Presented at the Society for Academic Emergency Medicine annual meeting, Phoenix, AZ, June 2010.
Hospital-reported Data on the Pneumonia Quality Measure “Time to First Antibiotic Dose” Are Not Associated With Inpatient Mortality: Results of a Nationwide Cross-sectional Analysis
Article first published online: 5 MAY 2011
© 2011 by the Society for Academic Emergency Medicine
Academic Emergency Medicine
Volume 18, Issue 5, pages 496–503, May 2011
How to Cite
Quattromani, E., Powell, E. S., Khare, R. K., Cheema, N., Sauser, K., Periyanayagam, U., Pirotte, M. J., Feinglass, J. and Mark Courtney, D. (2011), Hospital-reported Data on the Pneumonia Quality Measure “Time to First Antibiotic Dose” Are Not Associated With Inpatient Mortality: Results of a Nationwide Cross-sectional Analysis. Academic Emergency Medicine, 18: 496–503. doi: 10.1111/j.1553-2712.2011.01053.x
Dr. Powell and Dr. Khare are supported by a National Research Service Award postdoctoral fellowship grant through the Institute for Healthcare Studies at Northwestern University under institutional awards from AHRQ (T-32 HS 000078 and F-32 HS 17876-01). Dr. Courtney was supported by grant 5K23HL077404-04 from the National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute.
The authors have no relevant financial information or potential conflicts of interest to disclose.
Supervising Editor: Christopher R. Carpenter, MD.
- Issue published online: 13 MAY 2011
- Article first published online: 5 MAY 2011
- Received September 7, 2010; revisions received October 21 and November 14, 2010; accepted November 19, 2010.
- 1Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. FastStats: Death and Mortality. Available at http://cdc.gov/nchs/fastats/deaths.htm. Accessed Mar 3, 2011.
- 2Deaths: final data for 2006. Natl Vital Stat Rep. 2009; 57:1–134., , , et al.
- 4Improving Treatment Decisions for Patients with Community-Acquired Pneumonia. Available at: http://www.ahrq.gov/clinic/pneumonia/pneumonria.htm. Accessed Mar 3, 2011..
- 5National Hospital Ambulatory Medical Care Survey: 2006 emergency department summary. Natl Health Stat Report. 2008:1–38., , , .
- 6U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. Hospital Compare Home. Available at: http://www.hospitalcompare.hhs.gov/. Accessed Mar 3, 2011.
- 7The Joint Commission. Performance Measure Initiatives: Pneumonia Core Measure Set. Available at: http://www.jointcommission.org/assets/1/6/Pneumonia.pdf. Accessed Mar 3, 2011.
- 26Comparison of different comorbidity measures for use with administrative data in predicting short- and long-term mortality. BMC Health Serv Res. 2010; 10:e140., , .
- 39Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. ICD-9-CM Official Guidelines for Coding and Reporting. Available at: http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/icd9/icdguide09.pdf. Accessed Mar 2, 2011.