- Top of page
- History of Social Justice in Nursing
- Lesbian and Bisexual Women's Access to Health Care
- Health Risks and Care Considerations in Lesbian and Bisexual Women
- Current Initiatives to Improve Health Care Access for Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender (LGBT) Individuals
- Nurses as Agents for Social Justice
Lesbian and bisexual women share much with heterosexual women such as the desire to parent and the risk for partner violence. However, these women have unique risks associated with heavy alcohol use, smoking, obesity, and nulliparity. As nurses become increasingly aware of the need for social justice advocacy for marginalized groups, they are in a good position to advocate for lesbian and bisexual women and to bring visibility to their poor treatment in the health care setting.