This work was primarily funded by a grant from the Brookdale Foundation, through the Brookdale Leadership in Aging Fellowship. The authors thank them for their generous support and advocacy for geriatric care. Additional support was provided by the American Medical Association through underwriting the conference calls, consensus conference, and support of the Mount Sinai School of Medicine and the Portal of Geriatric Online Education.
Development of Geriatric Competencies for Emergency Medicine Residents Using an Expert Consensus Process
Version of Record online: 1 MAR 2010
© 2010 by the Society for Academic Emergency Medicine
Academic Emergency Medicine
Volume 17, Issue 3, pages 316–324, March 2010
How to Cite
Hogan, T. M., Losman, E. D., Carpenter, C. R., Sauvigne, K., Irmiter, C., Emanuel, L. and Leipzig, R. M. (2010), Development of Geriatric Competencies for Emergency Medicine Residents Using an Expert Consensus Process. Academic Emergency Medicine, 17: 316–324. doi: 10.1111/j.1553-2712.2010.00684.x
- Issue online: 1 MAR 2010
- Version of Record online: 1 MAR 2010
- Received September 2, 2009; revision received October 22, 2009; accepted October 24, 2009.
- 1National Hospital Ambulatory Medical Care Survey: 2006 Emergency Department Summary. Available at: http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/nhsr/nhsr007.pdf. Accessed Dec 2, 2009., , , .
- 4Short-term outcomes of elderly patients discharged from an emergency department. J Am Geriatr Soc. 1989; 37:939–43., , , , .
- 18Institute of Medicine Committee on the Future of Emergency Care in the U.S. Health System. Emergency Medical Services at the Crossroads. Washington, DC: National Academies Press, 2006.
- 21Institute of Medicine Committee on the Future Health Care Workforce for Older Americans. Retooling for an Aging America: Building the Health Care Workforce. Washington, DC: The National Academies Press, 2008.
- 22The Future of Geriatric Care in Our Nation’s Emergency Departments: Impact and Implications. Dallas, TX: American College of Emergency Physicians, 2008..
- 25Thematic Analysis and Code Development: Transforming Qualitative Information. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage Publications, 1998..
- 26Snowball sampling. Ann Math Stat. 1961; 32:148–70..
- 27Content analysis. In: LindseyG, AronsonE, eds. Handbook of Social Psychology. Reading, MA: Addison-Wesley, 1968..
- 28Managerial Competence: The Key to Excellence. Dubuque, IA: Kendall/Hunt, 1992..
- 31Designing Qualitative Research, 3rd ed. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage Publications, 1999., .
- 34Research Design for Social Work and the Human Services. New York, NY: Lexington Books, 1994., .
- 392007 Model of the Clinical Practice of Emergency Medicine from the American College of Emergency Physicians and Society for Academic Emergency Medicine and American Board of Emergency Medicine. Available at: https://www.abem.org/public/_Rainbow/Documents/2007%20EM%20Model.pdf. Accessed Dec 2, 2009., , , et al.