Presented at the Pediatric Academic Societies annual meeting, Honolulu HI, May 2008, and the Pediatric Academic Societies annual meeting, Baltimore MD, May 2009.
Original Research Contribution
Emergency Department Crowding Is Associated with Decreased Quality of Analgesia Delivery for Children with Pain Related to Acute, Isolated, Long-bone Fractures
Article first published online: 13 DEC 2011
© 2011 by the Society for Academic Emergency Medicine
Academic Emergency Medicine
Special Issue: Proceedings of the 2011 AEM Consenus Conference: Interventions to Assure Quality in the Crowded Emergency Department Guest Editors: James R. Miner, MD Manish N. Shah, MD, MPH
Volume 18, Issue 12, pages 1330–1338, December 2011
How to Cite
Sills, M. R., Fairclough, D. L., Ranade, D., Mitchell, M. S. and Kahn, M. G. (2011), Emergency Department Crowding Is Associated with Decreased Quality of Analgesia Delivery for Children with Pain Related to Acute, Isolated, Long-bone Fractures. Academic Emergency Medicine, 18: 1330–1338. doi: 10.1111/j.1553-2712.2011.01136.x
MRS, DLF, and DR received support from the Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (5R03HS016418) and the Emergency Medicine Foundation.
MRS was supported by the Riggs Family/Health Policy Grant from the American College of Emergency Physicians, Grant 1 R03 HS016418-01A1 from the Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality and by the Children’s Hospital Research Institute.
The authors have no relevant financial information or potential conflicts of interest to disclose.
Supervising Editor: James W. Fox, MD.
- Issue published online: 13 DEC 2011
- Article first published online: 13 DEC 2011
- Received November 6, 2010; revision received January 4, 2011; accepted January 18, 2011.
- 13Institute of Medicine. Emergency Care for Children: Growing Pains. Washington, DC: National Academies Press, 2007.
- 14Emergency Department Utilization and Capacity. The Robert Wood Johnson Foundation. Available at: http://www.rwjf.org/files/research/072109policysynthesis17.emergencyutilization.pdf. Accessed Apr 20, 2011., .
- 16Joint Commission Resources I. Approaches to Pain Management: An Essential Guide for Clinical Leaders. Oakbrook Terrace, IL: Joint Commission on Accreditation of Healthcare Organizations, 2003.
- 18Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality. Introduction to the HCUP Nationwide Emergency Department Sample (NEDS), 2007. Available at: http://www.hcup-us.ahrq.gov/db/nation/neds/NEDS_Introduction_2007v2.jsp. Accessed Apr 20, 2011.
- 21Clinical validation of FLACC: preverbal patient pain scale. Pediatr Nurs. 2003; 29:140–6., .
- 39U.S. Census Bureau. 2005–2009 American Community Survey 5-Year Estimates: Adams County, Colorado. Available at: http://factfinder.census.gov/servlet/ADPTable?_bm=y&-context=adp&-qr_name=ACS_2009_5YR_G00_DP5YR5&-ds_name=ACS_2009_5YR_G00_&tree_id=5309&-redoLog=true&-_caller=geoselect&-geo_id=05000US08001&-format=&-_lang=en. Accessed May 16, 2011.