The authors report no conflict of interest or relevant financial relationships.
Implementation of the Baby-Friendly Hospital Initiative Steps in Iowa Hospitals
Article first published online: 2 OCT 2012
© 2012 AWHONN, the Association of Women's Health, Obstetric and Neonatal Nurses
Journal of Obstetric, Gynecologic, & Neonatal Nursing
Volume 41, Issue 6, pages 717–727, November/December 2012
How to Cite
Lillehoj, C. J. and Dobson, B. L. (2012), Implementation of the Baby-Friendly Hospital Initiative Steps in Iowa Hospitals. Journal of Obstetric, Gynecologic, & Neonatal Nursing, 41: 717–727. doi: 10.1111/j.1552-6909.2012.01411.x
- Issue published online: 26 NOV 2012
- Article first published online: 2 OCT 2012
- Manuscript Accepted: JUN 2012
- Academy of Breastfeeding Medicine. (2010). Position on breastfeeding. Breastfeeding Medicine, 5(4). Retrieved from http://www.bfmed.org/Media/Files/Documents/pdf/Statements/ABM_Position_on_Breastfeeding%20bfm.2008.9988.pdf
- Academy of Breastfeeding Medicine. (2010). Model breastfeeding policy. Breastfeeding Medicine, 5(4). Retrieved from http://www. bfmed.org/Resources/Protocols.aspx
- American Academy of Pediatrics. (2012). Breastfeeding and the use of human milk. Pediatrics, 129(3), 827–841.
- 1991). Nurses’ knowledge of breastfeeding. Journal of Obstetric, Gynecologic & Neonatal Nursing, 20, 58–64. , & (
- Baby-Friendly USA. (2004). Baby-Friendly Hospital Initiative: Facility self-appraisal tool. Sandwich, MA: Author.
- Baby-Friendly USA. (2010). Guidelines and evaluation criteria for facilities seeking Baby-Friendly designation. Sandwich, MA: Author.
- Baby-Friendly USA. (2011). About the Baby Friendly Hospital Initiative. Retrieved from http://www.babyfriendlyusa.org/eng/01.html#3
- 2003). Evaluation of the impact of the Baby-Friendly Hospital Initiative on rates of breastfeeding. American Journal of Public Health, 93, 1277–1279. , , , , , & (
- 2001). Effect on rates of breastfeeding of training for the Baby Friendly Hospital Initiative. British Medical Journal, 323, 1358–1362. , & (
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. (2011). Maternity practices in infant nutrition and care in Iowa. Atlanta, GA: Author. Retrieved from http://www.cdc.gov/breastfeeding/pdf/mPINC/states/mPINC_2007_Iowa.pdf
- 2009). Hospital practices and women's likelihood of fulfilling their intention to exclusively breastfeed. American Journal of Public Health, 99(5), 929–35. , , , & (
- 2006). Listening to Mothers II: Report of the Second National U.S. Survey of Women's Childbearing Experiences. New York, NY: Childbirth Connection. , , , & (
- 2008). Effect of maternity-care practices on breastfeeding. Pediatrics, 122, s43–s49. , , & (
- 1999). Adherence to the ten steps of the baby-friendly hospital initiative in Minnesota hospitals. Birth, 26(4), 239–247. , , , , & (
- 1995). Breastfeeding education of obstetrics-gynecology residents and practitioners. American Journal of Obstetrics & Gynecology, 173, 1607–1613. , , , & (
- 2005). Breastfeeding and the use of human milk. Pediatrics, 115, 496–506. , , , , , , & (
- Iowa Department of Public Health. (2010). 2010 vital statistics of Iowa. Des Moines, IA: Author. Retrieved from http://www.idph.state. ia.us/apl/common/pdf/health_statistics/
- 1997). Hospital breastfeeding policies in the Philadelphia area: A comparison with the ten steps to successful breastfeeding. Birth, 24(1), 41–48. (
- 2001). Promotion of Breastfeeding Intervention Trial (PROBIT): A randomized trial in the Republic of Belarus. Journal of the American Medical Association, 285(4), 413–420. , , , , , , & (
- 2000). Does breastfeeding education affect nursing staff beliefs, exclusive breastfeeding rates, and Baby-Friendly Hospital Initiative compliance? The experience of a small, rural Canadian hospital. Journal of Human Lactation, 16(4), 309–318. (
- 2005). Breastfeeding rates in US Baby-Friendly hospitals: Results of a national survey. Pediatrics, 116(3), 628–634. , , , , & (
- 2003). The Baby-Friendly Hospital Initiative increases breastfeeding rates in a U.S. neonatal intensive care unit. Journal of Human Lactation, 19(2), 166–171. , , , & (
- 2011). Vital signs: Hospital practices to support breastfeeding-United States, 2007 and 2009. Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report, 60, 1–6. , , , , , , & (
- 2001). Baby-Friendly Hospital Initiative improves breastfeeding initiation rates in a U.S. hospital setting. Pediatrics, 108, 677–681. , , , , , … (
- 2008). Impact of hospital policies on breastfeeding outcomes. Breastfeeding Medicine, 3(2), 110–116. , , , , & (
- 1996). Ten Steps to successful breastfeeding: A summary of the rationale and scientific evidence. Birth, 23, 154–160. , & (
- United Nations Children's Fund. (1992). UNICEF guidelines: Baby FRIENDLY HOSPITAL INITIATIVE. Washington, DC: U.S. Committee for UNICEF.