*Part I appears earlier in this issue.
Preventive Care in the Emergency Department, Part II: Clinical Preventive Services—An Emergency Medicine Evidence-based Review*
Article first published online: 28 JUN 2008
Academic Emergency Medicine
Volume 7, Issue 9, pages 1042–1054, September 2000
How to Cite
Irvin, C. B., Wyer, P. C., Gerson, L. W. and The Society for Academic Emergency Medicine Public Health and Education Task Force Preventive Services Work Group (2000), Preventive Care in the Emergency Department, Part II: Clinical Preventive Services—An Emergency Medicine Evidence-based Review. Academic Emergency Medicine, 7: 1042–1054. doi: 10.1111/j.1553-2712.2000.tb02098.x
†Charlene B. Irvin, MD, Project Director, Template Co-designer, Topic Reviewer (HIV); Peter C. Wyer, MD, Template Designer and Proctor; Lowell W. Gerson, PhD, Template Co-designer, Proctor, and Topic Reviewer (Geriatric Falls); Karin Rhodes, MD, Project Co-initiator and Topic Reviewer (Social Services); James A. Gordon, MD, MPA, Project Co-initiator and Topic Reviewer (Social Services); Robert A. Lowe, MD, MPH, Project Co-initiator, Template Co-designer. Topic Reviewers (in topic alphabetical order): Cardiovascular: David Kerr, MD, and Trisha Nouhan, MD; Child Abuse: Allen Walker, MD, and Scott Krugman, MD; Domestic Violence: Deirdre Anglin, MD, MPH, and Carolyn Sachs, MD, MPH; Geriatric Screening: Lowell Gerson, PhD, and John V. Weigand, MD; Immunizations—Adult: Robert D. Powers, MD, MPH, and Stuart Brilliant, MD; Injury Prevention: Herbert Garrison, MD, MPH, Leslie Maas, MHS, Stephen Hargarten, MD, MPH, Mallory O'Brian, MS, and Guohua Li, MD; Mental Health: Ken Parsons, MD, and Terry Kowalenko, MD; Neoplastic: Kimberly Collins, MD, and Denise Nassisi, MD; Pediatrics: Lori Montagna, MD, and Bruce Becker, MD, MPH; Social Services: James A. Gordon, MD, MPA, and Karin Rhodes, MD; Sexually Transmitted Diseases: Richard Rothman, MD, PhD, Theresa Dolan, MD, Charlene Irvin, MD, and David Slobodkin, MD, MPH; Substance Abuse: Gail D'Onofrio, MD, and Linda Degutis, DrPH; Emergency Department Surveillance: Jon Mark Hirshon, MD, MPH; Tobacco: Steve Bernstein, MD, and Bruce Becker, MD, MPH; Youth Violence: Elizabeth Datner, MD, and Kimberly Collins, MD.
- Issue published online: 28 JUN 2008
- Article first published online: 28 JUN 2008
- Received April 21, 2000; accepted April 23, 2000
- National Hospital Ambulatory Medical Care Survey: 1997 Emergency Department Summary. Advance data from Vital and Health Statistics; no. 304. Hyattsville , MD : National Center for Health Statistics, 1999. .
- Behavioral risk factors in emergency department patients: a multisite survey. Acad Emerg Med. 1988; 5:781–7. , , , et al.
- for the SAEM Public Health and Education Task Force Preventive Services Work Group. Preventive care in the emergency department, part I: Clinical preventive services—are they relevant to emergency medicine? Acad Emerg Med. 2000; 7:1036–41. , , ,
- Improving the quality of reports of meta-analyses of randomised controlled trials: the QUORUM statement. Lancet. 1999;354:1896–900. , , , et al.
- The Cochrane Collaboration Handbook. The Cochrane Library, Version 3.0.2. Oxford , UK : Update Software, 1997.
- Developing an evidence-based guide to community preventive services—methods. Am J Prev Med. 2000; 18(1 suppl): 35–43. , , , et al.
- U.S Preventive Services Task Force. Guide to Clinical Preventive Services, Second Edition. Report of the U.S. Preventive Services Task Force, U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Office of Public Health and Science, Office of Disease Prevention and Health Promotion, 1996.
- The Cochrane Library, Issue 4. Oxford , UK : Update Software, 1999.
- Monthly literature review and database published by the Center for Medical Education, Creamery , PA .
- CDC Prevention of pneumococcal disease: recommendations of the Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices (ACIP). MMWR. 1997; 46(RR-08): 1–24.
- Assessing the quality of reports of randomized clinical trials: is blinding necessary? Controlled Clin Trials. 1996;17:1–12. , , , et al
- User's guides to the medical literature [editorial]. JAMA. 1993;270:2096–7. , .
- American College of Emergency Physicians Emergency medicine and domestic violence. Ann Emerg Med. 1995;25:442–3.
- American College of Obstetrics and Gynecologists ACOG technical bulletin no. 209: Domestic violence. Int J Gynaecol Obstet. 1995; 51:161–70.