Presented at the 2008 Society for Academic Emergency Medicine annual meeting, Washington, DC, May 29–June 1, 2008.
A Randomized Trial of a Multicomponent Cessation Strategy for Emergency Department Smokers
Article first published online: 15 JUN 2011
© 2011 by the Society for Academic Emergency Medicine
Academic Emergency Medicine
Volume 18, Issue 6, pages 575–583, June 2011
How to Cite
Bernstein, S. L., Bijur, P., Cooperman, N., Jearld, S., Arnsten, J. H., Moadel, A. and John Gallagher, E. (2011), A Randomized Trial of a Multicomponent Cessation Strategy for Emergency Department Smokers. Academic Emergency Medicine, 18: 575–583. doi: 10.1111/j.1553-2712.2011.01097.x
Supported by Grant R21DA017812 from the National Institute on Drug Abuse. ClinicalTrials.gov number NCT00297466.
Dr. Steven L. Bernstein has served as an expert witness for the plaintiff in litigation against the tobacco companies.
Supervising Editor: Rebecca M. Cunningham, MD.
A related commentary appears on page 635.
- Issue published online: 15 JUN 2011
- Article first published online: 15 JUN 2011
- Received August 16, 2010; revision received December 20, 2010; accepted January 16, 2011.
- 1Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Cigarette smoking among adults--United States, 2007. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2008; 57:1221–6.
- 2Ending the Tobacco Problem: A Blueprint for the Nation. Washington, DC: National Academies Press, 2007., , .
- 3Treating Tobacco Use and Dependence: 2008 Update. Rockville, MD: US Department of Health and Human Services, 2008., , , et al.
- 15Substance Abuse Health and Services Administration. Screening, Brief Intervention, Referral, and Treatment (SBIRT). Available at: http://www.samhsa.gov/prevention/SBIRT/index.aspx. Accessed Apr 3, 2011.
- 19Motivational Interviewing: Preparing People for Change. 2nd ed. New York, NY: Guilford Press, 2002., .
- 25U.S. Department of Health & Human Services. You Can Quit Smoking. Consumer Version. Available at: http://www.ahrq.gov/consumer/tobacco/card.htm. Accessed Apr 3, 2011.
- 26U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. Datos y consejos para dejar de fumar. Public Health Service. Washington, DC: National Institutes of Health. Report No.: 94-3405 (S), 1994.
- 27Pathways to Freedom: Winning the Fight Against Tobacco. Philadelphia, PA: Fox Chase Cancer Center, 1992., , , .
- 28No Lo Deje Para Manana, Deje de Fumar Hoy: Guia Para Dejar de Fumar. Washington, DC: National Cancer Institute, 2002..
- 34Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Behavioral Risk Factor Surveillance System. Prevalence and Trends Data, New York, 2000. Available at: http://apps.nccd.cdc.gov/brfss/page.asp?yr=2000&state=NY&cat=TU#TU. Accessed Apr 3, 2011.
- 36U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. Reducing the health consequences of smoking: 25 years of progress: a report of the Surgeon General. Publication No. 89-8411. Rockville, MD: Public Health Service, Office on Smoking and Health, 1989.
- 38Treating Tobacco Use and Dependence. Clinical Practice Guideline. Rockville, MD: U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. Public Health Service, 2000., , , et al.
- 40Utilization and effectiveness of an emergency department initiated smoking cessation program [abstract]. Acad Emerg Med. 2000; 7:1166., .
- 42GlanzK, RimerBK, LewisFM (eds). Health Behavior and Health Education: Theory, Research, and Practice. San Francisco, CA: John Wiley & Sons, 2002.
- 47National Hospital Ambulatory Medical Care Survey: 2006 emergency department summary. Natl Health Stat Rep. 2008; (7):1–38., , , .