Presented at the Sickle Cell Disease Association of America meeting, New Orleans, LA, September 2008; American College of Emergency Physicians meeting, Chicago, IL, October 2008; and the American Pain Society, San Diego, CA, May 2009.
Adult Emergency Department Patients with Sickle Cell Pain Crisis: A Learning Collaborative Model to Improve Analgesic Management
Version of Record online: 2 APR 2010
© 2010 by the Society for Academic Emergency Medicine
Academic Emergency Medicine
Volume 17, Issue 4, pages 399–407, April 2010
How to Cite
Tanabe, P., Artz, N., Mark Courtney, D., Martinovich, Z., Weiss, K. B., Zvirbulis, E. and Hafner, J. W. (2010), Adult Emergency Department Patients with Sickle Cell Pain Crisis: A Learning Collaborative Model to Improve Analgesic Management. Academic Emergency Medicine, 17: 399–407. doi: 10.1111/j.1553-2712.2010.00693.x
This project was supported by a research grant from the Mayday Fund. Dr. Tanabe also received support from the NIH, K23NR010940.
- Issue online: 2 APR 2010
- Version of Record online: 2 APR 2010
- Received July 15, 2009; revisions received September 1 and September 22, 2009; accepted September 22, 2009.
- 1National Institute of Health, National Heart Lung and Blood Institute. Sickle Cell Anemia: Who Is at Risk? Available at: http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/dci/Diseases/Sca/SCA_WhoIsAtRisk.htm. Accessed Dec 20, 2009.
- 3National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute: Division of Blood Diseases and Resources. The Management of Sickle Cell Disease. 4th ed. Available at: http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/prof/blood/sickle/sc_mngt.pdf. Accessed Dec 20, 2009.
- 6Institute for Healthcare Improvement. The Breakthrough Series: IHI’s Collaborative Model for Achieving Breakthrough Improvement. IHI Innovation Series white paper. Boston, MA: Institute for Healthcare Improvement, 2003.
- 8Emergency Severity Index, Version 4: Implementation Handbook. Rockville, MD: Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality, 2005., , , , .
- 17Guideline for the Management of Acute Pain in Sickle-Cell Disease, Quick Reference Guide for Emergency Department Clinicians. Glenview, IL: American Pain Society, 2001., , , et al.
- 18The Institute of Medicine. The Future of Emergency Care in the United States Health System. Washington, DC: National Academies Press, 2006.
- 19American Pain Society. Principles of Analgesic Use in the Treatment of Acute Pain and Cancer Pain. Glenview, IL: American Pain Society, 2008.