*Other members of the New York State Poison Control Center Coin Ingestion Study Group were (alphabetically, by center): Central New York Poison Control Center: Michele Caliva, RN, and Richard Cantor, MD; Finger Lakes Regional Poison Cen-ter: Ruth Lawrence, MD, and Paul Wax, MD; Hudson Valley Regional Poison Center: William Chiang, MD, and Patricia Purello, MS, MPA; Long Island Regional Poison Control Cen-ter: Howard Mofenson, MD; and New York City Poison Control Center: Robert Hoffman, MD.
Home Observation for Asymptomatic Coin Ingestion: Acceptance and Outcomes
Version of Record online: 28 JUN 2008
Academic Emergency Medicine
Volume 6, Issue 3, pages 213–217, March 1999
How to Cite
Conners, G. P., Cobaugh, D. J., Feinberg, R., Lucanie, R., Caraccio, T., Stork, C. M. and THE New York State Poison Control Center Coin Ingestion Study Group (1999), Home Observation for Asymptomatic Coin Ingestion: Acceptance and Outcomes. Academic Emergency Medicine, 6: 213–217. doi: 10.1111/j.1553-2712.1999.tb00158.x
- Issue online: 28 JUN 2008
- Version of Record online: 28 JUN 2008
- received September 4, 1998; revised November 10, 1998; accepted November 20, 1998
- foreign body;
- poison control center;
- home observation;
Objectives: To obtain preliminary estimates of the acceptance rate and the frequency of adverse outcomes, and to identify issues related to acceptance, associated with management of asymptomatic pediatric coin ingestion by home observation, in preparation for a large-scale prospective study. Methods: Scripted telephone follow-up of callers who had reported asymptomatic pediatric coin ingestions to one of five poison control centers six to 36 months previously, which had been managed by home observation. Results: Of the 67 callers enrolled, 41 (67%) reported contacting a physician regarding the coin ingestion, despite home observation instruction by poison control center personnel. Those who did not recall being instructed in home observation were more likely to have contacted a physician than those who did. Nearly all, however, were satisfied with the advice they had been given. One child developed subsequent symptoms; as per the instructions that had been given by poison control center personnel, his parent sought physician evaluation, revealing an esophageal coin, which was removed uneventfully. No other child developed complications. Conclusions: Although all of the 67 children managed by home observation did well, most of their caretakers had not accepted this management strategy. Acceptance, while unrelated to satisfaction, may be related to comprehension of the instructions caregivers are given. A prospective study of home observation for asymptomatic pediatric coin ingestion would be safe and would allow further examination of factors affecting acceptance.