9 Shaken, Not Stirred: The Revolution in Archaeology
Version of Record online: 8 OCT 2008
© 2008 by the American Anthropological Association
Archeological Papers of the American Anthropological Association
Special Issue: Gender, Households, and Society: Unraveling the Threads of the Past and the Present
18, 2008 pages 115–124
How to Cite
Pyburn, K. A. (2008), 9 Shaken, Not Stirred: The Revolution in Archaeology. Archeological Papers of the American Anthropological Association, 18: 115–124. doi: 10.1111/j.1551-8248.2008.00009.x
- Issue online: 8 OCT 2008
- Version of Record online: 8 OCT 2008
- 2004 Leaders, Healers, Laborers, and Lovers: Re-Interpreting Women's Roles in Moche Society. In Ungendering Civilization. K. A.Pyburn, ed. Pp. 242–277. London : Routledge.
- 1994 Women's Work: The First 20,000 Years—Women, Cloth, and Society in Early Times. New York : Norton .
- 1995 Keepers of the Culture: The Power of Tradition in Women's Lives. New York : Lexington Books.
- 2006 Methods in Feminist and Gender Archaeology: A Feeling for Difference—and Likeness. In Handbook of Gender in Archaeology. S. M.Nelson, ed. Pp. 31–58. Walnut Creek , CA : AltaMira.
- 2006 Speaking of the Dead. Paper presented at the 105th Annual Meeting of the American Anthropological Association, San Jose , CA . , and
- 2005 Dwelling at the Margins, Action at the Intersection? Feminist and Indigenous Archaeologies. Archaeologies: Journal of the World Archaeological Congress 1(1):9–59.
- 1997 Courtesans and Fishcakes: The Consuming Passions of Classical Athens. London : HarperCollins.
- 2003 Warrior Women: An Archaeologist's Search for History's Hidden Heroines. New York : Grand Central.
- 2005 Collapse: How Societies Choose to Fail or Succeed. New York : Penguin.
- 1983 Gender Bias in Archaeology: A Cross-Cultural Perspective. In The Sociopolitics of Archaeology. D.Lacy, J. M.Gero and M. L.Blakey, eds. Pp. 351–357. Department of Anthropology, Research Report, 23. Amherst : University of Massachusetts.
- 2000 Rethinking Ancient Maya Social Organization: Replacing “Lineage” with “House. American Anthropologist 102(3):467–484.
- 2002 Perspectives on Economy and Theory. In Ancient Maya Political Economies. M. A.Masson and D. A.Freidel, eds. Pp. 398–418. Boston : Rowman and Littlefield.
- 1963 Structural Anthropology. Claire Jacobson, trans. New York : Basic Books.
- 2004 All the Harappan Men Are Naked, but the Women Are Wearing Jewelry. In Ungendering Civilization. K. A.Pyburn, ed. Pp. 326–357. London : Routledge.
- 2004 Gendered States: Gender and Agency in Economic Models of Great Zimbabwe. In Ungendering Civilization. K. A.Pyburn, ed. Pp. 47–70. London : Routledge.
- 2004 The “Marauding Pagan Warrior” Woman. In Ungendering Civilization. K. A.Pyburn, ed. Pp. 167–208. London : Routledge.
- 1993 Smallholders, Householders: Farm Families and the Ecology of Intensive, Sustainable Agriculture. Stanford , CA : Stanford University Press.
- 1971 Primitive, Archaic, and Modern Economics: Essays of Karl Polanyi. Boston : Beacon .
- 1998a Consuming the Maya. Journal of Dialectical Anthropology 23:111–129.
- 1998b Smallholders in the Maya Lowlands: Homage to a Garden Variety Ethnographer. Human Ecology 26(2):267–286.
- 1999 Native American Religion vs. Archaeological Science: A Pernicious Dichotomy Revisited. Journal of Science and Engineering Ethics 5(3):355–366.
- Pomp and Circumstance: Cities in a Maya Landscape. In The Ancient City: Perspectives from the Old and New World. J.Marcus and J.Sabloff, eds. Washington , DC , and Santa Fe: National Academy of Sciences and School of American Research. In press
- Pyburn, K. Anne, ed. 2004 Ungendering Civilization. London : Routledge.
- 2006 Gender, Farming, and Long-Term Change: Maya Historical and Archaeological Perspectives. Current Anthropology 47(3):409–433.
- 1978 A Distant Mirror: The Calamitous 14th Century. New York : Balantine.
- 1956 Revitalization Movements. American Anthropologist 58(2):264–281.
- 1983 Little House in the Jungle: The Causes of Variation in House Size among Modern Kekchi Maya. Journal of Anthropological Archaeology 2:99–116.
- 1997 Household Ecology: Economic Change and Domestic Life among the Kekchí Maya of Belize. Tucson : University of Arizona Press.
- 2002 Post-Negativism: A Manifesto for the Militant Middle Ground. Unpublished MS in possession of the author.