A list of The Second Performance Measures and Benchmarking Summit attendees is available in Table 1. (Listing does not imply endorsement of this document, but shows the diversity of representation at the summit.)
Emergency Department Operations Dictionary: Results of the Second Performance Measures and Benchmarking Summit
Article first published online: 5 MAY 2011
© 2011 by the Society for Academic Emergency Medicine
Academic Emergency Medicine
Volume 18, Issue 5, pages 539–544, May 2011
How to Cite
Welch, S. J., Stone-Griffith, S., Asplin, B., Davidson, S. J., Augustine, J., Schuur, J. D. and on behalf of The Second Performance Measures and Benchmarking Summit and the Emergency Department Benchmarking Alliance (2011), Emergency Department Operations Dictionary: Results of the Second Performance Measures and Benchmarking Summit. Academic Emergency Medicine, 18: 539–544. doi: 10.1111/j.1553-2712.2011.01062.x
Information on the Emergency Department Benchmarking Alliance can be found at EDBenchmarking.org.
The summit was sponsored by the Emergency Department Benchmarking Alliance.
The authors have no relevant financial information or potential conflicts of interest to disclose.
Supervising Editor: Manish Shah, MD.
- Issue published online: 13 MAY 2011
- Article first published online: 5 MAY 2011
- Received October 28, 2010; revision received November 9, 2010; accepted November 22, 2010.
- 1Specifications Manual for Joint Commission National Quality Measures. Available at: http://manual.jointcommission.org/releases/TJC2010B/TableOfContentsTJC.html. Accessed Apr 12, 2011.
- 2Joint Commission. A Comprehensive Review of Development and Testing for National Implementation of Hospital Core Measures. Available at: http://www.jointcommission.org/assets/1/18/A_Comprehensive_Review_of_Development_for_Core_Measures.pdf. Accessed Feb 28, 2011.
- 3Joint Commission. 2009 Comprehensive Accreditation Manual for Hospitals: The Official Handbook. Oakbrook Terrace, IL: Joint Commission, 2008.
- 9Managing patient waits in hospital emergency departments. Health Care Manag. 2002; 21:46–61., .
- 10Quality matters. ED redesign: zones operate like mini-EDs. Emerg Med News. 2008; 30:4..
- 17Predicting patient volume per hour [abstract]. Ann Emerg Med. 2005; 46:S6–7., , , et al.
- 18Nurse staffing levels affect the number of emergency department patients who leave without treatment [abstract]. Acad Emerg Med. 2004; 11:459–60., , .
- 19Census, acuity, and ED operations by time of day at a level one trauma and tertiary care center. Jt Comm J Qual Patient Saf. 2007; 33:247–255., , .
- 20Leadership for Smooth Patient Flow. ACHE Management Series. Chicago, IL: Health Administration Press, 2007., , , .
- 25Canadian Emergency Department Triage and Acuity Scale: implementation guidelines. Can J Emerg Med. 1999; 1(3 suppl):S2–28., , , et al.
- 35Strategies to improve emergency department intake. J Emerg Med. 2011; in press.,