Presented at the Society for Academic Emergency Medicine (SAEM) Annual Meeting, Washington, DC, May 30, 2008.
The Effect of Emergency Department Crowding on Clinically Oriented Outcomes
Article first published online: 10 NOV 2008
© 2008 by the Society for Academic Emergency Medicine
Academic Emergency Medicine
Volume 16, Issue 1, pages 1–10, January 2009
How to Cite
Bernstein, S. L., Aronsky, D., Duseja, R., Epstein, S., Handel, D., Hwang, U., McCarthy, M., John McConnell, K., Pines, J. M., Rathlev, N., Schafermeyer, R., Zwemer, F., Schull, M., Asplin, B. R. and Society for Academic Emergency Medicine, Emergency Department Crowding Task Force (2009), The Effect of Emergency Department Crowding on Clinically Oriented Outcomes. Academic Emergency Medicine, 16: 1–10. doi: 10.1111/j.1553-2712.2008.00295.x
Approved by the SAEM Board of Directors, July 9, 2008.
- Issue published online: 29 DEC 2008
- Article first published online: 10 NOV 2008
- Received July 16, 2008; revision received September 20, 2008; accepted September 22, 2008.
- 5Government Accountability Office. Hospital Emergency Departments: Crowded Conditions Vary among Hospitals and Communities. Washington, DC: General Accounting Office, 2003.
- 6Institute of Medicine. Hospital-Based Emergency Care: At the Breaking Point. Washington, DC: National Academies Press, 2006.
- 7Institute of Medicine. Crossing the Quality Chasm: A New Health System for the 21st Century. Washington, DC: National Academy Press, 2001.
- 23Managing capacity to reduce emergency department overcrowding and ambulance diversion. Jt Comm J Qual Pat Saf. 2006; 32:239–45., , , et al.
- 27Association between ED crowding and inpatient length of stay [abstract]. Acad Emerg Med. 2008; 15:S201., , , et al.
- 29Characteristics of emergency departments serving high volumes of safety-net patients: United States, 2000. National Center for Health Statistics. Vital Healt Stat 2004; 13., .
- 33Lack of association between ED crowding and bounceback admissions [abstract]. Acad Emerg Med. 2008; 15:S220., , , et al.
- 36The Lewin Group. Emergency department overload: a growing crisis. The results of the American Hospital Association Survey of Emergency Department (ED) and Hospital Capacity. Falls Church, VA: American Hospital Association, 2002.
- 38The Joint Commission. Sentinel event alert, June 17, 2002. Available at: http://www.jointcommission.org/SentinelEvents/SentinelEventAlert/sea_26.htm. Accessed Feb 11, 2007.
- 39Frequency of adverse events and errors among patients boarding in the emergency department. Acad Emerg Med. 2005; 12:49b–50b., , , .
- 40Joint Commission. The Joint Commission for the Accreditation of Healthcare Organizations Specification Manual. Available at: http://www.jointcommission.org/PerformanceMeasurement/PerformanceMeasurement/Current+NHQM+Manual.htm. Accessed Nov 8, 2007.
- 42The association of ED crowding factors with quality of pain management [abstract]. Acad Emerg Med. 2007; 14:s54., , , , .
- 55Study: Clogged Trauma Care Leads to Deaths. Houston Chronicle. Houston, TX, 2002:A27..
- 60Reducing waiting time in emergency department triage. Nur Manag. 1995; 26:64Q, 64T, 64V..
- 63Evaluation of a fast track unit: alignment of resources and demand results in improved satisfaction and decreased length of stay for emergency department patients. Qual Manag Health Care. 2006; 15:163–70., , .
- 69U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. National Bioterrorism Hospital Preparedness Program. Available at: http://www.hhs.gov/aspr/opeo/hpp/. Accessed Mar 14, 2008.
- 70American Hospital Association. The state of America’s hospitals: taking the pulse. Available at: http://www.aha.org/aha/content/2007/PowerPoint/StateofHospitalsChartPack2007.ppt. Accessed Mar 17, 2008.
- 72Staffing, capacity, and ambulance diversion in emergency departments: United States, 2003–04. Advance Data. no. 376. Hyattsville, MD: National Center for Health Statistics, 2006., .
- 73Perfecting Patient Flow: America’s Safety Net Hospitals and Emergency Department Crowding. Washington, DC: National Association of Public Hospitals, 2005., , .
- 74Bursting at the Seams: Improving Patient Flow to Help America’s Emergency Departments. Washington, DC: Urgent Matters/George Washington University Medical Center, 2004., .
- 80National Quality Forum. National Voluntary Consensus Standards for Emergency Care. Available at: http://www.qualityforum.org/projects/ongoing/emergency/. Accessed Sep 10, 2008.
- 82National Hospital Ambulatory Medical Care Survey: 2006 Emergency Department Summary. National Health Statistics Reports; No. 7. Hyattsville, MD: National Center for Health Statistics, 2008., , , .