Presented at the 2008 Academic Emergency Medicine Consensus Conference, “The Science of Simulation in Healthcare: Defining and Developing Clinical Expertise,” Washington, DC, May 28, 2008.
Does Team Training Work? Principles for Health Care
Version of Record online: 1 OCT 2008
© 2008 by the Society for Academic Emergency Medicine
Academic Emergency Medicine
Special Issue: Proceedings of The 2008 AEM Consensus Conference: The Science of Simulation in Healthcare: Defining and Developing Clinical Expertise Guest Editors:Amy Kaji, MD, PhD David C. Cone, MD
Volume 15, Issue 11, pages 1002–1009, November 2008
How to Cite
Salas, E., DiazGranados, D., Weaver, S. J. and King, H. (2008), Does Team Training Work? Principles for Health Care. Academic Emergency Medicine, 15: 1002–1009. doi: 10.1111/j.1553-2712.2008.00254.x
Disclaimer: All opinions expressed in this paper are those of the authors and do not necessarily reflect the official opinion or position of the University of Central Florida, or the Department of Defense.
- Issue online: 3 NOV 2008
- Version of Record online: 1 OCT 2008
- Received July 10, 2008; revision received July 22, 2008; accepted July 22, 2008.
- 1Joint Commission on Accreditation of Healthcare Organizations. Root causes for sentinel events, 2006. Available at: http://www.jointcommission.org/SentinelEvents/Statistics/. Accessed Aug 30, 2008.
- 2Outcome measures for effective teamwork in inpatient care (RAND technical report TR-462-AHRQ). Arlington, VA: RAND Corporation, 2008., , , .
- 7Toward an understanding of team performance and training. In: SwezeyRW, SalasE (eds). Teams: Their Training and Performance. Norwood, NJ: Ablex, 1992, pp 3–29., , , .
- 9Cooperation and teamwork at work. In: SpeilbergerCD (ed). Encyclopedia of Applied Psychology. San Diego, CA: Academic Press, 2004., , .
- 10Methods, tools, and strategies for team training. In: QuinonesMA, EhrensteinA (eds). Training for a rapidly changing workplace: Applications of psychological research. Washington, DC: APA, 1997, pp 249–80., .
- 11Feedback and team training: Exploring the issues. In: Proceedings of the 38th Annual Meeting Human Factors and Ergonomics Society. Nashville, TN, 1994, pp 1195–9., , .
- 12Teamwork competencies: The interaction of team member knowledge, skills, and attitudes. In: O’NielHF (ed). Workforce Readiness: Competencies and Assessment. Mahwah, NJ: Lawrence Erlbaum Associates, 1997, pp 151–74., .
- 13Team performance and training in complex environments: Recent findings from applied research. Curr Dir Psychol Sci. 1998; 7:83–7., .Direct Link:
- 14Organization Change and Development: A Systems View. Santa Monica, CA: Goodyear, 1980..
- 15The team-building workshop: A trainer’s guide. New York: AMACOM. 2001..
- 16Process consultation: Its role in organization development. Reading, MA: Addison-Wesley, 1969..
- 17Process consultation revisited: Building the helping relationship. Reading, MA: Addison-Wesley, 1999..
- 19Do team training interventions enhance valued team outcomes? A meta-analytic initiative. Paper Presented at the 23rd Annual Conference of the Society for Industrial and Organizational Psychology, San Francisco, CA, April 2008., , , et al.
- 20Does team building work? Paper presented at the 23rd Annual Conference of the Society for Industrial and Organizational Psychology, San Francisco, CA, April 2008., , , , , , .
- 21Content analysis: concepts, methods and applications. Nurse Res. 1997; 4:5–16..
- 24Simulation-based training for patient safety: 10 principles that matter. J Patient Saf. 2008; 4:3–8., , , et al.
- 25Practical guidelines to performance measurement in simulation-based training. Ergon Des. 2008; in press., , , , .
- 28Evaluation of training. In: CraigRL (ed). Training and Development Handbook (2nd ed.). New York, NY: McGraw-Hill, 1996..