Dr. Carpenter was supported by an institutional KM1 Comparative Effectiveness Award (1KM1CA156708-01). Dr. Schuur is a member of the Primary Care and Emergency Medicine Scientific Advisory Board for United Health Care (UHC). He advises UHC on emergency medicine practice. He is supported by a Jahnigen Career development award from the American Geriatrics Society and the Atlantic Philanthropies. He receives grant funding from the Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality and for unrelated work. The authors have no conflicts of interest to declare.
Evidence-based Diagnostics: Adult Septic Arthritis
Article first published online: 15 AUG 2011
© 2011 by the Society for Academic Emergency Medicine
Academic Emergency Medicine
Volume 18, Issue 8, pages 781–796, August 2011
How to Cite
Carpenter, C. R., Schuur, J. D., Everett, W. W. and Pines, J. M. (2011), Evidence-based Diagnostics: Adult Septic Arthritis. Academic Emergency Medicine, 18: 781–796. doi: 10.1111/j.1553-2712.2011.01121.x
The authors have no relevant financial information or potential conflicts of interest to disclose.
Supervising Editor: Jeffrey Kline, MD.
A related commentary appears on page 797.
- Issue published online: 15 AUG 2011
- Article first published online: 15 AUG 2011
- Received March 8, 2011; revision received April 8, 2011; accepted April 11, 2011.
Vol. 18, Issue 9, 1011, Article first published online: 11 SEP 2011
This article has been cited by:
- 1¿Es seguro realizar infiltraciones o aspiraciones articulares en pacientes anticoagulados con acenocumarol?, Reumatología Clínica, 2015, 11, 1, 9, , , , , , ,
- 2Is It Safe to Perform Joint Infiltrations or Aspirations in Patients Anticoagulated With Acenocoumarol?, Reumatología Clínica (English Edition), 2015, 11, 1, 9, , , , , , ,
- 3Is serum procalcitonin measurement a useful addition to a rheumatologist's repertoire? A review of its diagnostic role in systemic inflammatory diseases and joint infections, Rheumatology, 2015, 54, 2, 231, , ,
- 5Analysis of synovial inflammatory markers to differ infectious from gouty arthritis, Clinical Biochemistry, 2014, 47, 1-2, 49, ,
- 6Clinical and microbiological characteristics of patients with septic arthritis: A hospital-based study, Journal of Orthopaedics, 2014, 11, 2, 87, , , , , , , ,
- 7Clinical Management of Septic Arthritis in Cattle, Veterinary Clinics of North America: Food Animal Practice, 2014, 30, 1, 177, ,
- 8Dolor inguinal agudo no traumático en urgencias: artritis coxofemoral en paciente joven, SEMERGEN - Medicina de Familia, 2014,, , ,
- 9Gram and acridine orange staining for diagnosis of septic arthritis in different patient populations, International Orthopaedics, 2014, 38, 6, 1283, , , , , , , , , ,
- 10Indicators for Detection of Septic Arthritis in the Acutely Swollen Joint Cohort of Those Without Joint Prostheses, Orthopedics, 2014, 37, 2, e98, , ,
- 11Performance of Gram and Acridine-orange staining in hand phlegmon, Journal of Plastic, Reconstructive & Aesthetic Surgery, 2014, 67, 10, 1451, , ,
- 12Rheumatological disorders and fever, Current Medicine Research and Practice, 2014, 4, 4, 177, ,
- 13Synovial IL-6 AS Inflammatory Marker in Periprosthetic Joint Infections, The Journal of Arthroplasty, 2014, 29, 6, 1105, ,
- 14A “Top Five” list for emergency medicine: a policy and research agenda for stewardship to improve the value of emergency care, The American Journal of Emergency Medicine, 2013, 31, 10, 1520, ,
- 15CD64 as a potential biomarker in septic arthritis, BMC Infectious Diseases, 2013, 13, 1, 278, , , ,
- 16Characteristics of patients with definite septic arthritis at Hamad General Hospital, Qatar: a hospital-based study from 2006 to 2011, Clinical Rheumatology, 2013, 32, 7, 969, , , , , , , ,
- 18Osteomyelitis and septic arthritis in children, Current Opinion in Pediatrics, 2013, 25, 1, 58,
- 20The use of procalcitonin in the diagnosis of bone and joint infection: a systemic review and meta-analysis, European Journal of Clinical Microbiology & Infectious Diseases, 2013, 32, 6, 807, , , , , , , ,
- 21Advances in the management of bacterial septic arthritis, International Journal of Clinical Rheumatology, 2012, 7, 3, 335, ,
- 22Febrile conditions in rheumatology, Clinical Rheumatology, 2012, 31, 12, 1649, ,