Presented at the Canadian Association of Emergency Physicians conference, Calgary, Alberta, Canada, June 7–10, 2009.
Intimate Partner Violence: Development of a Brief Risk Assessment for the Emergency Department
Article first published online: 4 NOV 2009
© 2009 by the Society for Academic Emergency Medicine
Academic Emergency Medicine
Volume 16, Issue 11, pages 1208–1216, November 2009
How to Cite
Snider, C., Webster, D., O’Sullivan, C. S. and Campbell, J. (2009), Intimate Partner Violence: Development of a Brief Risk Assessment for the Emergency Department. Academic Emergency Medicine, 16: 1208–1216. doi: 10.1111/j.1553-2712.2009.00457.x
The data were obtained from the publically available intimate partner violence Risk Assessment Validation Evaluation (RAVE) study. The RAVE study was supported by a grant from the U.S. Department of Justice (Grant 2000-WT-VX-0011, NCJ# 209731). The amount of support was $1,323,241. Dates of support 2000–2005 (final PubMed l report published in 2005).
- Issue published online: 4 NOV 2009
- Article first published online: 4 NOV 2009
- Received January 13, 2009; revision received March 15, 2009; accepted March 16, 2009.
- 1Adverse health conditions and health risk behaviors associated with intimate partner violence -- United States, 2005. MMWR. 2008; 57:113–7., .
- 2Extent, Nature, and Consequences of Intimate Partner Violence: Findings from the National Violence Against Women Survey. Washington, DC: U.S. Department of Justice, 2000. Available at http://www.ncjrs.gov/pdffiles1/nij/181867.pdf. Accessed April 23, 2009., .
- 9Violence by Intimates: analysis of data on crimes by current or former spouses, boyfriends, and girlfriends. Washington, DC: US Department of Justice; 1998. Available at: http://www.ojp.usdoj.gov/bjs/pub/pdf/vi.pdf. Accessed Apr 9, 2009., , , et al.
- 11Intimate Partner Violence Risk Assessment Validation Study, Final Report. Washington, DC: U.S. Department of Justice, 2005., , , .
- 14Assessing Dangerousness: Violence by Batterers and Child Abusers. New York, NY: Springer, 2007..
- 18Crossval. A Macro for Stata (updated February 12, 2000, by James Tonascia). College Station, TX: StataCorp, 2000. Available at: http://www.biostat.jhsph.edu/~ejohnson/regression/crossval.ado. Accessed Jun 2009..
- 19What happens when health care providers ask about intimate partner violence? A description of consequences from the perspectives of female survivors. J Am Med Womens Assoc. 2003; 58:76–81., , , , , .
- 24Risk of repeat and severe partner abuse: can we predict? Can we protect? Paper presented at the World Family Violence Conference; Banff, AB; October 23–27, 2005., , , et al.
- 28The effects of arrest on intimate partner violence: new evidence from the spouse assault replication program. Washington, DC: U.S. Department of Justice, July 2001., , .
- 29What battered women know and do to protect themselves from abuse: results and methodological challenges from the domestic violence risk assessment validation experiment. Paper presented at the 9th International Family Violence Research Conference; Portsmouth, NH; July 10–13, 2005., , , et al.
- 33Feasibility of an automated telephone survey to enable prospective monitoring of subjects whose confidentiality is paramount: a four-week cohort study of partner violence recurrence after emergency department discharge [abstract]. Epidemiol Perspect Innov. 2008; 7:1., , , , .