Presented at the Canadian Association of Emergency Physicians annual conference, Victoria, British Columbia, Canada, June 2007.
A Population-based Study of the Association Between Socioeconomic Status and Emergency Department Utilization in Ontario, Canada
Version of Record online: 15 AUG 2011
© 2011 by the Society for Academic Emergency Medicine
Academic Emergency Medicine
Volume 18, Issue 8, pages 836–843, August 2011
How to Cite
Khan, Y., Glazier, R. H., Moineddin, R. and Schull, M. J. (2011), A Population-based Study of the Association Between Socioeconomic Status and Emergency Department Utilization in Ontario, Canada. Academic Emergency Medicine, 18: 836–843. doi: 10.1111/j.1553-2712.2011.01127.x
The authors have no disclosures or conflicts of interest to report.
Supervising Editor: Lowell Gerson, PhD.
- Issue online: 15 AUG 2011
- Version of Record online: 15 AUG 2011
- Received December 8, 2010; revisions received February 3 and February 7, 2011; accepted February 7, 2011.
- 1Canadian Institute for Health Information. Understanding Emergency Department Wait Times. Ottawa, Ontario: Canadian Institute for Health Information, 2005.
- 9The Canada Health Act: Overview and Options? Available at: http://www.parl.gc.ca/Content/LOP/ResearchPublications/944-e.htm. Accessed May 23, 2011..
- 10HealthCanada. 2003 First Ministers’ Accord on Health Care Renewal. Available at: http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/hcs-sss/delivery-prestation/fptcollab/2003accord/index-eng.php. Accessed May 23, 2011.
- 11Primary care in disadvantaged populations. In: JaakkimainenL, UpshurR, SchultzS, eds. Primary Care in Ontario. Toronto: Institute for Clinical Evaluative Sciences, 2006., , , .
- 14College of Physicians and Surgeons of Ontario. 2005 Survey of Ontario’s Physicians: Access Challenges Ahead. Toronto: College of Physicians and Surgeons of Ontario, 2006.
- 15SF-36 Health Survey Manual and Interpretation Guide. Boston, MA: New England Medical Center, 1993., , , et al.
- 17Inter-rater reliability of a computerized presenting-complaint-linked triage system in an urban emergency department. Can J Emerg Med. 2003; 5:323–9., , , , .
- 18Statistics Canada. Canadian Community Health Survey (CCHS): Cycle 1.1: extending the wealth of health data in Canada. Available at: http://www.statcan.ca/english/concepts/health/cchsinfo.htm. Accessed May 23, 2011.
- 19World Health Organization. International Statistical Classification of Diseases and Related Health Problems: Tenth Revision, 2nd edn. Geneva, Switzerland: World Health Organization, 2004.
- 20The Johns Hopkins University. Johns Hopkins ACG Case-Mix Adjustment System. Available at: http://www.acg.jhsph.edu. Accessed May 23, 2011.
- 24Ontario College of Family Physicians. Where Have All the Family Doctors Gone? Toronto, Ontario: Ontario College of Family Physicians, 2001.
- 25Characteristics of primary care practice. In: JaakkimainenL, UpshurR, Klein-GeltinkJE, et al., eds. Primary Care in Ontario: ICES Atlas. Toronto: Institute for Clinical Evaluative Sciences, 2006., , , .
- 27Emergency department use by CTAS Levels IV and V patients. Can J Emerg Med. 2006; 8:317–22., .