Presented at the Society for Academic Emergency Medicine annual meeting, Washington, DC, May 2007.
Routine Screening for Asymptomatic Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm in High-risk Patients Is Not Recommended in Emergency Departments That Are Frequently Crowded
Article first published online: 4 NOV 2009
© 2009 by the Society for Academic Emergency Medicine
Academic Emergency Medicine
Volume 16, Issue 11, pages 1242–1250, November 2009
How to Cite
Hoffmann, B., Um, P., Bessman, E. S., Ding, R., Kelen, G. D. and McCarthy, M. L. (2009), Routine Screening for Asymptomatic Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm in High-risk Patients Is Not Recommended in Emergency Departments That Are Frequently Crowded. Academic Emergency Medicine, 16: 1242–1250. doi: 10.1111/j.1553-2712.2009.00502.x
- Issue published online: 4 NOV 2009
- Article first published online: 4 NOV 2009
- Received March 2, 2009; revision received May 19, 2009; accepted May 31, 2009.
- 4Western Australian randomized controlled trial of screening for abdominal aortic aneurysm [abstract]. Br J Surg. 2003; 90:492., , , .
- 13Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. National Center for Health Statistics. Health Data Interactive. Available at: http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/hdi.htm. Accessed Mar 1, 2009.
- 19American Medical Association (eds). Medicare Resource-Based Relative Value Scale 2009: The Physician’s Guide. Chicago, IL: American Medical Association, 2009.
- 21Library of Congress. Screening Abdominal Aortic Aneurysms Very Efficiently (SAAAVE) Act, a provision of S.1932, Deficit Reduction Act of 2005, also known as Budget Reconciliation. The law became effective January 1, 2007.
- 25Preventive care in the emergency department, Part I: Clinical preventive services--are they relevant to emergency medicine? Society for Academic Emergency Medicine Public Health and Education Task Force Preventive Services Work Group. Acad Emerg Med. 2000; 7:1036–41., , .
- 26American College of Emergency Physicians. ACEP emergency ultrasound guidelines-2008. Policy statement. American College of Emergency Physicians Web site. Available at: http://www.acep.org/workarea/showcontent.aspx?id=32878. Accessed Feb 20, 2009.
- 32Screening ultrasonography for abdominal aortic aneurysm reduced mortality in older men and was cost-effective in the long term [commentary]. ACP J Club. 2007; 147:57..
- 34Institute of Medicine. Committee on the Future of Emergency Care in the United States Health System. Hospital-based Emergency Care: At the Breaking Point. 1st ed. Washington, DC: The National Academies Press, 2006.