Identifying Injection Drug Users at Risk of Nonfatal Overdose
Version of Record online: 28 JUN 2008
Academic Emergency Medicine
Volume 14, Issue 7, pages 616–623, July 2007
How to Cite
Coffin, P. O., Tracy, M., Bucciarelli, A., Ompad, D., Vlahov, D. and Galea, S. (2007), Identifying Injection Drug Users at Risk of Nonfatal Overdose. Academic Emergency Medicine, 14: 616–623. doi: 10.1111/j.1553-2712.2007.tb01846.x
- Issue online: 28 JUN 2008
- Version of Record online: 28 JUN 2008
- Received February 28, 2007; revision March 27, 2007; accepted April 1, 2007
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention Unintentional poisoning deaths—United States, 1999-2004. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep 2007;56(5):93–96.
- Mortality among problem drug users in Rome: an 18-year follow-up study, 1980-97 Addiction 2001;96:1455–1463. , , .
- Suspected opioid-related emergency medical services encounters in a rural state, 1997-2002 Prehosp Emerg Care 2004;8:427–430. , , .
- Overdose among heroin users in Sydney, Australia: I. Prevalence and correlates of non-fatal overdose Addiction 1996;91:405–411. , , .
- Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration. Drug abuse warning network, 2004: national estimates of drug-related emergency department visits. Rockville : MD, 2006.
- Morbidity associated with non-fatal heroin overdose Addiction 2002;97:963–967. , , .
- Predictors and prevention of nonfatal overdose among street-recruited injection heroin users in the San Francisco Bay Area, 1998-1999 Am J Public Health 2001;91:1842–1846. , , , et al.
- Predictors of accidental fatal drug overdose among a cohort of injection drug users Am J Public Health 2001;91:984–987. , , , , , .
- The relationship between depressive symptoms and nonfatal overdose among a sample of drug users in Baltimore Maryland. J Urban Health 2003;80:220–229. , .
- The costs and outcomes of treatment for opioid dependence associated with posttraumatic stress disorder Psychiatr Serv 2005;56:940–945. , , , , .
- The impact of borderline personality disorder on 12-month outcomes for the treatment of heroin dependence Addiction 2005;100:1121–1130. , , .
- Overdose in young people using heroin: Associations with mental health, prescription drug use and personal circumstances Med J Aust 2004;181:S25–S28. , , .
- The effect of HIV infection on overdose mortality AIDS 2005;19:935–942. , , , et al.
- Mechanisms of fatal opioid overdose Addiction 1999;94:961–972. , .
- Heroin overdose: research and evidence-based intervention J Urban Health 2003;80:189–200. , .
- Opiates, cocaine and alcohol combinations in accidental drug overdose deaths in New York City, 1990-98 Addiction 2003;98:739–747. , , , , , .
- Experience of non-fatal overdose among heroin users in Adelaide, Australia: circumstances and risk perceptions Addiction 1998;93:701–711. , , .
- Overdosing among young injection drug users in San Francisco Addict Behav 2001;26:453–460. , , .
- Social network correlates of self-reported non-fatal overdose Drug Alcohol Depend 2004;73:61–67. , , .
- Recent life problems and non-fatal overdose among heroin users entering treatment Addiction 2005;100:168–175. , .
- Intentional overdose among heroin overdose survivors J Urban Health 2003;80:230–237. , , .
- Drug-related deaths among recently released prisoners in the Strathclyde region of Scotland J Forensic Sci 2000;45:649–654. , , .
- Serious adverse events in the Australian national evaluation of pharmacotherapies for opioid dependence (NEPOD) Addiction 2004;99:450–460. , , , , .
- Non-fatal heroin overdose, treatment exposure and client characteristics: findings from the Australian Treatment Outcome Study (ATOS) Drug Alcohol Rev 2005;24:425–432. , , .
- Death from heroin overdose: findings from hair analysis Lancet 1998;351:1923–1925. , , .
- Hair morphine concentrations of fatal heroin overdose cases and living heroin users Addiction 2002;97:977–984. , , , , .
- Heroin and cocaine dependence and the risk of accidental non-fatal drug overdose J Addict Dis 2006;25:79–87. , , .
- Reductions in non-fatal overdose after drug misuse treatment: results from the national treatment outcome research study (NTORS) J Subst Abuse Treat 2002;22:1–9. , , .
- Bystander resuscitation attempts at heroin overdose: does it improve outcomes? Drug Alcohol Depend 2002;67:213–218. , , .
- Take-home naloxone to reduce heroin death Addiction 2005;100:1823–1831. , .
- Design and Implementation of the OOPS Emergency Department Project: Review to December 1998 Australia : Commonwealth Department of Health and Aged Care; 1999.
- Factors associated with prevalent hepatitis C: Differences among young adult injection drug users in lower and upper Manhattan, New York City Am J Public Health 2001;91:23–30. , , et al.
- Sexual orientation and HIV infection prevalence among young Latino injection drug users in Harlem J Womens Health Gend Based Med 2001;10:371–380. , , , , .
- The MOS 36-item short-form health survey (SF-36). I. conceptual framework and item selection Med Care 1992;30:473–483. , .
- The equivalence of SF-36 summary health scores estimated using standard and country-specific algorithms in 10 countries: results from the IQOLA project. International Quality of Life Assessment J Clin Epidemiol 1998;51:1167–1170. , , , et al.
- JE, Raczek AE. The MOS 36-item short-form health survey (SF-36): II. Psychometric and clinical tests of validity in measuring physical and mental health constructs Med Care 1993;31:247–263. , .
- Longitudinal application of the medical outcomes study 36-item short-form health survey with not-in-treatment crack-cocaine users Med Care 2000;38:902–910. , , .
- The severity of dependence scale (SDS): Psychometric properties of the SDS in English and Australian samples of heroin, cocaine and amphetamine users Addiction 1995;90:607–614. , , , et al.
- Test-retest reliability of the severity of dependence scale[letter] Addiction 1997;92:353. , , .
- Frequency of non-fatal heroin overdose: survey of heroin users recruited in non-clinical settings BMJ 1996;313:402. , , , , .
- Determining a diagnostic cut-off on the severity of dependence scale (SDS) for cocaine dependence Addiction 2002;97:727–731. , .
- The meaning and use of the area under a receiver operating characteristic (ROC) curve Radiology 1982;143:29–36. , .
- Regression modeling strategies, with applications to linear models, logistic regression, and survival analysis New York : Springer; 2000.
- Self-reported overdose among injecting drug users in London: extent and nature of the problem Addiction 1999;94:471–478. , , , et al.
- Fatal heroin ‘overdose’: a review Addiction 1996;91:1765–1772. , .
- Sex- and drug-related risk among populations of younger and older injection drug users in adjacent neighborhoods in San Francisco J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 2000;24:162–167. , , .
- Self-report among injecting drug users: a review Drug Alcohol Depend 1998;51:253–263. .
- Reliability of drug users' self-reported HIV risk behaviors and validity of self-reported recent drug use Assessment 1994;1:383–392. , , , et al.
- Reliability of homeless women's reports: concordance between hair assay and self report of cocaine use Nurs Res 2001;50:165–171. , , .