Presented at the American College of Emergency Physicians Scientific Assembly, Boston, MA, October 2009.
Original Research Contribution
An Empirical Assessment of Boarding and Quality of Care: Delays in Care Among Chest Pain, Pneumonia, and Cellulitis Patients
Version of Record online: 21 JUN 2011
© 2011 by the Society for Academic Emergency Medicine
Academic Emergency Medicine
Special Issue: Proceedings of the 2011 AEM Consenus Conference: Interventions to Assure Quality in the Crowded Emergency Department Guest Editors: James R. Miner, MD Manish N. Shah, MD, MPH
Volume 18, Issue 12, pages 1339–1348, December 2011
How to Cite
Liu, S. W., Chang, Y., Weissman, J. S., Griffey, R. T., Thomas, J., Nergui, S., Hamedani, A. G., Camargo, C. A. and Singer, S. (2011), An Empirical Assessment of Boarding and Quality of Care: Delays in Care Among Chest Pain, Pneumonia, and Cellulitis Patients. Academic Emergency Medicine, 18: 1339–1348. doi: 10.1111/j.1553-2712.2011.01082.x
Funded by the Eleanor and Miles Shore Fellowship and the Risk Management Foundation.
The authors have no potential conflicts of interest to disclose.
Supervising Editor: Lowell W. Gerson, PhD.
- Issue online: 13 DEC 2011
- Version of Record online: 21 JUN 2011
- Received November 10, 2010; revision received January 4, 2011; accepted January 6, 2011.
- 1To Err Is Human: Building a Safer Health System. Washington, DC: National Academies Press, 2000., , .
- 6United States. General Accounting Office. United States Congress, Senate. Committee on Finance. Hospital Emergency Departments Crowded Conditions Vary Among Hospitals and Communities. Available at: http://purl.access.gpo.gov/GPO/LPS32265. Accessed Jan 22, 2011.
- 8The Joint Commission. New Leadership Standard on Managing Patient Flow for Hospitals. Available at: http://www.ed-qual.com/emergency_medicine_news/JCAHO_Patient_Flow_Standard.htm. Accessed Jan 22, 2011.
- 9Institute of Medicine. Hospital-based Emergency Care at the Breaking Point. Washington, DC: National Academies Press, 2006.
- 12Prolonged emergency department stays of non-ST-segment-elevation myocardial infarction patients are associated with worse adherence to the American College of Cardiology/American Heart Association guidelines for management and increased adverse events. Ann Emerg Med. 2007; 50:489–96., , , et al.
- 26An emergency department protocol for the management of cellulitis: a CQI pilot project. Israeli J Emerg Med. 2005; 5:43–54., , , , .
- 29The emergency department performance measures and benchmarking summit. EM News. 2006; 28:24–5..
- 40Ahrens W, Pigeot I (eds). Handbook of Epidemiology. Berlin: Springer, 2005.