*Part II follows in this issue.
Preventive Care in the Emergency Department, Part I: Clinical Preventive Services—Are They Relevant to Emergency Medicine?*
Article first published online: 28 JUN 2008
Academic Emergency Medicine
Volume 7, Issue 9, pages 1036–1041, September 2000
How to Cite
Rhodes, K. V., Gordon, J. A., Lowe, R. A. and The Society for Academic Emergency Medicine Public Health and Education Task Force Preventive Services Work Group (2000), Preventive Care in the Emergency Department, Part I: Clinical Preventive Services—Are They Relevant to Emergency Medicine?. Academic Emergency Medicine, 7: 1036–1041. doi: 10.1111/j.1553-2712.2000.tb02097.x
†Charlene B. Irvin, MD, Project Director, Template Co-designer; Peter C. Wyer, MD, Template Designer and Proctor; Lowell W. Gerson, PhD, Template Co-designer, Proctor, and Topic Reviewer (Geriatric Falls); Karin Rhodes, MD, Project Co-initiator and Topic Reviewer (Social Services); James A. Gordon, MD, MPA, Project Co-initiator and Topic Reviewer (Social Services); Robert A. Lowe, MD, MPH, Project Co-initiator, Template Co-designer. Topic Reviewers (in topic alphabetical order): Cardiovascular: David Kerr, MD, and Trisha Nouhan, MD; Child Abuse: Allen Walker, MD, and Scott Krugman, MD; Domestic Violence: Deirdre Anglin, MD, MPH, and Carolyn Sachs, MD, MPH; Geriatric Screening: Lowell Gerson, PhD, and John V. Weigand, MD; Immunizations—Adult: Robert D. Powers, MD, MPH, and Stuart Brilliant, MD; Injury Prevention: Herbert Garrison, MD, MPH, Leslie Maas, MHS, Stephen Hargarten, MD, MPH, Mallory O'Brian, MS, and Guohua Li, MD; Mental Health: Ken Parsons, MD, and Terry Kowalenko, MD; Neoplastic: Kimberly Collins, MD, and Denise Nassisi, MD; Pediatrics: Lori Montagna, MD, and Bruce Becker, MD, MPH; Social Services: James A. Gordon, MD, MPA, and Karin Rhodes, MD; Sexually Transmitted Diseases: Richard Rothman, MD, PhD, Theresa Dolan, MD, Charlene Babcock Irvin, MD, and David Slobodkin, MD, MPH; Substance Abuse: Gail D'Onofrio, MD, and Linda Degutis, DrPH; Emergency Department Surveillance: Jon Mark Hirshon, MD, MPH; Tobacco: Steve Bernstein, MD, and Bruce Becker, MD, MPH; Youth Violence: Elizabeth Datner, MD, and Kimberly Collins, MD.
- Issue published online: 28 JUN 2008
- Article first published online: 28 JUN 2008
- Received April 21, 2000; accepted April 23, 2000
- preventive services;
- emergency medicine;
- evidence-based medicine;
- practice guidelines;
- prevention research
Abstract. In 1998 the Society for Academic Emergency Medicine's (SAEM's) Board of Directors asked the SAEM Public Health and Education Task Force to develop recommendations for prevention, screening, and counseling activities to be conducted in emergency departments (EDs). The Task Force's work was divided into two phases: 1) a discussion of the rationale for preventive services in the ED, along with generation of a preliminary list of prevention activities that could be studied for ED implementation; and 2) a formal evidence-based review of topics chosen from the preliminary list, along with recommendations for ED implementation and further study. This paper represents Phase I of the project. Phase II, the formal evidence-based review and recommendations, is published separately in this issue.
- U.S. Preventive Services Task Force. Guide to Clinical Preventive Services, Second Edition. Baltimore , MD : Williams & Wilkins, 1996.
- The medical care system and prevention: the need for a new paradigm. HMO Pract. 1998; 12(Mar): 5–11. , , , , , .
- Putting Prevention into Practice, http:www.ahcpr.govppip.htm.
- Healthy People 2010 Objectives, http:www.saem.orginformhp2010.htm.
- A public health approach to emergency medicine: preparing for the twenty-first century [SAEM position paper]. Acad Emerg Med. 1994: 1:277–86. , , , et al.
- Timely Access to Health Care: The Critical Role of Emergency Medicine, http:www.saem.orgindex.htm.
- Definition of emergency medicine. Acad Emerg Med. 1998;5:348–51. , , , .
- Demonstration of the feasibility of emergency department immunization against influenza and pneumococcus. Ann Emerg Med. 1998; 32:537–43. , , , , , .
- Cervical cancer screening in an urban emergency department. Ann Emerg Med. 1992; 21:933–9. , , , .
- for the SAEM Substance Abuse Task Force Patients with alcohol problems in the emergency department, part 2: Intervention and Referral. Acad Emerg Med. 1998; 5:1210–7. , , ,
- Is an emergency department visit a marker for undervaccination and missed opportunities among children who have access to primary care? Pediatrics. 1993; 91:605–11. , , , et al
- Emergency department immunization of the elderly with pneumococcal and influenza vaccines. Ann Emerg Med. 1993; 22:1729–32. , .
- Case Studies in Emergency Medicine and Health of the Public. Boston : Jones and Bartlett, 1996. , .
- Need and desire for preventive care measures in emergency department patients. Ann Emerg Med. 1995; 26:615–20. , , .
- Project ASSERT: an ED based intervention to increase access to primary care, preventative services, and the substance abuse treatment system. Ann Emerg Med. 1997; 30:181–9. , , .
- Emergency department screening for syphilis in pregnant women without prenatal care. Ann Emerg Med. 1993; 22:781–5. , , .
- Suicide and violence prevention: parent education in the emergency department. J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry. 1999;38:250–5. , , , et al.
- An emergency department-based pneumococcal vaccination program could save money and lives. Ann Emerg Med. 1999; 33:299–303. , , .
- Behavioral risk factors in emergency department patients: a multisite survey. Acad Emerg Med. 1998; 5:781–7. , , , et al.
- for the SAEM Public Health and Education Task Force Preventive Services Work Group Preventive care in the emergency department, part II: Clinical preventive services—an emergency medicine evidence-based review. Acad Emerg Med. 2000; 7:1042–54. , , ,
- Emergency medicine in population-based systems of care. Ann Emerg Med. 1997;30:800–3. , .
- The cost of visits to emergency departments. N Engl J Med. 1996; 334:642–6. .
- US emergency department costs: no emergency. Am J Public Health. 1996;86:1527–31. , , .
- Preventive care guidelines: 1991. Ann Intern Med. 1991;114:758–83. , , , , .
- Comparison of recommendations for adolescent clinical preventive services developed by national organizations. Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med. 1998; 152:193–8. .
- Domestic violence against women: incidence and prevalence in an emergency department population. JAMA. 1995;273:1763–7. , , , .
- Violence among intimates in an inner-city ED population [abstract]. Acad Emerg Med. 1996; 3:444. , , , .
- Increasing emergency physician recognition of domestic violence. Ann Emerg Med. 1996; 27:741–6. , , , , , .
- Accuracy of 3 brief screening questions for detecting partner violence in the emergency department. JAMA. 1997;277:1357–61. , , , et al.
- Case-finding instruments for depression. Two questions are as good as many. J Gen Intern Med. 1997; 12:439–45. , , , .
- The hospital emergency department as a social welfare institution. Ann Emerg Med. 1999;33:321–5. .
- Emergency department surveillance: an examination of issues and proposal for a national strategy. Ann Emerg Med. 1994; 24:849–56. , , , et al.
- EMERGEncy ID Net: an emergency department-based emerging infections sentinel network. Ann Emerg Med. 1998; 32:703–11. , , , et al.
- Bartolomeos K. Firearm injury surveillance at the local level: from data to action. Am J Prev Med. 1998; 15(3 suppl): 109–12. .
- Clinical prevention services: how should we define the indications? Mayo Clin Proc. 1990;65:899–902.