Emergency Department Overcrowding Following Systematic Hospital Restructuring Trends at Twenty Hospitals over Ten Years
Article first published online: 28 JUN 2008
Academic Emergency Medicine
Volume 8, Issue 11, pages 1037–1043, November 2001
How to Cite
Schull, M. J., Szalai, J.-P., Schwartz, B. and Redelmeier, D. A. (2001), Emergency Department Overcrowding Following Systematic Hospital Restructuring Trends at Twenty Hospitals over Ten Years. Academic Emergency Medicine, 8: 1037–1043. doi: 10.1111/j.1553-2712.2001.tb01112.x
- Issue published online: 28 JUN 2008
- Article first published online: 28 JUN 2008
- received March 7, 2001 revision received June 7, 2001 accepted July 12, 2001.
- 1National Hospital Ambulatory Medical Care Survey: 1997 emergency department summary, Advance data from Vital and Health Statistics, 1999; 1–23.
- 3Ontario Hospital Association and Ministry of Health. OHA Region 3: Emergency Services Working Group. Final Report. Toronto , Ontario , Canada , 1998, pp 1–79.
- 4Ontario Hospital Association. A matter of hospital resources: an emergency care action plan, Toronto , Ontario , Canada , 2000, pp 1–40.
- 6Emergency room diversions: a symptom of hospitals under stress. Issue Brief: Findings from HSC. May 2001; 38:1-5. Washington , DC : Center for Studying Health System Change; Website: http:www.hschange.orgCONTENT312., ,
- 11Trends in ambulance diversion for Toronto emergency departments from 1991 to 1999 [abstract]. Acad Emerg Med 2000; 7: 520., , ,
- 12Overwhelmed in emergency: examining ER status at Hamilton Civic Hospital. Ontario Med Rev 1999; 57: 11–3.
- 18Health Services Restructuring Commission. Metropolitan Toronto Health Services Restructuring Report, Toronto , Ontario , Canada , 1997.
- 19First annual Toronto's health system report card. Toronto , Ontario , Canada : District Health Council, 1999.,
- 21Ontario Ministry of Health: Schedule of benefits, Physician services under the Health Insurance Act, Toronto , Ontario , Canada , 2000.
- 22Personal communication, Institute for Clinical Evaluative Sciences, Toronto , Ontario , Canada , 2001.
- 25“Kyle Martin” inquest report #9801205. Toronto , Ontario , Canada : Chief Coroner, 1998.,
- 26Le Coroner en chef and Gouvernement du Quebec. Rapport D'enquete: Deces de Jeannine Lacombe (Dossier 95356), Montreal , Quebec , Canada , Sept 1998.
- 28SAS Institute Inc. The AUTOREG procedure. In: SAS Institute Inc. SAS/ETS User's Guide. Cary , NC : SAS Institute Inc., 1993, pp 251–4.
- 29SAS Institute Inc. The SPECTRA procedure. In: SAS Institute Inc. SAS/ETS User's Guide. Cary , NC : SAS Institute Inc., 1993, pp 749–70.
- 32Emergency department divert: an analysis of the contributions of ED volume, hospital occupancy, and internal medicine inpatient census [abstract]. Acad Emerg Med 2001; 8: 575.
- 34Gastrointestinal emergencies. In: TintinalliJE, KelenGD, StapczynskiJS. Emergency Medicine: A Comprehensive Study Guide. New York : McGraw-Hill, 2001, pp 497–514.