Patient Transfer from Nursing Home to Emergency Department: Outcomes and Policy Implications
Article first published online: 29 SEP 2008
© 1997 Society for Academic Emergency Medicine
Academic Emergency Medicine
Volume 4, Issue 9, pages 908–915, September 1997
How to Cite
Jones, J. S., Dwyer, P. R., White, L. J. and Firman, R. (1997), Patient Transfer from Nursing Home to Emergency Department: Outcomes and Policy Implications. Academic Emergency Medicine, 4: 908–915. doi: 10.1111/j.1553-2712.1997.tb03818.x
- Issue published online: 29 SEP 2008
- Article first published online: 29 SEP 2008
- Received: December 12, 19%; revision received: February 20, 1997;accepted: March 17. 1997: updated: March 29. 1997.
- Relationship of long-term and acute-care facilities: the problem of patient transfer and continuity of care. J Am Geriatr SOC. 1985; 33:819–26. , ,
- Nursing home patients transferred by ambulance to a VA emergency department. J Am Geriatr SOC. 1991; 39:132–6. ,
- Referral of patients from long-term to acute-care facilities. J Am Geriatr Soc. 1983; 31:74–8. ,
- Health and Public Policy Committee of the American College of Physicians. Long-term care of the elderly. Ann Intern Med. 1984; 100:760–3.
- Appropriateness of patient transfer from a nursing home to an acute-care hospital: a study of emergency room visits and hospital admissions. J Am Geriatr SOC. 1991; 39:1164–8. ,
- Iatrogenic disease on a medical service. I Am Geriatr SOC. 1984; 32:445–9.
- Elderly patients in the emergency department. Ann Emerg Med. 1989; 18:1222–9.
- Inappropriate use and unmet need in paramedic and non-paramedic ambulance systems. Ann Emerg Med. 1987; 16:553–6. , ,
- Care of the elderly in the emergency department. Ann Emerg Med. 1986; 15:528–35. , , , et al.
- The natural history of nursing home patients. Gerontologist. 1985; 25:382–8. , ,
- The physician decision-making process in transferring nursing home patients to the hospital. Arch Intern Med. 1994; 154:902–8. , , ,
- Mechanical restraint use and fall-related injuries among residents of skilled nursing facilities. Ann Intern Med. 1992; 116:369–74. , ,
- Factors associated with the elderly falling in intermediate care facilities. Drug Intell Clin Pharmacol. 1985; 19:142–5. , , , et al.
- Reducing the hospitalization of nursing home residents. J Am Geriatr Soc. 1988; 36:171–3.
- Nursing homes as acute care providers: a pilot study of incentives to reduce hospitaliza-tions. J Am Geriatr Soc. 1988; 36:124–9. , , ,
- Improving primary care in nursing homes. J Am Geriatr Soc. 1990; 39:359–67. , , , , .
- The role of emergency services in health care for the elderly: a review. J Emerg Med. 1993; 11:317–26. , ,
- Principles of care and application of the geriatric emergency care model. In: SandersAB (ed). Emergency Care of the Elderly Person. St. Louis, MO: Beverly Cracorn Publications, 1996, pp 59–93. , , , ,
- Omnibus Budget Reconciliation Act (OBRA) 1989, Sections 6018 and 6211. Amending Social Secunty Act and 42 U.S.C. 1395dd at Sections 1866 and 1867.
- The Federal Register, vol 56, no. 187, 1991 September 26., pp 48865–921.
- Physician evaluation and management of nursing home residents. Ann Intern Med. 1994; 121:584–92. ,
- Omnibus Budget Reconciliation Act of 1987 and its implications for the medical director. Clin Geriatr Med. 1995; 11:419–27.
- Emergency physicians and ‘patients’ assessments: urgency of need for medical care. Ann Emerg Med. 1980; 9:502–7. , ,
- Dynamics and clinical implications of the nursing home—hospital interface. Clin Geriatr Med. 1988; 4:471–91. , ,