Promoting Teamwork: An Event-based Approach to Simulation-based Teamwork Training for Emergency Medicine Residents
Article first published online: 14 JUL 2008
© 2008 by the Society for Academic Emergency Medicine
Academic Emergency Medicine
Special Issue: Proceedings of The 2008 AEM Consensus Conference: The Science of Simulation in Healthcare: Defining and Developing Clinical Expertise Guest Editors:Amy Kaji, MD, PhD David C. Cone, MD
Volume 15, Issue 11, pages 1190–1198, November 2008
How to Cite
Rosen, M. A., Salas, E., Wu, T. S., Silvestri, S., Lazzara, E. H., Lyons, R., Weaver, S. J. and King, H. B. (2008), Promoting Teamwork: An Event-based Approach to Simulation-based Teamwork Training for Emergency Medicine Residents. Academic Emergency Medicine, 15: 1190–1198. doi: 10.1111/j.1553-2712.2008.00180.x
- Issue published online: 3 NOV 2008
- Article first published online: 14 JUL 2008
- Received March 3, 2008; revision received April 7, 2008; accepted April 27, 2008.
- 2Generating line-oriented flight simulation scenarios with the RRLOE computerized tool set. In: 45th Annual Meeting of the Human Factors and Ergonomics Society; 2001. Santa Monica, CA: Human Factors and Ergonomics Society, 2001., , , , .
- 3Improving the measurement of team performance: The TARGETs methodology. Mil Psychol. 1994; 6:47–61., , , , .
- 4Team performance measurement in distributed environments: The TARGETs methodology. In: BrannickMT, SalasE, PrinceC, (eds). Team Performance Assessment and Measurement: Theory, Methods, and Applications. Mahwah, NJ: Erlbaum, 1997: 137–53., , , , .
- 5Beyond the basics: Bringing simulation theory & technology together. In: Council of Emergency Medicine Residency Directors (CORD) Academic Assembly. March 2, 2007, Orlando, FL., , , , , .
- 7Better: A Surgeon’s Notes on Performance. New York, NY: Picador, 2008..
- 9Human factors and ergonomics in the emergency department. In: CarayonP, (ed). Handbook of Human Factors and Ergonomics in Health Care and Patient Safety. Mahwah, NJ: Erlbaum, 2007: 851–63., .
- 12Joint Commission on Accreditation of Healthcare Organizations. Root causes for sentinel events, 2006. Available at: http://www.jointcommission.org/SentinelEvents/Statistics/. Accessed Feb 27, 2008.
- 13Managing teams managing crises: Principles for teamwork in the ER and beyond. Theor Issues Ergon Sci. 2007; 8:381–94., , .
- 15Teamwork training for patient safety: Best practices and guiding principles. In: CarayonP (ed). Handbook of Human Factors and Ergonomics in Health Care and Patient Safety. Mahwah, NJ: Erlbaum, 2007: 803–22., , , , .
- 16What we know about designing and delivering team training: Tips and guidelines. In: KraigerK, (ed). Creating, Implementing, and Managing Effective Training and Development. San Francisco, CA: Jossey-Bass, 2002: 235–59., , .
- 17Scenario-based training: Improving military mission performance and adaptability. In: AdlerAB, CastroCA, BrittTW (eds). Military Life: The Psychology of Serving in Peace and Combat. Westport, CT: Praeger Security International, 2006: 32–53., , , .
- 19Stress exposure training. In: Cannon-BowersJA, SalasE (eds). Making Decisions under Stress. Washington, DC: American Psychological Association, 1998: 191–217., .
- 22Team dimensional training: a strategy for guided team self-correction. In: SalasE, Cannon-BowersJA (eds). Making Decisions under Stress: Implications for Individual and Team Training. Washington, DC: APA, 1998: 271–97., , , .
- 23Defining team competencies and establishing team training requirements. In: GuzzoR, SalasE (eds). Team Effectiveness and Decision Making in Organizations. San Francisco, CA: Jossey-Bass, 1995: 330–80., , , .
- 24Medical Teamwork and Patient Safety: The Evidence-Based Relationship. Rockville, MD: Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality, 2005, AHRQ Publication No. 05–0053., , , , .
- 26A multilevel approach to theory and research in organizations: contextual, temporal, and emergent processes. In: KleinKJ, KozlowskiSW (eds). Multilelvel Theory, Research, and Methods in Organizations: Foundations, Extensions, and New Directions. San Francisco, CA: Jossey-Bass, 2000: 3–90., .
- 27Facilitation and Debriefing in Aviation Training Operations. Aldershot, UK: Ashgate, 2000., .