Demonstration of High-fidelity Simulation Team Training for Emergency Medicine
Article first published online: 28 JUN 2008
Academic Emergency Medicine
Volume 6, Issue 4, pages 312–323, April 1999
How to Cite
Small, S. D., Wuerz, R. C., Simon, R., Shapiro, N., Conn, A. and Setnik, G. (1999), Demonstration of High-fidelity Simulation Team Training for Emergency Medicine. Academic Emergency Medicine, 6: 312–323. doi: 10.1111/j.1553-2712.1999.tb00395.x
- Issue published online: 28 JUN 2008
- Article first published online: 28 JUN 2008
- Received September 17, 1998; Revised December 10, 1998; Accepted December 15, 1998
- 1Naturalistic decision making: where are we now? In: ZsambokC, KleinG (eds). Naturalistic Decision Making. Mahwah , NJ : Lawrence Erlbaum Associates, 1997, p 5..
- 3Man-Made Disasters. London : Wykeham Science Press, 1978..
- 4Normal Accidents: Living with High-Risk Technologies. San Francisco : Harper Collins Publishers, 1984..
- 5Human Error. Cambridge : Cambridge University Press, 1990..
- 6The Logic of Failure: Recognizing and Avoiding Error in Complex Situations. Reading , MA : Addison-Wesley, 1996 [English translation]. (Originally published in German under the title Die Logik des Misslingens, Rowholt Verlag, 1989)..
- 7Human Error: Cause, Prediction, and Reduction. Hillsdale , NJ : Lawrence Erlbaum Associates, 1991., .
- 14Cockpit Resource Management. New York : Academic Press, 1993., , .
- 15Full Scale Development of the Emergency Team Coordination Course and Evaluation Measures. Dynamics Research Corporation (Report E-3090U, prepared for the Army Research Laboratory, Andover, MA, 1997)., , , , .
- 17Critical events simulation for training in anesthesiology [abstract]. J Clin Monit. 1988; 4: 150., , , .
- 22Simulation Issue, ASA Newslett. Park Ridge , IL : American Society of Anesthesiologists, Oct 1997.
- 23Use of medical simulators—subject of international study. Anesth Pat Saf Foundation Newslett. 1998; 13: 8–10., , .
- 24Public Opinion of Patient Safety Issues Research Findings. Prepared for the National Patient Safety Foundation at the AMA by Louis Harris and Associates, Chicago, Sept 1997.
- 25Examining errors in health care: developing a prevention, education, and research agenda. Annenberg Center for Health Sciences at Eisenhower, Rancho Mirage, CA. Proceedings of a multidisciplinary leadership conference held Oct 13-15, 1996.
- 28MedTeams: A research approach to team-based care. Presented at the American College of Emergency Physicians, The Management Academy, 1998, New Orleans, LA, May 29, 1998., , , .
- 29Teamwork errors in emergency medicine: a large scale application of lessons learned from aviation accident prevention. Presented at the Society for Academic Emergency Medicine Annual Meeting, Chicago, IL, May 20 1998., , , .
- 30Anesthesia Crisis Resource Management. New York : Churchill Livingstone, 1994., , .
- 32GabaDM, KurrekM, SmallSD, (eds). Anesthesia Crisis Resource Management Instructor Training Manual. Toronto : The Working Group for Training Materials in Realistic Simulation in Anesthesiology, 1995.
- 34Emergency ultrasound. In: RosenP, BarkinR, DanzlDF, et al. (eds). Emergency Medicine: Concepts and Clinical Practice. St. Louis : Mosby, 1998., , .
- 36MartinPB, (ed). Coordination of Care. Forum. 1996; 17: 2–14 (a publication of the Risk Management Foundation of the Harvard Medical Institutions, Inc.).
- 37Patey R and the Lotas Group. Team coordination and breakdowns in a real-life stressful environment. Proceedings of the Human Factors and Ergonomics Society, 1998., ,
- 38Uncertainty in trauma patient resuscitation. Proceedings of the Human Factors and Ergonomics Society, 1997., .
- 39Why do experts disagree? Presented at the Fourth International Conference on Naturalistic Decision Making, Airlie, VA, 1998..
- 46Team performance in the operating room. In: BognerS (ed). Human Error in Medicine. Hillsdale , NJ : Lawrence Erlbaum Associates, 1994, pp 225–55., .
- 47Demonstration of realistic full-environment training for office-based gynecologic surgery using linked surgical and anesthesia patient simulators. Presented at the International College of Gynecologic Endoscopy, Atlanta, GA, 1998., .
- 48The Role of Emergency Medicine in the Future of American Medical Care. New York : Josiah Macy Jr. Foundation, Apr 1994.