Presented at the 2008 Academic Emergency Medicine Consensus Conference, “The Science of Simulation in Healthcare: Defining and Developing Clinical Expertise,” Washington, DC, May 28, 2008.
Debriefing as Formative Assessment: Closing Performance Gaps in Medical Education
Article first published online: 20 OCT 2008
© 2008 by the Society for Academic Emergency Medicine
Academic Emergency Medicine
Special Issue: Proceedings of The 2008 AEM Consensus Conference: The Science of Simulation in Healthcare: Defining and Developing Clinical Expertise Guest Editors:Amy Kaji, MD, PhD David C. Cone, MD
Volume 15, Issue 11, pages 1010–1016, November 2008
How to Cite
Rudolph, J. W., Simon, R., Raemer, D. B. and Eppich, W. J. (2008), Debriefing as Formative Assessment: Closing Performance Gaps in Medical Education. Academic Emergency Medicine, 15: 1010–1016. doi: 10.1111/j.1553-2712.2008.00248.x
- Issue published online: 3 NOV 2008
- Article first published online: 20 OCT 2008
- Received July 8, 2008; revision received July 17, 2008; accepted July 18, 2008.
- 1The Institute for Medical Simulation: a new resource for medical educators worldwide [abstract]. Anesth Analg. 2005; 101(Suppl 6S):S22., , , , , .
- 3Foundations of the after action review process. Special Report 42: United States Army Research Institute for the Behavioral and Social Science, 1999., .
- 4Facilitation and Debriefing in Aviation Training and Operations. Aldershot, UK: Ashgate, 2001., .
- 5Some theoretical issues relating to education evaluation. In: TylerRW, (ed.) Educational Evaluation: New Role, New Means. Chicago, IL: University of Chicago Press, 1969: pp 26–50..
- 6The methodology of evaluation. In: TylerRW, GagneRM, ScrivenM, (eds.) Perspectives of Curriculum Evaluation. Chicago, IL: Rand McNally, 1967: pp 39–83..
- 7Experiential Learning: Experience as the Source of Learning and Development. Englewood Cliffs, NJ: Prentice-Hall, 1984..
- 8Educating the Reflective Practitioner: Toward a New Design for Teaching and Learning in the Professions. San Francisco, CA: Jossey-Bass, 1987..
- 11In conversation: transforming experience into learning. Simul Gam. 1997; 28:6–12., , .
- 12Psychological Debriefing. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 2000., .
- 16Assessment and classroom learning. Assess Educ. 1998; 5:7–74., .
- 18The impact of evaluation processes on students. Educ Psychol. 1980; 22:155–75..
- 19Investigating Formative Assessment: Teaching Learning and Assessment in the Classroom. Maidenhead, UK: Open University Press, 1998., .
- 20Assessment and learning: differences and relationships between formative and summative assessment. Assess Educ: Principles, Policy and Practice 1997; 4:365–77., .
- 21Assessment and classroom learning: a deductive approach. Assess Educ: Principles, Policy and Practice 1998; 5:111–25., .
- 24Being all that you can be: identities and interactions in organizations. In: Proceedings from Academy of Management. Seattle, WA, August 3–6, 2003..
- 26Mental Models. Hillsdale, NJ: Lawrence Erlbaum Associates, 1983., .
- 27Action Science: Concepts, Methods and Skills for Research and Intervention. San Francisco, CA: Jossey-Bass, 1985., , .
- 28Change: Principles of Problem Formation and Problem Resolution. New York, NY: Horton, 1974., , .
- 29Sensemaking in Organizations. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage Publications, 1995..
- 31Learning from mistakes is easier said than done: group and organizational influences on the detection and correction of human error. J Appl Behav Sci. 1996; 32:5–28..
- 32Friendly Fire: The Accidental Shootdown of U.S. Black Hawks Over Northern Iraq. Princeton, NJ: Princeton University Press, 2000..
- 33The Adult Learner. The Definitive Classic in Adult Education and Human Resource Development. 6th ed. Burlington, MA: Elsevier, 2005., , .
- 34Relational Psychotherapy: From Basic Concepts to Passion. London, UK: Jessica Kingsley Publishers, 2003..
- 36Constructing the Sexual Crucible: An Integration of Sexual and Marital Therapy. New York, NY: WW Norton & Co., 1991..
- 37Conjoint Family Therapy, 3rd ed. Palo Alto, CA: Science and Behavior Books, 1983..
- 40How The Way We Talk Can Change The Way We Work. San Francisco, CA: Jossey-Bass, 2001., .
- 41Audiovisual methods in teaching, 3rd ed. Orlando, FL: Holt, Rinehart and Winston, Inc., 1969..
- 43Debriefing teamwork skills in high-fidelity simulation. In: DaRosaDA, (ed.) A Guidebook for Program Directors: The ACS/APDS Surgical Skills Curriculum: Phase III. Chicago, IL: American College of Surgeons, 2008., , , .