Member, The American Ceramic Society.
Synthesis of Plate-Like ZrB2 Grains
Article first published online: 1 DEC 2011
© 2011 The American Ceramic Society
Journal of the American Ceramic Society
Volume 95, Issue 1, pages 85–88, January 2012
How to Cite
Hu, C., Zou, J., Huang, Q., Zhang, G., Guo, S., Sakka, Y. (2012), Synthesis of Plate-Like ZrB2 Grains. Journal of the American Ceramic Society, 95: 85–88. doi: 10.1111/j.1551-2916.2011.04990.x
- Issue published online: 3 JAN 2012
- Article first published online: 1 DEC 2011
- Manuscript Accepted: 6 NOV 2011
- Manuscript Received: 13 SEP 2011
- World Premier International Research Center (WPI)
- Ningbo Institute of Material Technology and Engineering in China
Plate-like ZrB2 grains were synthesized at 1550°C by in situ solid/liquid reaction using Zr and B powders mixed with transition metal (Mo,Nb,Ti, or W) and Si powder. The preferred growth direction of plate grains was along a- or b-axis depending on the initial content of transition metal and silicon in the mixtures. The synthesis mechanism of plate-like grain was possibly related to the catalysis of in situ formed silicides.