This study was funded by a grant from the Canadian Institutes for Health Research (CIHR; 200810KRS). Dr. Schull is supported by the CIHR as an Applied Chair in Health Services and Policy Research (Ottawa, ON). Dr. Rowe is supported by the 21st Century Canada Research Chairs program through the Government of Canada (Ottawa, ON).
The Role of Triage Liaison Physicians on Mitigating Overcrowding in Emergency Departments: A Systematic Review
Version of Record online: 11 FEB 2011
© 2011 by the Society for Academic Emergency Medicine
Academic Emergency Medicine
Volume 18, Issue 2, pages 111–120, February 2011
How to Cite
Rowe, B. H., Guo, X., Villa-Roel, C., Schull, M., Holroyd, B., Bullard, M., Vandermeer, B., Ospina, M. and Innes, G. (2011), The Role of Triage Liaison Physicians on Mitigating Overcrowding in Emergency Departments: A Systematic Review. Academic Emergency Medicine, 18: 111–120. doi: 10.1111/j.1553-2712.2010.00984.x
Presented at the Canadian Association of Emergency Physicians annual scientific meeting, Montreal, Quebec, Canada, May 29–June 2, 2010.
Supervising Editor: Alan Jones, MD.
- Issue online: 11 FEB 2011
- Version of Record online: 11 FEB 2011
- Received May 14, 2010; revision received July 23, 2010; accepted July 25, 2010.
- 2Interventions to Reduce Overcrowding in Emergency Departments. Ottawa, ON: Canadian Agency for Drugs and Technologies in Health, 2006., , , et al.
- 8The Cochrane Collaboration Handbook. Oxford, UK: Cochrane Collaboration, 1994., .
- 10Evaluating non-randomised intervention studies. Health Technol Assess. 2003; 7:iii–x, 1–173., , , et al.
- 19Avoiding prolonged waiting time during busy periods in the emergency department: is there a role for the senior emergency physician in triage? Eur J Emerg Med. 2006; 13:342–8., .
- 26California Emergency Physicians Rapid Medical Evaluation Partners. Rapid Medical Evaluation Program: Best Practice Success Stories. Case Study 1: Hospital A. 2006.
- 27California Emergency Physicians Rapid Medical Evaluation Partners. RME Case Studies: Madera Hospital, 2009. Available at: http://www.cep.com/hospital_leaders/madera_hospital_case_study.asp. Accessed Nov 2, 2010.
- 28California Emergency Physicians Rapid Medical Evaluation Partners. RME Case Studies: St Bernardine Medical Center, 2009. Available at: http://www.cep.com/hospital_leaders/st_bernardine_case_study.asp. Accessed Nov 2, 2010.
- 29The effect of physician triage on elopement rates, throughput, and patient satisfaction [abstract]. Acad Emerg Med. 2004; 11:464., , , , .
- 30Implementation of an emergency department physician triage system decreases patient wait times and “left without being seen” rates [abstract]. Acad Emerg Med. 2009; 16(4 Suppl 1):S204., , , , .
- 31Physician in triage improves patient treatment times over nurse-initiated protocols for all acuity levels [abstract]. Acad Emerg Med. 2009; 16(4 Suppl 1):S271., , , .
- 32Effect of a triage doctor on length of stay in a crowded urban emergency department [abstract]. Acad Emerg Med. 2009; 16(4 Suppl 1):S272., .
- 33When is a physician in triage a financially viable option? [abstract]. Acad Emerg Med. 2009; 16(4 Suppl 1):S272., , , , , .
- 34Resident triage--impact on patient satisfaction [abstract]. Acad Emerg Med. 2009; 16(4 Suppl 1):S272., , , , , .
- 35A mid-level provider after triage to reduce patients who left without being seen [abstract]. Acad Emerg Med. 2007; 14(5 Suppl 1):S209., , , et al.
- 36Institute for health care improvement impact collaborative: team triage and treatment in the emergency department [abstract]. Acad Emerg Med. 2006; 13(5 Suppl 1):S129., , .
- 38Does having an emergency physician at triage for a 4-hour shift reduce ED length of stay? [abstract]. CJEM. 2009; 11:272., , .
- 39Senior medical presence at triage improves service time in emergency departments [abstract]. Emerg Med Australas. 2009; 21(Suppl 1):A26., , , , .