This is derived from the proceedings of the 2008 Academic Emergency Medicine Consensus Conference “The Science of Simulation in Healthcare: Defining and Developing Clinical Expertise,” Washington, DC, May 28, 2008.
Toward a Definition of Teamwork in Emergency Medicine
Article first published online: 1 OCT 2008
© 2008 by the Society for Academic Emergency Medicine
Academic Emergency Medicine
Special Issue: Proceedings of The 2008 AEM Consensus Conference: The Science of Simulation in Healthcare: Defining and Developing Clinical Expertise Guest Editors:Amy Kaji, MD, PhD David C. Cone, MD
Volume 15, Issue 11, pages 1104–1112, November 2008
How to Cite
Fernandez, R., Kozlowski, S. W. J., Shapiro, M. J. and Salas, E. (2008), Toward a Definition of Teamwork in Emergency Medicine. Academic Emergency Medicine, 15: 1104–1112. doi: 10.1111/j.1553-2712.2008.00250.x
- Issue published online: 3 NOV 2008
- Article first published online: 1 OCT 2008
- Received July 8, 2008; revision received July 15, 2008; accepted July 17, 2008.
- 1Managing teams managing crises: principles of teamwork to improve patient safety in the emergency room and beyond. Theor Issues Ergon Sci. 2007; 8:381–94., , .
- 7Department of Defense Medical Team Training Programs: An Independent Case Study Analysis. (Prepared by the American Institutes for Research under Contract No. 282–98-0029, Task Order No. 54) AHRQ Publication No. 06-0001. Rockville, MD: Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality, 2006., , .
- 9Defining team competencies and establishing team training requirements. In: GuzzoR, SalasE (eds.). Team Effectiveness and Decision Making in Organizations. San Francisco, CA: Jossey-Bass, 1995, pp 333–80., , , .
- 10Medical teamwork and patient safety: the evidence-based relation. Rockville, MD: Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality, 2007., , .
- 11Why teams don’t work. In: TindaleRS, HeathL, EdwardsJ (eds.). Theory and Research on Small Groups. New York, NY: Plenum, 1998, pp 245–67..
- 12The design of work teams. In: LorschJW (ed.). Handbook of Organizational Behavior. Englewood Cliffs, NJ: Prentice Hall, 1987, pp 315–42..
- 13Work groups and teams in organizations. In: BormanWC, IlgenDR, KlimoskiRJ (eds.). Handbook of Psychology: Industrial and Organizational Psychology. Vol 12. Hoboken, NJ: John Wiley & Sons, 2003, pp 333–75., .
- 14Group performance and inter-group relations in organizations. In: DunnetteMD, HoughLM (eds.). Handbook of Industrial and Organizational Psychology. Palo Alto, CA: Consulting Psychologists Press, 1992, pp 269–313., .
- 15Toward an understanding of team performance and training. In: SwezeyRW, SalasE (eds.). Teams: Their Training and Performance. Norwood, NJ: Ablex, 1992, pp 3–29., , , .
- 17Groups: Interaction and Performance. Englewood Cliffs, NJ: Prentice-Hall, 1984..
- 18Developing adaptive teams: a theory of compilation and performance across levels and time. In: IlgenDR, PulakosED (eds.). The Changing Nature of Performance: Implications for Staffing, Motivation, and Performance. San Franscisco, CA: Jossey-Bass, 1999, pp 241–92., , , .
- 19A dynamic theory of leadership and team effectiveness: Developmental and task contingent leader roles. In: FerrisGR (ed.). Research in Personnel and Human Resource Management. Greenwich, CT: JAI Press, 1996, pp 253–305., , , , .
- 21A conceptual framework for teamwork measurement. In: BrannickMT, SalasE, PrinceC (eds.). Team Performance Assessment and Measurement: Theory, Methods, and Applications. Mahwah, NJ: Lawrence Erlbaum, 1997, pp 19–43., .
- 22Developing adaptive teams: a theory of dynamic team leadership. In: SalasE, GoodwinGF, BurkeCS (eds.). Team Effectiveness in Complex Organizations: Cross-disciplinary Perspectives and Approaches. Mahwah, NJ: Lawrence Erlbaum, 2009, pp 109–46., , , , .
- 25Enhancing the effectiveness of work groups and teams. Psychol Sci. 2006; 7:77–124., .
- 26Toward a taxonomy of team performance functions. In: SwezeyRW, SalasE (eds.). Teams: Their Training and Performance. Norwood, NJ: Ablex, 1992., .
- 28Work Redesign. Reading, MA: Addison-Wesley, 1980., .
- 34Task and aggregation issues in the analysis and assessment of team performance. In: BrannickMT, SalasE, PrinceC (eds.). Team Performance and Measurement: Theory, Methods, and Applications. Mahwah, NJ: Lawrence Erlbaum, 1997, pp 197–224., , , .
- 39Team leadership and development: theory, principles, and guidelines for training leaders and teams. In: BeyerleinMM, JohnsonDA, BeyerleinST (eds.). Advances in Interdisciplinary Studies of Work Teams: Team Leadership. Vol 3. New York, NY: Elsevier Science/JAI Press; 1996, pp 253–91., , , .
- 40Measuring and managing for team performance: emerging principles from complex environments. In: GuzzoRA, SalasE (eds.). Team Effectiveness and Decision Making in Organizations. San Francisco, CA: Jossey-Bass, 1995., .
- 41Time to create sound teamwork. J Qual Particip. 2001; 24:41–7..