Do Rural Students Really Perform Worse than Urban Students Do? Empirical Evidence from a University Entrance Program in Taiwan
Article first published online: 17 JAN 2013
Copyright © 2013, by the Rural Sociological Society
Volume 78, Issue 1, pages 109–131, March 2013
How to Cite
Liao, P.-A., Chang, H.-H., Wang, J.-H. and Horng, T.-H. (2013), Do Rural Students Really Perform Worse than Urban Students Do? Empirical Evidence from a University Entrance Program in Taiwan. Rural Sociology, 78: 109–131. doi: 10.1111/j.1549-0831.2012.00096.x
- Issue published online: 1 MAR 2013
- Article first published online: 17 JAN 2013
- 1990. “Rural-Urban Disparity in India and China.” World Development 18:1097–1110.
- 1994. “Economic Factors That Influence Educational Performance in Rural Schools.” American Journal of Agricultural Economics 76:557–568. and .
- 1999. “Causal Effect of Education on Earnings.” Pp. 1801–1863 in Handbook of Labor Economics, edited by O. Ashenfelter and D. Card . Amsterdam, the Netherlands: North-Holland Press. .
- 2010. Taiwan Social Change Survey Report. Institute of Sociology, Academia Sinica, Taipei, Taiwan. and .
- College Stars Program Center, National Chung Cheng University. 2010. Stars Program Bulletin 2010. Retrieved December 5, 2011 (http//www.star.ccu.edu.tw/star99/index.php).
- 1995. “Access to Health Care: Urban-Rural Comparisons from a Midwestern Agricultural State.” Journal of Rural Health 11:128–136. and .
- Department of Statistics, Ministry of Education. 2010. Enrollment Rate of Taiwan's Joint College Entrance Examination. Retrieved December 5, 2011 (http//www.edu.tw/files/site_content/B0013/overview09.xls).
- 1985. “Economic Development and Educational Status in Appalachian Kentucky.” Comparative Education Review 29:47–67. .
- 1995. “On Hoosiers, Yankees and Mountaineers.” Phi Delta Kappan 77:104–112. and .
- 1996. “Selected Comparisons and Implications of a National Rural and Urban Survey on Health Care Access, Demographics, and Policy Issues.” Journal of Rural Health 12:197–205. and .
- 1994. “A Longitudinal Study of Engineering Student Performance and Retention: Differences between Students from Rural and Urban Backgrounds.” Journal of Engineering Education 83:209–217. , , , and .
- 1995. “Nonmetro Student Achievement on Par with Metro.” Rural Development Perspectives 10:17–23. and .
- 1978. “Schooling and Socioeconomic Attainments: High School and College Influences.” American Journal of Sociology 84:319–347. and .
- 1994. “Urban and Rural Differences in Health Insurance and Access to Care.” Journal of Rural Health 10:98–108. , , and .
- 2006. “The Role of Higher Education in Social Mobility.” Future of Children 16:125–150. and .
- 1979. “Sample Selection Bias as a Specification Error.” Econometrica 47:153–161. .
- 2006. “Earnings Functions, Rates of Return and Treatment Effects: The Mincer Equation and Beyond.” Pp. 307–458 in Handbook of the Economics of Education, edited by E. Hanushek and F. Welch . Amsterdam, the Netherlands: North Holland Press. , , and .
- 1996. “Compounding Disadvantage: The Effects of School and District Size on Student Achievement in West Virginia.” Journal of Research in Rural Education 12:25–32. .
- 2009. “CEM: Software for Coarsened Exact Matching.” Journal of Statistical Software 30:1–27. , , and .
- 1987. “Income Inequality and Regional Disparity in Thailand, 1962–81.” Developing Economies 25:249–269. and .
- 2001. “The Influence of Family and Community Social Capital on Educational Achievement.” Rural Sociology 66:43–68. , , and .
- 2002. “Changes in Access to Higher Education in the United States, 1980–1992.” Sociology of Education 75:191–210. .
- 2002. “Rural-Urban Income Disparity, Impact of Growth, Allocative Efficiency, and Local Growth Welfare.” China Economic Review 13:419–429. .
- 2002. “Who Are NTU Students? Differences across Ethnic and Gender Groups and Urban/Rural Discrepancy.” Taiwan Economic Review 30:113–147. .
- 2008. “Characteristics of Medical Students with Rural Origin: Implications for Selective Admission Policies.” Health Policy 87:194–202. , , and .
- 1993. “Urban/Rural Differences in Health Service Utilization by Elderly Persons in the United States.” Journal of Rural Health 9:270–280. and .
- National Taiwan University. 2011. About NTU. Retrieved December 5, 2011 (http//www.ntu.edu.tw/english/about/about.html).
- 1996. “Differences among Urban, Suburban, and Rural Schools on Technology Access and Use in Eighth-Grade Mathematics Classrooms.” Journal of Educational Technology Systems 24:83–92. and .
- 2006. “Academic Performance and Scientific Involvement of Final Year Medical Students Coming from Urban and Rural Backgrounds.” Rural Remote Health 21:346–350. and .
- Quacquarelli Symonds Ltd. 2011. QS World University Rankings. Retrieved December 5, 2011 (http//www.topuniversities.com/institution/national-taiwan-university-ntu/wur).
- 1995. “Patterns and Predictors of Noninstitutional Health Care Utilization by Older Adults in Rural and Urban America.” Journal of Rural Health 11:259–273. .
- 2005. “Are Rural Schools Inferior to Urban Schools? A Multilevel Analysis of School Accountability Trends in Kentucky.” Rural Sociology 70:360–386. and .
- 1996. “Income Non-Convergence and Rural-Urban Earnings Differentials: Evidence from North Carolina.” Southern Economic Journal 62:1017–1028. .
- 2001. “Rurality, Institutional Disadvantage, and Achievement/Attainment.” Rural Sociology 66:268–292. and .
- 2001. “Peer Effects with Random Assignment: Results for Dartmouth Roommates.” Quarterly Journal of Economics 116:681–704. .
- 2007. “The Urban-Rural Income Gap and Inequality in China.” Review of Income and Wealth 53:93–126. , , , and .
- 1996. “The Shadow Value of Migrant Remittances: Income Inequality in a Household-Farm Economy.” Journal of Development Studies 32:899–912. and .
- 1998. “Scholastic Aptitude Test Scores, Race, and Academic Performance in Selective Colleges and Universities.” Pp. 457–479 in The Black-White Test Score Gap, edited by C. Jencks and M. Phillips . Washington, DC: Brookings Institution Press. and .
- 1997. “Factors Affecting Student Career Choice in Science: An Australian Study of Rural and Urban Schools.” Research in Science Education 27:195–214. , , and .