The project was supported by an unrestricted grant from GlaxoSmithKline (Research Triangle Park, NC).
National Study of Emergency Department Visits for Acute Exacerbation of Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease, 1993–2005
Version of Record online: 27 OCT 2008
© 2008 by the Society for Academic Emergency Medicine
Academic Emergency Medicine
Volume 15, Issue 12, pages 1275–1283, December 2008
How to Cite
Tsai, C.-L., Sobrino, J. A. and Camargo Jr, C. A. (2008), National Study of Emergency Department Visits for Acute Exacerbation of Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease, 1993–2005. Academic Emergency Medicine, 15: 1275–1283. doi: 10.1111/j.1553-2712.2008.00284.x
Conflict of interest statement: Dr. Camargo has received financial support (research grants, consulting, lectures) in the past 5 years from Altana, AstraZeneca, Aventis, Aventis Pasteur, Boehringer Ingelheim, Dey, GlaxoSmithKline, MedImmune, Merck, Novartis, Pfizer, Respironics, and Schering Plough. The other authors have no conflicts of interest to disclose.
- Issue online: 3 DEC 2008
- Version of Record online: 27 OCT 2008
- Received July 8, 2008; revisions received August 25 and August 29, 2008; accepted August 30, 2008.
- 8Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease surveillance--United States, 1971–2000. MMWR Surveill Summ. 2002; 51:1–16., , , , .
- 9American Thoracic Society. Standards for the diagnosis and care of patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 1995; 152(5 Pt 2):S77–121.
- 18Plan and operation of the National Hospital Ambulatory Medical Survey. Vital Health Stat. 1994; 34:1–78., .
- 19National Hospital Ambulatory Medical Care Survey: 2005 emergency department summary. Adv Data. 2007; (386):1–32., , .
- 20Department of Health and Human Services. The international classification of diseases, 9th rev., clinical modification: ICD-9-CM. 5th ed. Vol.1. Washington, DC: Government Printing Office, 1994.
- 21United States Bureau of the Census. Homepage. Available at: http://www.census.gov. Accessed Jun 18, 2008.
- 23US Food and Drug Administration. National Drug Code Directory, 1995 Edition. Washington, DC: Public Health Service, 1995.
- 24Global Initiative for Chronic Obstructive Lung Disease (GOLD). NHLBI/WHO Global Strategy for the Diagnosis, Management and Prevention of COPD. Available from: http://www.goldcopd.org. Accessed Sep 11, 2008.
- 25National Committee on Quality Assurance. The Health Care Effectiveness Data and Information Sets (HEDIS), 2008 Quality Measures for Pharmacotherapy of COPD Exacerbation. Available at: http://www.ncqa.org/Portals/0/HEDISQM/HEDIS2008/2008_Measures.pdf. Accessed Jun 18, 2008.
- 30Institute of Medicine. Committee on the Future of Emergency Care in the US Health System. The future of emergency care in the United States health system. Washington, DC: National Academy Press, 2006.
- 33Controlled trial of oral prednisone in outpatients with acute COPD exacerbation. Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 1996; 1:407–12., , , , .
- 37Institute of Medicine. Committee on Quality of Health Care in America. Crossing the quality chasm: a new health system for the 21st century. Washington, DC: National Academy Press, 2001.