Presented at annual meetings of Rural Sociological Society, Boise, ID, July 28. , , and .
- 2011. “How High Is Hispanic/Mexican Fertility in the United States? Immigration and Tempo Considerations. Demography 48:1059–80. .
- 2008. “New Hispanic Migrant Destinations: A Tale of Two Industries.” Pp. 99–123 in Massey 2008a. and .
- 2010. “Hispanic Population Growth and Rural Income Inequality. Social Forces 88:1421–50. and .
- 2009. “Strong Ties, Weak Ties and Human Capital: Latino Immigrant Employment outside the Enclave. Rural Sociology 74:241–69. and .
- 2004. A “New Diversity”: Race and Ethnicity in the Appalachian Region. Washington, DC: Appalachian Regional Commission and Population Reference Bureau.
- 2011. “Latino Migration and Neoliberalism in the U.S. South: Notes toward a Rural Cosmopolitanism. Southeastern Geographer 51:242–59. .
- 1996. The New Second Generation. New York: Russell Sage Foundation. .
- 1989. “The Enclave and the Entrants: Patterns of Ethnic Enterprise in Miami before and after Mariel. American Sociological Review 54:929–49. and .
- 1997. “Demographic Structure and the Political Economy of Public Education. Journal of Policy Analysis and Management 16:48–66.
- 2009. “Latina/os, Locality, and Law in the Rural South. Harvard Latino Law Review 12:135–69.
- 2011. “Changing Patterns of Interracial Marriage in a Multiracial Society. Journal of Marriage and Family 73:1065–84. and .
- 2011. “Declining Return Migration from the United States to Mexico in the Late-2000s Recession: A Research Note. Demography 48:1049–58. , , and .
- 2012. “Rural Race and Ethnicity.” Pp. 207–24 in International Handbook of Rural Demography, edited by László J. Kulcsár and Katherine J. Curtis. Dordrecht, The Netherlands: Springer. .
- 2003. “Latinos in Rural America.” Pp. 57–70 in Challenges for Rural America in the Twenty-First Century, edited by David L. Brown and Linda E. Swanson. University Park, PA: Pennsylvania State University Press. and .
- 1997. “Neighborhoods and Violent Crime: A Multilevel Study of Collective Efficacy. Science, August 15, pp. 918–24. , , and .
- 2004. The Rise of New Immigrant Gateways. The Living Cities Census Series. Washington, DC: Brookings Institution. .
- 2001. “Growth, Decline, Stability, and Disruption: A Longitudinal Analysis of Social Well-Being in Four Western Rural Communities. Rural Sociology 66:425–50. , , and .
- 1989. American Indians: The First of the Land. New York: Russell Sage Foundation. .
- 1995. “Killing Them Softly: Work in Meatpacking Plants and What It Does to Workers.” Pp. 61–83 in Any Way You Cut It: Meat Processing and Small-Town America, edited by Donald D. Stull, Michael J. Broadway, and David Griffith. Lawrence, KS: University Press of Kansas. and .
- 1991. “Minorities in Rural Society. Rural Sociology 56:177–88.
- 2011. “Among Nation's Youngest, Analysis Finds Few Whites.” New York Times, February 8, p. A-14. .
- 2006. Multiple Origins, Uncertain Destinies. Washington, DC: National Academies Press. and , eds.
- U.S. Census Bureau. 1993. 1990 Census of Population: Social and Economic Characteristics, Minnesota. Washington, DC: U.S. Department of Commerce Economics and Statistics Administration.
- U.S. Census Bureau. 2008. 2008 National Population Projections. Retrieved July 11, 2011 (http://www.census.gov/population/www/projections/2008projections.html).
- U.S. Census Bureau. 2011. American Factfinder. Retrieved October 20, 2011 (http://factfinder2.census.gov/faces/tableservices/jsf/pages/productview.xhtml?pid=DEC_10_DP_DPDP1&prodtype=table).
- 1987. The Community in America. Washington, DC: University Press of America. .
- 2005. Assessing Immigrant Assimilation: New Empirical and Theoretical Challenges. Annual Review of Sociology 31:105–25. and .
- 2009. “Ethnic Neighborhoods in Multi-Ethnic America, 1990–2000: Resurgent Ethnicity in the Ethnoburbs?” Social Forces 88:425–60. , , and .
- 1997. The Southern Black Belt: A National Perspective. Lexington, KY: University of Kentucky Press. and .
- 1938. “Urbanism as a Way of Life. American Journal of Sociology 44:3–24. .
- 2009. “Rural Geography: Blurring Boundaries and Making Connections. Progress in Human Geography 33:849–58. .
- 2005. New Destinations: Mexican Immigration in the United States. New York: Russell Sage Foundation. and , eds.