Spencer S. Jones was supported through a grant from the National Library of Medicine (Training Grant 2 T15 LM07124-11).
Forecasting Daily Patient Volumes in the Emergency Department
Version of Record online: 7 FEB 2008
© 2008 by the Society for Academic Emergency Medicine
Academic Emergency Medicine
Volume 15, Issue 2, pages 159–170, February 2008
How to Cite
Jones, S. S., Thomas, A., Evans, R. S., Welch, S. J., Haug, P. J. and Snow, G. L. (2008), Forecasting Daily Patient Volumes in the Emergency Department. Academic Emergency Medicine, 15: 159–170. doi: 10.1111/j.1553-2712.2007.00032.x
- Issue online: 7 FEB 2008
- Version of Record online: 7 FEB 2008
- Received July 9, 2007; revision received August 20, 2007; accepted September 23, 2007.
- 1General Accounting Office. Hospital Emergency Departments: Crowded Conditions Vary among Hospitals and Communities. Washington, DC: General Accounting Office, 2003.
- 2American College of Emergency Physicians. The National Report Card on the State of Emergency Medicine. January 2006. Available at: http://my.acep.org/site/PageServer?pagename=wp1_research_overview. Accessed Aug 22, 2006.
- 3Institute of Medicine Committee on the Future of Emergency Care in the U.S. Health System. Hospital-Based Emergency Care: At the Breaking Point. Washington, DC: National Academies Press, 2006.
- 5Time series Forecasting. Boca Raton, FL: Chapman & Hall/CRC, 2001..
- 16Predicting emergency department status. Proceedings of the Sixth International Conference on Optimization: Techniques and Applications. Ballarat, Australia, December 9–11, 2004., , , , .
- 17Forecasting hospital emergency department arrivals. Presented at the 26th Annual Symposium on Forecasting, Santander, Spain, June 11–14, 2006. Available at: http://www.umass.edu/resec/faculty/morzuch/index.html. Accessed Sep 8, 2006., .
- 24R Development Core Team (2006). R: A language and environment for statistical computing. Vienna, Austria: R Foundation for Statistical Computing. Available at: http://www.R-project.org. Accessed Sep 28, 2007.
- 25U.S. Office of Personnel Management. Federal Holidays. Available at: http://www.opm.gov/Fedhol/. Accessed May 10, 2007.
- 26Time Series Analysis: Forecasting and Control. San Francisco, CA: Holden-Day, 1970., .
- 28GIS Climate Search. Logan (UT): Utah Climate Center, Utah State University. c2001–2007 [cited 2007 May 29]. Available at: http://climate.usurf.usu.edu/products/data.php. Accessed Sep 28, 2007.
- 30Pattern Recognition and Neural Networks. Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press, 1996..
- 34Neural Networks in Business Forecasting. Hershey, PA: Idea Group Publishing, 2004..
- 36Time Series: Theory and Methods. New York, NY: Springer-Verlag, 1991., .