The work was performed at Virginia Commonwealth University.
Current Practice, Demographics, and Trends of Critical Care Trained Emergency Physicians in the United States
Article first published online: 1 MAR 2010
© 2010 by the Society for Academic Emergency Medicine
Academic Emergency Medicine
Volume 17, Issue 3, pages 325–329, March 2010
How to Cite
Mayglothling, J. A., Gunnerson, K. J. and Huang, D. T. (2010), Current Practice, Demographics, and Trends of Critical Care Trained Emergency Physicians in the United States. Academic Emergency Medicine, 17: 325–329. doi: 10.1111/j.1553-2712.2010.00683.x
Editor’s Note: Subsequent to the submission of this manuscript, the American Board of Emergency Medicine (ABEM) reached an agreement with the American Board of Internal Medicine to develop an application to the American Board of Medical Specialties (ABMS) to become a co-sponsor in IM Critical Care Medicine. Upon ABMS approval of the application, emergency medicine residents will have access to training in 2-year internal medicine critical care fellowship programs upon completion of their emergency medicine residencies. Following successful completion of the fellowship, they will be able to become certified in Internal Medicine Critical Care Medicine through ABEM. Additional information will be provided on the ABEM Web site (http://www.abem.org) as it becomes available.
- Issue published online: 1 MAR 2010
- Article first published online: 1 MAR 2010
- Received July 8, 2009; revision received September 2, 2009; accepted October 2, 2009.
- 6Emergency medicine residents’ access to critical care fellowships [abstract]. Crit Care Med. 2003; 12(Suppl):A27., , , et al.
- 7Intensive care unit physician staffing: the Leapfrog initiative. Eff Clin Prac. 2003; 3:313–6., , , et al.
- 8The hard count: calculating lives saved in the 100 000 Lives Campaign. ACP Guide Hospitalists. 2006; Apr: 1–5., , , , .
- 9The Leapfrog Group’s Patient Safety Practices, 2003: The Potential Benefits of Universal Adoption. Available at: http://www.leapfroggroup.org/media/file/Leapfrog-Birkmeyer.pdf. Accessed Dec 2, 2009., .
- 13European Diploma in Intensive Care (EDIC). Available at: http://www.esicm.org/Data/ModuleGestionDeContenu/PagesGenerees/03-education/0A-european-diploma/11.asp. Accessed Dec 2, 2009.