Cultural Humility and the Importance of Long-Term Relationships in International Partnerships
Version of Record online: 21 JAN 2009
© 2009 AWHONN, the Association of Women's Health, Obstetric and Neonatal Nurses
Journal of Obstetric, Gynecologic, & Neonatal Nursing
Volume 38, Issue 1, pages 100–107, January/February 2009
How to Cite
Foster, J. (2009), Cultural Humility and the Importance of Long-Term Relationships in International Partnerships. Journal of Obstetric, Gynecologic, & Neonatal Nursing, 38: 100–107. doi: 10.1111/j.1552-6909.2008.00313.x
- Issue online: 21 JAN 2009
- Version of Record online: 21 JAN 2009
- Accepted May 2008
- 2003). Improving birth outcomes. Washington, DC: National Academies Press. , , & (
- 2005). Goals in maternal and perinatal care in Latin America and the Caribbean. Birth, 32 (3), 210-218. , , , , & (
- 2005). Social justice as a framework for professional nursing. Journal of Nursing Education, 44, 404-408. (
- 2006). Opening our hearts and minds: The meanings of international clinical nursing electives in the personal and professional lives of nurses. Nursing and Health Sciences, 8, 95-102. , & (
- 2003). Pathologies of power. Berkeley: University of California Press. (
- 2007). Midwifery and the development of nursing capacity in the Dominican Republic: Caring, clinical competence and case management. Journal of Midwifery and Women's Health, 52 (5), 499-504. , & (
- 2005). Midwifery curriculum for auxiliary maternity nurses: A case study in the Dominican Republic. Journal of Midwifery and Women's Health, 50, e45-e49. , , , & (
- 2003). The International Confederation of Midwives' study of the essential competencies of midwifery practice. Midwifery, 19, 179-190. , , , & (
- Fundación para el Desarrollo de la Enfermería. (n.d.). Situación de la enfermería. Madrid: Author.
- 2002). Assessment of guidelines for good practice in psychosocial care of mothers after stillbirth. Lancet, 360, 114-118. , , , & (
- 2005). Beyond cultural competence: Applying humility to cultural settings. In G.Henderson, S.Estroff, L.Churchill, N.King, J.Oberlander, & R.Strauss (Eds.), The social medicine reader (Vol. II, pp. 133-136). Durham: Duke University Press. (
- 2006). The implementation of a study abroad course for nursing. Nurse Educator, 31, 129-131. (
- 2004). The relational core of nursing practice as partnership. Journal of Advanced Nursing, 47 (3), 241-250. , , & (
- 2006). Nurses on the move: Migration and the global health care economy. Ithaca, NY: Cornell University Press. (
- 1997). The doula: An essential ingredient of childbirth rediscovered. Acta Paediatrica, 86 (10), 1034-1036. , & (
- 2003). Quality of care in institutionalized deliveries: The paradox of the Dominican Republic. International Journal of Gynaecology and Obstetrics, 82 (1), 104-106. , , , , , , et al. (
- Proyecto ADAMES. (2005). Working toward healthy mothers and babies. Retrieved May 17, 2007, from http://www.proyectoadames.org.
- 2006). Compassion fatigue and nursing work: Can we accurately capture the consequences of caring work? International Journal of Nursing Practice, 12, 135-142. (
- 1992). Death without weeping: The violence of everyday life in Brazil. Berkeley: The University of California Press. (
- 1980). Participant observation. Fort Worth, TX: Harcourt Brace. (
- 1998). Cultural humility versus cultural competence: A critical distinction in defining physician training outcomes in multicultural education. Journal of Health Care for the Poor and Underserved, 9 (2), 117-125. , & (
- 2004). New and underused technologies to reduce maternal mortality. Lancet, 363, 75-76. (
- United Nations. (2005). The UN millennium development goals. Retrieved April 21, 2008, from http://www.un.org/millenniumgoals/.
- 2007). When west meets east: A short-term immersion experience in South Korea. International Journal of Nursing Education Scholarship, 4 (1), 1-14. (
- World Health Organization. (1999). Reduction of maternal mortality: A joint statement WHO/UNFPA/UNICEF World Bank statement. Geneva: Author.
- World Health Organization. (2002). Strategic directions for strengthening nursing and midwifery services. Geneva: Author.